ZF 8HP90

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph said in that video that in the life cycle of "this" car there will be some type of automated tranny in the car. That means to me that the Gen 5 WILL see some form of automated tranny. Seeing that Ralph is car guy through and through and the Gen 5 is his baby, I'm sure it will be a DCT type box. A DCT type box will put the Viper on par with the big dogs acceleration-wise easy.

Id still buy a manual over DCT just for the connection it gives to the car but its hard to argue against a DCT even if you are a manual lover like I am. Just look at the DCT in the McLaren, GTR, Porsche do with there lower power and torque than the Viper. I don't ever want to see the manual go away from the Viper, but I wouldn't complain about the addition of a DCT. Lets face it, when most see what the Viper will trap in the 1/4 or 1 mile with a DCT vs the manual I think quite a bit will switch to a DCT Viper. Obviously not talking about the full blown purists.

Ralph wants to get a DCT in this generation...whether he can get it in isn't 100% at this point. Personally I like shifting but DCT can perform better all around, and the only downside is cost and loss of interaction with the vehicle. It's telling that the Porsche GT3, supposedly the purest sporting 911, has no manual option. I think the take rate on stick shifts in the Lambos are extremely low for a sports car as well (10% when it was being offered side by side with a DCT).

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it more towards, manuals are fun - but the market just wants dct. Even if it was pushed on us by all the other car companies, it is just "expected" now. If the Viper wants to avoid the chopping block again, having it will be mandatory.

Would I buy one with DCT? I've been back in a manual for 10 days now and have enjoyed it. Ask me again in a year and I may feel different.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.

Automatics are a way to a dull, boring driverless future.

I absolutely hate the fact my daily driver is only offered in an auto. I want to row gears and push in on a clutch but I can't because the platform is only built with the NAG1 or 42RLE autobore trans.

--RS

This was exactly my point, in fact I didn't buy a 300SRT8 for a dd specifically for that reason.

I get that autos are coming whether we like it or not, and it's a good option for some people, but I'm sure 15 years ago Ferrari fanatics thought you'd always be able to get 3 pedals and a metal gate... And now???

OP
OP
I

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to make life interesting, look at this patent from several years ago:

http://www.google.com/patents/US7263907

"A multi-speed transmission for transmitting power from a power source includes a torque converter as well as dual clutches which may be arranged as dual input clutches or dual output clutches. To combine the smoothness and ratio boosting effects of a torque converter with the low spin loses associated with synchronizers used in dual clutch designs. The torque converter and dual clutches as well as synchronizers and a plurality of intermeshing gears are utilized to transfer torque from an input member to an output member at a plurality of speed ratios."

:cool:

Last edited:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life is too short for an automatic transmission.

I am currently contemplating getting rid of my 06 RC SRT10 for a SRT Cherokee and the auto is whats holding me back.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph wants to get a DCT in this generation...whether he can get it in isn't 100% at this point. Personally I like shifting but DCT can perform better all around, and the only downside is cost and loss of interaction with the vehicle. It's telling that the Porsche GT3, supposedly the purest sporting 911, has no manual option. I think the take rate on stick shifts in the Lambos are extremely low for a sports car as well (10% when it was being offered side by side with a DCT).

Yeah. I hope he can get it in this gen viper. I concur on the rest of your post as well. DCT is deffinately in the future for the Viper even if not this gen. As long as Ralph is the head of SRT I'm sure the Viper will alway offer a manual. I hope they don't go the way of Porsche GT3 with the Viper in the future.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, the real trick is just keeping options. I don't really care if there is an auto of any variety as long as they still offer a plain old stick. The nice thing about no options is that you only have to design to fit one transmission.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to make life interesting, look at this patent from several years ago:

http://www.google.com/patents/US7263907

"A multi-speed transmission for transmitting power from a power source includes a torque converter as well as dual clutches which may be arranged as dual input clutches or dual output clutches. To combine the smoothness and ratio boosting effects of a torque converter with the low spin loses associated with synchronizers used in dual clutch designs. The torque converter and dual clutches as well as synchronizers and a plurality of intermeshing gears are utilized to transfer torque from an input member to an output member at a plurality of speed ratios."

:cool:

Interesting find.....amazing that this patent is 10 years old and that GM appears to own it. DCT with a torque converter, might be the best of both worlds. Nice find.

Cheers,
George