Your experience at Nurburgring.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Europe with my family this September, and because I was a nice guy :), my wife permitted me to take a short detour of my own to Germanys Nurburgring to do a couple of laps while she stays with her family. Fellows, I would like to hear about your experiences. What car rental company did you use ( I am aware that most places do not allow their cars on a track and void insurance in case of an oops), what hotel to stay in, what to look for and what to avoid. I would of loved to do a lap or two in a Viper, but hear that "Zakspeed" (I think that’s the name) is not allowed to run Vipers there any longer, or something like that.

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be cool to see a Viper there. I checked out those companies, and for some reason I am not very enthusiastic to pay $600 -$1000 for 1/2 day (5pm -7:30PM?) for a somewhat an intermediate car. Is there a cost effective way of getting a decent car on the ring? I mean what are my options here, I am on a budget. Did anyone hear of GreenHell Racing?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some UK VCA members going to the Ring in late August, Ive just sent one of them a link to this thread, Im sure they will be able to give you some advice :)

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Plan your trip a little early and come say hello - you'll see us at the Ring on 26, 27, 28 & 29 August."
5 or 6 Vipers from the UK celebrating plus the German's who usually number around another 12.
Many other car enthusiasts out during that weekend too - it's a good meet and includes endurance racing Sat afternoon.
If you don't fancy ring hire and drive yourself, I'm sure one of us will take you out for a lap.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some UK VCA members going to the Ring in late August, Ive just sent one of them a link to this thread, Im sure they will be able to give you some advice :)
Thanks I appreciate it. I wish I was going in August instead of September. Already bought tikets to Ukraine for Sept. 18th

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Madmax and the boys have been a few times, Im sure if you want to know the full details of what's on offer there with accommodation etc, drop him a PM and he should be able to give you some advice :)

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It would be cool to see a Viper there. I checked out those companies, and for some reason I am not very enthusiastic to pay $600 -$1000 for 1/2 day (5pm -7:30PM?) for a somewhat an intermediate car. Is there a cost effective way of getting a decent car on the ring? I mean what are my options here, I am on a budget. Did anyone hear of GreenHell Racing?

That's actually quite funny. Unless you have raced a lot or have driven the "Ring", even those "intermediate" rental cars will be far more then you can handle around that track. Especially if you actually try to get under 10 min lap times on a track with other cars running. You'll see.:). But it will be fun and worth the money.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there a few years ago ...

Sixt was the rental car company I used and pricing was very reasonable
check out the Pistenklause restaurant as a fare number of racers hangout there (IIRC it's owned by Sabine Schmidts' family)
get your tickets at the fuel station across from the entrance road. they also have tons of collectables and souvenirs
at good prices

OP
OP

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Sixt allow you to take the car on the ring or you took it at your own risk? I heard that most companies void any insurance if you take the car to nurburgring.

I was there a few years ago ...

Sixt was the rental car company I used and pricing was very reasonable
check out the Pistenklause restaurant as a fare number of racers hangout there (IIRC it's owned by Sabine Schmidts' family)
get your tickets at the fuel station across from the entrance road. they also have tons of collectables and souvenirs
at good prices