Y skinnies up front with et streets on rear???

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoken to a few people about this but hoping to get a solid reason for this.Why do you have to run skinnies up front when running MT ET on the rears? i know alot of other cars run stock front tires with the et streets on the rear. i talked to some viper owners and they are running stock tires up front, but most people are saying YOU MUST RUN SKINNIES UP FRONT SO YOU DON'T HIT THE WALL.

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you see people doing it too sheyster.how many people have went out of control with the radials up front????I'm going to get slicks for the back but didn't want to get skinnies up front. How many people against running the radials up front?

Reaction score
Trent, If you don't want to get the skinnies up in the front, be very careful. I tried it once and will never do it again. The car will walk with radials on the front, if your car is making any kind of power.

OP
OP
F

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so that means everyone here running et are running the purner set up. should i wait for the 17" to come out or get the 16" set up?

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it ok to run drag radials on the rears while still keeping the stock pilots up front ?? thanx
smile.gif

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent,

Albert and Dan are correct. Do not try running using radial and bias tires mixed. Several Vipers have bit the retaining wall with that combination.

If you are on a budget, I suggest the following. Purchase a few spare tire rims and fit them with bias ply tires to use on the front. The combination will not match the purners on the rear but you will save a few hundred bucks and the spare rims can polish up nicely.

Purner is supposed to be coming out with a complete set of wheels that are less expensive, maybe he will chime in on this topic for you.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastFreddie:
I got a brand new set of hoosiers in the garage but im afraid to put them on without skinnies upfront... I will not put skinnies on since i street race and need stopping power on the spot... How safe is it to run the hoosiers with stock tires/wheels in the front stricktly for street use??? Do i have to use skinnies which i won't and prolly end up buying a set of nittos or something...

Please advise

thnx

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get the Michelin Club Slicks - they're radials, $65 each

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the issue is really that you don't want the transient response of your front tires to be quicker than that of your rears. With radial fronts and bias-ply rears --especially wrinkle-walls -- the front of the car responds to steering inputs immediately, while the rear has a significant delay. That's what makes the car so unstable when the two are mixed -- the back end "lags" the front, making it very easy to get into oversteer.

Drag radials on the rear are fine to mix with stock fronts, as long as you don't take any really hard corners. Hoosiers racing radials would be fine on the back -- stiffer/stickier rear tires just means the car understeers, which is safe. Hoosier drag slicks would have the same issue as Mickey Thompson cheater slicks.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone want a like new set of Nitto drag radials and use your stock fronts. The Nitto's fit on front wheels.

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weight transfer from lessening the front tire wheel weight is the primary reason.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it ok to run drag radials on the rears while still keeping the stock pilots up front ?? thanx
i run mine with pilots in the front and BFG drags on the rear.no problem at all.
:2tu:

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skinnies reduce rolling resistance. Less drag from a smaller footprint and about 50#s of unsprung weight off the front of the car. Major advantage!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4