Yikes! ACR popped out of first this morning...should I be worried??

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm stopped at a light, gonna make a right. I slowly release the clutch to pull forward and...bang! car stops and shifter has moved to neutral.

Put it in first, kept driving, no prob...

Is this even possible for a healthy tranny? I can't imagine that I pushed the shifter only halfway into gear...

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can imagine my chances of my Dodge mechanic here investigating it.

"Hi, so what did you find?"

"Nuthin. Never happened."

"So, you aren't goint to take any other action?"

"Nope. Works fine. They all do that."

"I see. Well, thanks, then."

tongue.gif

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I vote that you did not fully engage first. Easy to do if you're mind is focused elsewhere.</FONT f>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd- You sound a little dis-illusioned.
Like the time I asked the techs at CAAP about the oil problems I had with my 92.
"Oil consumption? Joe? Bill? Frank? Ever heard about a ring problem with the 92's? Nope, a first for me. Try using a heavier wieght oil. Should do the trick."
Ok guys, thanks (It was a known recall in 93).
I am sure as soon as I left the building they were all rolling around on the floor laughin' at me!
Ahhhh...
But Chuck Tator went to bat for me and got me a new set of Rocker Covers/side sills. Made up for the money I put into the rebuild.
Keep your fingers crossed, maybe it won't happen again.

OP
OP
T

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Torrey:
Todd- You sound a little dis-illusioned.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm not all down on service--just on MY guys HERE. (Central Dodge in pleasanton, supposedly 5 star.). They've been VERY poor fixing what I bring the car in for ("they all do that"). Plus they park my car right next to all the other cars even though there is not a scratch on it. I really don't like that.

Now, if i drive an hour and 45 minutes up to Petaluma, THOSE guys are GOLDEN. They really roll out the red carpet, keep your viper far from the other cars, and do all they can to make your experience a good one.

I've also heard good things about Steven's Creek, so since they're closer, I think they're the place I'll go for anything big.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The tranny is so-called Borg-Warner, which used to be good, I hear. Then Allison bought them, and now its called a "Tremec" unit. (I could have some of the names wrong, but the point is, that it WAS a good brand, but now is made in the third world.)

The manufacturing of the TREMEC was moved to Mexico, (Thanks to cheap labor and NAFTA), and the sound you hear from your tranny is that giant sucking sound of manufacturing jobs going over the border.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car still under factory warranty? Do you have the extended warranty?

I have seen this problem with first gear. Hopefully this was just a fluke. But take it out and get on it hard in first gear...does it pop out? Then try the other gears.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Borg sold the trans to Tremec. Tremec is a Mexican company, both in ownership and manufacture location. ZF was looking to buy Tremec, but the deal fell through.</FONT f>