yes, another side sill repair question

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to have both side sills repaired and have read through nearly every thread on this subject. My 96 gts has headers, Borla, and no cats. The stock insulation is in pretty good shape except for an area on each where the cat was.

I will be adding vents front and rear. Has anyone tried a high temp paint or coating on the inside of the sills? Also, I was thinking about going without the insulation. I read that several people have done this with good results. If any of those individuals are reading this, how are the sills holding up?

Thanks, Bill

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Jet Hot coating on the Borla exhaust where it goes through the side-sill. This has worked very well, even on the stock cats, which were opened to 3 inches. I have not had a heat problem for 15,000 miles.
Jerry

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry Scott[CO];2766215 said:
I used Jet Hot coating on the Borla exhaust where it goes through the side-sill. This has worked very well, even on the stock cats, which were opened to 3 inches. I have not had a heat problem for 15,000 miles.
Jerry

is the jet hot a DIY thing or did you send it off somewhere :eater:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother painted the inside of his sills with a heat resistant coating but left the insulation in. His main concern was to lower the heat so that white paint would not yellow. His was a 96 White RT/10.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why? because the pipes behind em get over 600degrees. Sure it might be no prob when your crusin and have airflow, but when your sitting in traffic or a long light its basically cooking em.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE=Dom426h;2766580]why? because the pipes behind em get over 600degrees. Sure it might be no prob when your cruising and have airflow, but when your sitting in traffic or a long light its basically cooking em.[/QUOTE]

OK, I give.... You're right!! I just don't sit in traffic I guess?? :dunno: I'll be putting the insulation back in later this year since I need to install the cats for emissions. The insulation is a must if cats are installed!!

(I look at it like this: I'm only 160lbs if I leave it out..:2tu:)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Side sill heat has been an issue with the Viper from the start. Visit our website, we have many solutions. Venting the side sills really helps.

Feel free to call, I can give lots of advice.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recommend considering a procedure called Flame Spraying. It's a procedure done by industrial coating shops. To put it simply, they can use any type of metal alloy, and from a powdered form, it combines with super hot gasses as it passes through a spray gun and onto the surface of whatever your spraying. It has the same benefits as jet coating, but some would argue it also has better at both containing and dissipating heat. The finished product on the surface is thick and coarse, preventing heat from getting through. In addition, the coarse surface has more surface area for heat to dissipate from. I had this done on a custom exhaust system I had built for my Corvette ZR1, and even when they are as hot as they can get, I can still touch the header's primary tubes without burning my hand. This might be a good option for you.

FYI - Flame spraying is not designed to be pretty and shiny when done, but if your spraying pipes behind the sills, it shouldn't matter. You can easily find more info on this online.

Just my $.02.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my 2002 RT/10, I got rid of the stock cats, replaced with high flow cats from Roe racing with their thermal wrap (which is good for temps up to 1200 degrees). front and rear of the side sills are now vented. sills still get warm but will not burn you. new paint on the sills is holding up quite well.

when I pull into my garage, I can feel the heat pouring out of the vents, more so the front than the rear.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone answered why you feel the need to remove the OE insulation ?

is it weight savings ?

especially on a light colored car, be careful of yellowing without it

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red heat: Did you still use the stock insulation?

Yes! the hi flo catalytic converters are much skinnier than the flow restricting stock cats. everything fits in the side sill (stock insulation and the new thermal wrap)