Young Punks Take GT-40 for Test Drive and Diss Viper

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT-40 Test Drive

This Roush Facility is only about 1 mile from where I work and is right across the street from the Detroit Lions new training facility. I wnet over there and the Ferrari 360 Modena coupe that they are using to benchmark the GT-40 against was sitting outside, but no GT-40's were out. Must have them inside under wraps. These lucky young Gen Y punks got to take two GT-40's for a test drive and were even dissing the chrome shifter handle in the GT-40, what morons.

Some quotes from the article: During an 18-year career with Chrysler, Hannemann was the developmental engineer on the Dodge Viper, one of the GT's main competitors. One of Hannemann's problems with the Viper is that it never turned the heads of young women.

"I always said the Viper is a cartoon," he told Burdiss. "The GT is a car."

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good comments :rolleyes:

Obviously they know what they have to compare to though.

$140k better d@mned well have good performance!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Viper not turning heads of you women...? Umm... I think they better have a talk with the 3 of them I had stacked in my passenger seat the other night...LMAO. Maybe that guys problem was that "Young Women" didnt want a WEIRDO in a Viper, heh.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the most insane thing I have read in a long time. I may be young (23), but I am still MUCH more of a fan of the Vipers. A Ford is a Ford, plain and simple. A Viper is something completely different.

What a joke.

Zach

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some comments about the Viper I don't like, but can at least see where the person is coming from...

But the Viper not turning heads? That is the stupidest comment I every heard. I sometimes feel uncomfortable driving the Viper, as everyone just stares with there mouth open. People scream out of windows, point, and go crazy when the thing roars past. People gather around at gas stations, and forget about taking it to a club. This car creates a stir like nothing I have ever drove.

Yesterday was a prime example. It was 'Bring your kids to work day', and all the kids were gathered around the Viper wanting to sit in it, see the engine, and take pictures. They loved it.... Mind you, we have Corvettes, Porsches, etc... in the lot as well. Kids didn't even notice these cars.

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the most insane thing I have read in a long time. I may be young (23), but I am still MUCH more of a fan of the Vipers. A Ford is a Ford, plain and simple. A Viper is something completely different.

What a joke.

Zach

That is like saying a Viper is "just a Dodge." Which reminds me of a funny story. Two years ago I am sitting in a parking lot in my Viper ready to take off when about 3 young boys around 10-12 years old stroll by on skateboards. One says look a Viper, cool!!!! And then his buddy says, "it's just a Dodge." To which the original boy says, "yeah you're right, what a piece of crap and gives me the thumbs down. Dumb-azzes.

Just because the GT-40 doesn't have an Italian sounding nameplate on it or the Viper either for that matter, it doesn't mean they can't be World class sports cars and compete with the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, or whoever in terms of performance. Now in terms of perception and the exotic look and feel that only a car like a Ferrari can stir in a person, that is a different matter entirely. Remember these cars, the Viper and the GT-40, are built by special hand-picked teams at each company, not the same people who design the family sedans.

This whole article proves that the majority of the youth these days don't know what the heck a performance car is. Now if the car had a big non-functional wing that they bought off E-bay for $80 and a big fart can exhaust pipe, they'd be going crazy over it. Looks like people like the few sensible young people on this board that responded to this post are in the minority as far their fellow Gen Y'ers are concerned.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT40 is a bad A$$ car with some bad A$$ history but these kids also probably think Megatron is way tougher than Optimus Prime. Which is crazy.

Everyone knows that Optimus Prime is tougher. He is an 18 wheeler. Megatron was a little stupid gun.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a joke.

Zach

That is like saying a Viper is "just a Dodge." Just because the GT-40 doesn't have an Italian sounding nameplate on it or the Viper either for that matter, it doesn't mean they can't be World class sports cars and compete with the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, or whoever in terms of performance. Now in terms of perception and the exotic look and feel that only a car like a Ferrari can stir in a person, that is a different matter entirely. Remember these cars, the Viper and the GT-40, are built by special hand-picked teams at each company, not the same people who design the family sedans.

This whole article proves that the majority of the youth these days don't know what the heck a performance car is. Now if the car had a big non-functional wing that they bought off E-bay for $80 and a big fart can exhaust pipe, they'd be going crazy over it. Looks like people like the few sensible young people on this board that responded to this post are in the minority as far their fellow Gen Y'ers are concerned.

I am wondering if this is a rip on me or a compliment?? I love the concept of bringing back the GT, but I have had bad experiences with Ford, and the Viper is the head-turner for me. Again, I agree with you completley and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, both of these cars are built specially for a specific crowd. Maybe I am just enthralled and overwhelmed by the Viper, and am excitedley awaiting my first one (within a few months).

Regarding the comment about the wing and fart can, I could not agree with you more! I find nothing funnier than seeing an Eclipse, Civic, or any other rice rocket shooting around with a Yuban can strapped to the end of their pea-shooter pipe and a primered (unpainted) wing bolted to their trunk. I can't wait until I get a Viper and get revved on by these fools....laughs galore!

Most Gen Y'ers are concerned with things other than responsiblilty. I speak for the minority since I graduated college in 3 years in 2000, got married in 2001, and have been a commodities trader/broker since my graduation date. Responsibility, and it seems taste from this article, hit people at different stages of life. Heck, there are tons of adults still driving Corvettes! :)

Zach

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT40 is a bad A$$ car with some bad A$$ history but these kids also probably think Megatron is way tougher than Optimus Prime. Which is crazy.

Everyone knows that Optimus Prime is tougher. He is an 18 wheeler. Megatron was a little stupid gun.

Yep, Optimus Prime rules all

Remember, The Transformers are more than meets the eye ;)

Zach

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait until I get a Viper and get revved on by these fools....laughs galore!

It gets old quick.

I'm sure it does.

I am just so [******] excited to get a Viper!! I can't remember the last time that I was this excited to get anything!

Zach

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteI can't remember the last time that I was this excited to get anything!

Zach

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should be nicer to your wife ;)

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a joke.

Zach

That is like saying a Viper is "just a Dodge."

I am wondering if this is a rip on me or a compliment?? I love the concept of bringing back the GT, but I have had bad experiences with Ford, and the Viper is the head-turner for me. Zach

Not a rip on you, but read what you wrote. A Ford may be just a Ford, but a Dodge is just a Dodge too from they way you are looking at things. You are falling for this whole perception thing too. I mean Ford owns such luxury brands as Aston Martin, Land Rover, and Jaguar. Are they "just Fords" too? What if instead of calling it the Ford GT-40 it was the Aston Martin GT-40, would that make you think it was a better car? It's the same company building it you know. Or since DCX owns Mercedes, is a $100,000+ Mercedes just a Chrysler? Who cares what the nameplate says as long as the car is awesome. The Viper is not a Chrysler K-car and the GT-40 will not be a Ford Taurus.

The chief engineer for the GT-40 was stolen away from the Viper program from what I hear. The GT-40 will not be a "parts bin car" like the Viper was. They are not thrifting this program and the people involved in it are very competent people. It will probably be a better car than the Viper, but also cost about $60,000 more too. If I had the money I'd buy one to put alongside my Viper in the garage. Let's put it this way, if I was in the market for a new toy and the GT-40 was priced the same as the Viper SRT-10, I'd take the GT-40 in a heart beat. I mean it captured the very essence of why I loved the GEN I and GEN II Vipers. The Gen III Viper has lost it's heart grabbing soul as far as I'm concerned. I even bought a 1:18 scale model Ford GT-40 over the weekend, yellow with black stripes. That's as close as I'll getting to owning the real thing for awhile. Only thing I don't like about the GT-40 is that it will come with the supercharger out of the factory. I'd rather start wih a naturally aspirated 500 hp car like the Viper has and then have the option of adding even more with a supercharger. Having 500 hp out of the factory because of the stock supercharger kind of limits you for what mods you can do.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteI can't remember the last time that I was this excited to get anything!

Zach

Maybe you should be nicer to your wife ;)

[/QUOTE]

She wants me to get it as much as I do! We just bought our first house and are closing escrow on May 31st, so I have to wait until that point...[******] house getting in the way of my Viper :)

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a rip on you, but read what you wrote. A Ford may be just a Ford, but a Dodge is just a Dodge too from they way you are looking at things. You are falling for this whole perception thing too. I mean Ford owns such luxury brands as Aston Martin, Land Rover, and Jaguar. Are they "just Fords" too? What if instead of calling it the Ford GT-40 it was the Aston Martin GT-40, would that make you think it was a better car? It's the same company building it you know. Or since DCX owns Mercedes, is a $100,000+ Mercedes just a Chrysler? Who cares what the nameplate says as long as the car is awesome. The Viper is not a Chrysler K-car and the GT-40 will not be a Ford Taurus.

The chief engineer for the GT-40 was stolen away from the Viper program from what I hear. The GT-40 will not be a "parts bin car" like the Viper was. They are not thrifting this program and the people involved in it are very competent people. It will probably be a better car than the Viper, but also cost about $60,000 more too. If I had the money I'd buy one to put alongside my Viper in the garage. Let's put it this way, if I was in the market for a new toy and the GT-40 was priced the same as the Viper SRT-10, I'd take the GT-40 in a heart beat. I mean it captured the very essence of why I loved the GEN I and GEN II Vipers. The Gen III Viper has lost it's heart grabbing soul as far as I'm concerned. I even bought a 1:18 scale model Ford GT-40 over the weekend, yellow with black stripes. That's as close as I'll getting to owning the real thing for awhile. Only thing I don't like about the GT-40 is that it will come with the supercharger out of the factory. I'd rather start wih a naturally aspirated 500 hp car like the Viper has and then have the option of adding even more with a supercharger. Having 500 hp out of the factory because of the stock supercharger kind of limits you for what mods you can do.

Good points! I may have not been clear in my wording. In my feeling, a Ford is a Ford due to my bad experiences with them. A GT-40 is a very radical departure from the Fords of late, so I am glad that they are tempting the exotic market! But, in my eyes once I company has done me wrong it is hard to see their products in a positive light. Plus, I am obsessed with Vipers and nothing even comes close for me!

Zach

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take these teeny boppers to a dodge facility where the team shows them the SRT-10 and watch them say the exact same things except interchange GT40 and Viper. Put yourself in their shoes at that age.

Now for the dork that says a viper doesn't turn younger ladies heads.... Maybe he was too busy looking at the younger guys instead of girls.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh how I love how the unknowing and unappreciative population get to be put into a Ford GT, or any other high quality perforrmance car. Then they start griping about stuff they don't know about? Switching superchargers for turbochargers?!? The shifter looks to hard to touch?!? What is their logic, those ungrateful bastids. If I were in that position, I'd have to ask to drive it. :D I think enough have been said about the "younger women" comment, so I'll leave it.
Good points! I may have not been clear in my wording. In my feeling, a Ford is a Ford due to my bad experiences with them. A GT-40 is a very radical departure from the Fords of late, so I am glad that they are tempting the exotic market! But, in my eyes once I company has done me wrong it is hard to see their products in a positive light. Plus, I am obsessed with Vipers and nothing even comes close for me!

Zach
Don't forget people have had problems with Dodge, and don't see the Viper in the brightest light. You can argue all day with that person, but you'll be going nowhere except butting heads.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT-40=High priced American NSX with a little bit more power.Only people that are morons would say things about the viper like that.If someone makes a 600 hp Mini cooper and it races a GT40 and it wins I'll laugh so hard every organ in me will come out and my eyes will come out of my skull LMAO.AHH TO LATE!!!!lol

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gt40, the only car to top my GTS in my book.

Let the initial scrambling over MSRP occur and see what happens the following year, I might be interested, you in Sean!!!

The GT40 has a hold of me on overall design much akin to a GenII Viper,.....time will tell, I tend to hold on to my cars for a while.

Any prototypes running around blue with white stripes, or all white with blue??

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT-40=High priced American NSX with a little bit more power.
I don't mean this to be a flame, but how do you see the GT as an American NSX? Only similarity I see is mid/rear engine. But consider heritage, design, etc. This car has more than just "a little bit more power". Compare <300 to 500.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How ugly would you have to be to not have the viper turn a womans head?
Cody, I have never seen an ugly dude in a Viper :D :D :D ..LOL Thas funny ... Hanemann is just a pissed of employee who never made it on the top. A girl once I swear looked like Linda blair in the Excorsist when her head looked like it turned 360. :D :D :D

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gt40, the only car to top my GTS in my book.

Let the initial scrambling over MSRP occur and see what happens the following year, I might be interested, you in Sean!!!

The GT40 has a hold of me on overall design much akin to a GenII Viper,.....time will tell, I tend to hold on to my cars for a while.

Any prototypes running around blue with white stripes, or all white with blue??

Ryan, if I have the cash you know I'm in!!!! I think they have 4 colors right now: yellow with black stripes, white with blue stripes, red with white stripes and that baby blue with light redish stripes. Actually all the 1:18 scale models of this are out right now made by Beanstalk. I just got the yellow and black one a few days ago and might get the red and black one too. They are only making 3 of the real ones this year and then I think 1,500 a year after that. I agree, this new GT-40 is one of those cars that stirs my soul, much like my GEN II Viper GTS did. Not many cars today do that to me. My old boss has a GT-40 on order.

I am going to drive by that parking lot from time to time to see if I catch one in action.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NEW Ford GT is NOT a GT-40. A GT-40 was a racing classic with it's crosshairs sighted on a prancing pony back in the mid 60s.

Todays car may look like a GT-40, but it's not. I would much rather have the sound of 6 carbs sucking air like a banshee 8" from my head and the the sound of 6K RPM from those bundle of snakes than an EFI airconditioned road car. Call me crazy, but it lost too much of it's racing history in the new incarnation.

As for these punks.. that will be the closest they come to any car above 20K LOL

MM

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NEW Ford GT is NOT a GT-40. A GT-40 was a racing classic with it's crosshairs sighted on a prancing pony back in the mid 60s.

Todays car may look like a GT-40, but it's not. I would much rather have the sound of 6 carbs sucking air like a banshee 8" from my head and the the sound of 6K RPM from those bundle of snakes than an EFI airconditioned road car. Call me crazy, but it lost too much of it's racing history in the new incarnation.

As for these punks.. that will be the closest they come to any car above 20K LOL

MM
I read it in Autoweek, Ford never copyrighted "GT40". A builder of GT40 parts bought the name. Ford started to make the new "GT40" (this is how you can tell which is a concept or production- look on the front lower part of the rocker panel). Ford inquired about buying back the name, and the business owner wanted too much for it. So Ford is sticking with the "GT" nameplate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62