Yet another statistic

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your misfortune. Your worst nightmare has now passed. (I know it is my worst nightmare anyway) Now wake up and go on with your dream of owning and driving the baddest american-made car ever made. Whether you fix it or get another one ... you have opened the eyes of all Viper owners on this forum and perhaps saved one of us from making a misjudgement that could injure ourself or our passengers. Glad everyone is OK. Keep us updated as the repairs are made. We want to see a picture of you standing by your Viper with a smile when it is done! Feelin' for ya! :rolleyes:

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick,

So glad everyone's OK. As we say in the flying business, "Those that have & those that will." The Snake can get away from you and all of us have had it happen, especially when we're low on seat time. Once you're back up & running I'd suggest Auto Crossing it...learn the limits in a safe environment and then track it as many have already suggested.

Thanks for the guts to post. Best wishes.

Paul :usa:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was demand on it being totalled!
why? can they gurantee that it will handle high speeds... doubt it.
the frame must have at least a minor bend...
push for a total!!
glad everyone is okay...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From looking at wrecks for sale on ebay and seeing what the cars looked like that were totaled by insurance and now for sale on ebay, I'd say yours will be totaled.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year from now you won't even think about this. It will pass and you will have another new GTS.

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely fight the ticket - it could have a big impact on your insurance cost (and whether you'd even be able to get coverage) down the road. While it's good to learn from your mistakes, don't be too quick to take the blame. You were under the speed limit, accelerating strongly (but not dangerously), and hit the curb. I don't think that deserves a $600 ticket, regardless of the end result of the accident.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that the chances of that ticket holding up in court is slim unless the cop saw you. Who's to say you were reckless? You hit a slick spot, spun out, end of story. It sure would be worth the bucks to hire a lawyer as this should be easy to beat. Good luck and happy you are unharmed.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the revenue enhancement patrols (who's state and local budgets are kinda low right now) it makes no difference if you really were reckless or just hit some slick spot in the road. The Judge will be on their side. Happened to me a few years ago, in a customers Porsche. HE had bald tires (a doctors car!) and I hit a puddle after a brief afternoon shower. Oil came off the asphalt.....spun three times. I hit NOTHING, except a low hanging branch which cracked the windshield. 6 points! He threatened to stick me with a 'leaving the scene of an accident' too! No property damage other than the W/S. I had to go to the doctor and tell him I wrecked his car, and get him to sign a form from said deputy stating that he wasn't there, or they would revoke HIS license! I'm glad that was 10 years ago, but nothing has really changed since then.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sick!
Glad you're ok.
I say the insurance company will total it.
I let a friend drive mine but only after reminding him absolutely no wot with the car in the smallest amout of a turn.
Good luck and keep us posted

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This all took place at a company event out of town, and I'm still stuck at the conference. Gossip amongst my coworkers has turned into outright ridicule, so I ended up hiding away back in the hotel room to post these. I'm already embarrassed as hell, and kicking myself for such a newbie error as letting it fishtail in just the lower half of first gear.

Sorry for your misfortune and sorry your co-workers have to be such dumb basses. Probably none of them have had the chance to drive a car with any torque higher than that of a Honda Accord or any other average car out there today. So they have absolutely no clue what it is like to drive a car with 500+ foot pounds of torque. I was very careful when I first got my Viper, but things can happen. About a year after I had my Viper I came out of a hairpin turn too fast and the car fishtailed all over and I though I was going to hit the curb. Luckily I recovered. Another time I was turning left from a stoplight and maybe hit the gas a little too hard or I hit a patch of oil, but it fishtailed all over the place and I'm lucky I didn't hit the curb on that one too. Those are my only 2 near misses.

You may get a lot of playa haters saying smart asp comments to you when you drive your Viper unfortunately. For instance, my car bucks a little bit before it gets warmed up completely and it may appear to a bystander that I don't know how to drive a stick shift. :D Which isn't the case, but I drove by my neighbors house while the car was bucking a little and he yelled at me, "learn how to drive a stick shift...." Yeah, OK buddy. :rolleyes:

Another time I parked my car in my driveway and opened the hood up to cool it down and avoid heat soak after I got back from some spirited driving. These young kids in my neighborhood drove their bikes by and thought my car brokedown in the driveway since my hood was up and for the next few months the dumbasps yelled at me something to the effect "ha ha your car broke down in your own driveway." Ok lil' playa haters. :rolleyes: Needless to say my neigbors don't like me too much because I have a lot of nice toys. But, I am about the nicest guy in the World, so F' 'em.

Oh, then another time I drove through this parking lot where a lot of people park their nice cars and watch people cruising by off the famous Woodward Avenue. I must have been riding my clutch a little when I shifted from a stop at one point and it must have burned a little cause as I drove by this guy in a Firebird yells "way to burn up your clutch dumb asp." :rolleyes:

You get the picture, there are a lot of people out there who will never own a car like a Viper and they have to try and put you in your place to try and make themselves feel a little better. I just laugh at them.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This all took place at a company event out of town, and I'm still stuck at the conference. Gossip amongst my coworkers has turned into outright ridicule, so I ended up hiding away back in the hotel room to post these. I'm already embarrassed as hell, and kicking myself for such a newbie error as letting it fishtail in just the lower half of first gear.

Probably none of them have had the chance to drive a car with any torque higher than that of a Honda Accord or any other average car out there today. So they have absolutely no clue what it is like to drive a car with 500+ foot pounds of torque.
You may get a lot of playa haters saying smart asp comments to you when you drive your Viper
Exactly! The stories I could tell you. :)