Your older viper fuel filter

ViperJon1996

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently changed my fuel filter and MAN what a difference. Much harder acceleration. I guess I just didn't notice the slow power loss over the years. It was not fun getting it off however, big difference in performance and fuel consumption. WEEEEEEE!

OP
OP
V

ViperJon1996

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just notice that I was sticking $30.00 in there a lot less often. As for the actual numbers I can't say. The way that car is driven would have to be consistant to get an accurate account and I'm stickn it to the floor way too much for that.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see, well I have heard that when a filter is clogged the performance is obviously reduced (albeit minimally over time) so then the driver compensates without even realizing it and that is what actually reduces the mileage. Have also heard the PCM goes into open loop condition which basically just dumps fuel, either way very good to swap it out. I don't know if it has ever been done to my 94, guess I'm going to do that next as I love working on it :D

I know it is a pain in the ass, but I've read everything on it so I feel as prepared as can be. One thread said it was easier just to remove the line from the car and then do the disconnect on a bench, seems like that would be best anyone have any thoughts?

Also last question, do most of you just replace with the Mopar OEM or is there a better aftermarket filter? If OEM I'm just calling Chuck, but if something is better I'd like to use that (I've read that the OEM's can leak at the seams :omg: )

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped my first one out with no problems ('94) ... in/out, no issues but I'm now worried about doing it again on my current viper. I guess I'll find out soon too.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel filter $8.00. Repairs to the garage and hospital bills after insane berserk tool throwing and self mutilation spree, priceless........

I'm glad it was easy for you....sometimes it really isn't.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
really? What's wrong with them?

what's suppose to be better?

Don't know, that is why I was asking, I just know all the research I've done on oil filters everyone says stay away from Fram b/c the internals are sub-par compared to other manufacturers, just inquiring if the fuel filter is the same way or not, I don't know? Does everyone use Frams, or OEM or ????