Yet another rearend question

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Rt10, K&N filters, smooth tubes, corsa cat back exhaust. everything else is cosmetic and audio mods so therefore not imperative to this thread. my question is what is recommended for the rearend? stock, 331, 355, ? what? too many **** types and im no mechanic, i just like to drive and drive with power. the only futur upgrades im considering is the roe supercharger and aluminum flywheel. so whats recommended in conjunction with those posible upgrades and/or with what i already have? also one last and most important point; i use this monster as a daily driver, its a grocery getter as well as a serious roadtrip machine (6000 mile trips) and i wont sacrifice this luxury for anything, so will an upgraded rearend be for me ( actually for my car, my *ss is already upgraded, LOL)

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my '99 RT/10 upgraded to 3:55 gears by Jason Heffner at Heffner's Performance. Although I'm not a daily driver, I do drive it 3-4 times a week. The gears have made a noticeable difference with acceleration off the line as well as more functional use of 5th and 6th gears...and there quite, no more whining in the higher gears.

All the credit goes to Jason...

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car isn't heavily modded then 3.55 gears are the best bang for the buck. I agree with Kevin, you'll notice the acceleration improvement with the 3.55 gears and it makes 5th and 6th gear more useable (although I still rarely use 6th gear). Jason Heffner did mine too and it's probably the cheapest seat-of-the-pants mod I've done to my car.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guys having second thoughts about their 3.55 gears all are running very high horsepower cars and are finding the 3.55's a little too deep at the dragstrip, where they're having to shift into fifth gear before the end of the 1/4 mile. If your car is pushing less than 500 HP, or aren't a drag racing fanatic, you will not regret a switch to 3.55's. I just had 3.55's installed in my 2001 GTS, and they've made that creampuff come alive.