Young Punks Take GT-40 for Test Drive and Diss Viper

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NEW Ford GT is NOT a GT-40. A GT-40 was a racing classic with it's crosshairs sighted on a prancing pony back in the mid 60s.

Todays car may look like a GT-40, but it's not. I would much rather have the sound of 6 carbs sucking air like a banshee 8" from my head and the the sound of 6K RPM from those bundle of snakes than an EFI airconditioned road car. Call me crazy, but it lost too much of it's racing history in the new incarnation.

As for these punks.. that will be the closest they come to any car above 20K LOL

MM
I read it in Autoweek, Ford never copyrighted "GT40". A builder of GT40 parts bought the name. Ford started to make the new "GT40" (this is how you can tell which is a concept or production- look on the front lower part of the rocker panel). Ford inquired about buying back the name, and the business owner wanted too much for it. So Ford is sticking with the "GT" nameplate.

I know the whole story behind all this naming deal and Ford not owning rights to the name "GT-40" anymore. It's just that when I think of a Ford GT, I think of a Mustang so I keep using the name GT-40 so no one gets confused. They should have called it the Ford GT-44 since it is 44" high and the original GT-40 was 40" high, hence its name. GT just sounds stupid.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NEW Ford GT is NOT a GT-40. A GT-40 was a racing classic with it's crosshairs sighted on a prancing pony back in the mid 60s.

Todays car may look like a GT-40, but it's not. I would much rather have the sound of 6 carbs sucking air like a banshee 8" from my head and the the sound of 6K RPM from those bundle of snakes than an EFI airconditioned road car. Call me crazy, but it lost too much of it's racing history in the new incarnation.

As for these punks.. that will be the closest they come to any car above 20K LOL

MM
I read it in Autoweek, Ford never copyrighted "GT40". A builder of GT40 parts bought the name. Ford started to make the new "GT40" (this is how you can tell which is a concept or production- look on the front lower part of the rocker panel). Ford inquired about buying back the name, and the business owner wanted too much for it. So Ford is sticking with the "GT" nameplate.

The term you are looking for is "trademarked", not "copyrighted".

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went to the "Fabulous" Fords show yesterday (4/27) in Buena Park California that's perhaps the largest Ford show on the west coast. With all the trailers there (Ford, SVT, Racing, Shelby Am, and Saleen), and perhaps over 3,000 entrants, I would have expected to see a GT there. But no GT was displayed. There wasn't even a GT-40 (real or replica). I think Ford can do better if they want to gain recognition in the exotic sports car field.

Funny how they'd rather ask the opinion of a 12 year old.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT40 was not much of an American car. Eventhough it was a "Ford", it was built in Slough England and I dont think a single American was on the Engineering team, headed by J.L.Wyer of Aston Martin. I think it origionally had 289ci fairlane motor in it.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When they talk about women not turning their heads when a Viper goes by, what age group would they be refering to? Do these so called women still wear diapers? After all, most of the people that were test driving this ford just got ***** trained only a few months earlier.
Boy are these people misinformed. I find women are some of the greatest Viper fans around.