Z06 Ligenfelter Encounter

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonight was awesome! In 96 I had a LT1 corvette that I ran against a seriously hotrodded camaro. I smoked him! Fast forward to 2003, the guy has a 2003 Z06 Ligenfelter corvette w/the magna charger supercharger. Tells a mutual friend he will take my viper "any time, any place"
Tonight, saw him go down the road and just happened to have the viper out. Literally ran to my car and caught up with him.
Got behind him, reved my engine a little. He revs his and as he takes off, guns it and fish tails a little. I'm just thinking, if thats the best you can do, your history. So, I wiggle just a little back. At the next light, it is a 2 lane road, I lean out the window and identify myself and said lets do it. We went to a brand new deserted 4 lane street, and from a 30, 40 and 50 punch, blew him out of the water. Don't get me wrong, it ran well, and even from the 40 punch, he held with me for 20 feet, (should have gone to 1st) but then I left him standing. And yes, he was a decent driver, but it was awesome. When he caught up to me, I was nice about it, complimented on how strong his vette was and that was that! By the way, I switched out my shifter to a SVS shifter and i have never missed 3rd since. It is an awesome upgrade. Tight, no play, about 3/4 of an inch shorter than stock. Keith Laxton talked me into it.
Viper power! Yeah baby!
:cool:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Kill! :laugh:

What kind of power are you putting down? For the record most Magnacharger Z06 Vettes are making 450RWHP+ and weigh in at 3050lbs.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice! Feels good when you know he's talking crap and you CHASE him down to put him DOWN!! :2tu: :headbang:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...Is what you have in your signature all you have done to your car???? If that is so, and what Mopar426 says is true, then I'll be the first to say maybe driver error on the part of the Z06??

He had much less weight and similar rwhp he should have beaten you on paper...But obviously he didnt so good kill :2tu:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...Is what you have in your signature all you have done to your car???? If that is so, and what Mopar426 says is true, then I'll be the first to say maybe driver error on the part of the Z06??

He had much less weight and similar rwhp he should have beaten you on paper...But obviously he didnt so good kill :2tu:

I doubt it was driver error. My brother has a LPE S/C he dynoed 451rwhp
w/378rwtq. The Torque of the Viper will walk the vette. The vette is geared (3:43)from the factory much more aggressive than the viper(3:07) that explains why the vette stayed with him for the first part of the race. After that its over.
Good Kill!!!!! :headbang:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His Viper has 3.55 gears...So the aggressive gearing of the Z meant nothing.....I agree with you the torque advantage is clearly on the Vipers side plus with those gears it all makes sense now :headbang: What was I thinking :smirk:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His Viper has 3.55 gears...So the aggressive gearing of the Z meant nothing.....I agree with you the torque advantage is clearly on the Vipers side plus with those gears it all makes sense now :headbang: What was I thinking :smirk:

Oh I didn't know he had 3:55 gears. That evened the playing field. No wonder he mashed him.

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask what the svs shifter set you back. I have the b & m and dont like it at all. I dont want to go back to stock but I'm definately getting rid of the B & M.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Kill! :laugh:

What kind of power are you putting down? For the record most Magnacharger Z06 Vettes are making 450RWHP+ and weigh in at 3050lbs.
Yeah but Vettes have no torque!!! :p Another notch for the king of the road. :2tu:

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't feel there is an appreciable difference in throw and it's rough getting it in gear (comes out fine a little too easy actually).

I'm going to take another stab at adjusting it, any insight on procedure which will yield the best results? Thanks in advance.

Phil

BTW, I'd still be intereste din knowing more about the svs

OP
OP
R

rgavitt2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SVS shifter installed was $350. installed for $150 additional. I did not want to go to a short shift, but I had an issue with missing third under pressure, and I felt like the stock was to loose. The only negative is going into reverse is tough, takes practice. Not sure if that is because of the install or all feel that way. The other comment regarding last night was I just put new back tires on. Came in from JonB Parts rack and I KNOW that helped because it grabbed every gear.Hell, I chirped 4th.Prior to the new tires, a lot of wheel spin. Last dyno showed 442HP and 464 torque.This was right after the roller rockers. Fell like that was not a good run.Anyway, we ran 6 times, and smoked him every time!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corvette guys have a thread going about cars that can beat the stock and modded Z06. They focus on whether or not they can beat the Cobra GT, and the Viper is not even on their list. One guy says he's never seen one but would probably lose, the only other comments are that it is a nice looking car. Unbelievable.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=809879
Just out of curiousity: assuming no mods, what cars that you could actually see on the roads would likely beat a Z06 from a red light? I'm assuming equal drivers.
Please no kill stories. Just curious what cars compare...

Ones I have found that I guess you could plausibly see on the road are:

Porsche GT2, Porsche Turbo, Lambo Murcielago (never seen one), Viper SRT-10, Viper GTS

Looks like it is on the list to me. :confused:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I toasted a Ligenfelter Z06 this last weekend. The car was a really sweet one. After we ran I spent some time with the owner at a local drive in. He turned out to be a nice guy and we swapped info on each other's cars. He said it all when one of the bystanders complimented him on his car -- he said "Yeah, but it's no Viper".

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although perhaps not toasting any cars but at PPIR this past sunday I actually passed a Ferrari 360 something or other and another Viper RT. Had a corvette behind me but never caught me. I believe this was a case of newer driver and bad lines on the twisties of the coarse but none the less it was nice to actually pass cars and not be passed. Congrats on your victory!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude