Your thoughts on a 20,000 mile car

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok- Car Fax came back clean (thanks!), Ran VIN-came back clean.

It is a 1998 RT/10 with 20,000 miles but no hard top. No price quote yet and I am waiting on pictures. If I proceed I will have a Viper tech look it over.

A higher mileage car is more prone to paint nicks and chips but what other items should I be sure to look at? Can the tech tell anything about the condition of the clutch (without a tear down)?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!.

Bill
(is this the one :D :D :D )

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 32k & runs awesome. I have a ferrari dino with 157k & runs better than most all the way to 8k redline!. If properly maintained, I d rather have a driver than a garage queen.

S

SUN RA KAT

Have a Viper Tech give the car a good looky-see. I don't think 20,000 miles on a 4+ year old Viper is too many miles if it was taken care of. Seeing how much fun it is to drive these things, I suspect 4 winters prevented even more miles from being put on it. :D

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess one way to think of it, it made it to 20K with out any major problems.

I'd try to find the service records.

If its clean I wouldn't worry.

My car got a few rattles in it in the first year with extreme temperature changes. After that it has not changed appreciably. It has 25K miles on it and is a 98GTS. Still drives like a dream.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat 20K. It is all about the car and it's care. What would you think if you ran across a 4 year old SUV with "only" 20K on it? Most people would be pumped!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I would prefer 20K than 3K on a 1998. IMO, letting a car sit for extended periods and not allowing the parts to move and stay lubricated is much worse than a few miles (20K is nothing). VIPERS ARE DESIGNED TO BE DRIVEN, NOT PARKED!

My .02

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While shockingly low miles makes for impressive ads, for those in the know that plan to drive the car more than a tank of gas or 2 per year, miles (in moderation) are a good thing.

Might need a freshening up at that mileage, fluids, tires, pads, etc., but nothing major. Clutches rarely go that early from what I have read, and even then are not much to change, $500 bucks if you pay someone to do it. I wouldn't let that sway the purchase of the car or not.

I envy Vipers that get driven as it means their owners are enjoying them, what a novel idea!!!haha, Slaughter and Chuck come to mind.......

Good luck,

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I envy Vipers that get driven as it means their owners are enjoying them, what a novel idea!!!haha, Slaughter and Chuck come to mind.......

D@mn straight! Drive it!

To Wild Bill, in addition to fluids, etc., it might need new plugs (some will say plug wires as well, but I don't believe that).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have about 33-34K (Haven't looked at the odometer in a few months) on my RT/10 and no major problems. Only normal maintenance in the past 3 or 4 years (fluids, brakes, etc.). Changed the clutch this winter but it wasn't really necessary as there was quite a bit of life left in it. I say drive it. That's what they were intended for.