Zone Rendezvous?

viper77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any News on the dates for upcoming Zone Rendezvous? Are there going to be any this year? Heard that is was going to be just East and West. Any truth to this rumor? :confused: :usa: <font color="blue"> </font>
Thanks.
FXB

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No ZR this year. We're supposed to be doing an national
tour. It started out there was going to be two tours, one
going east-west through the south in spring and the other
going west-east during the summer/fall. Then it was supposed
to be two tours coming from both directions at the same time
to meet somewhere in the middle. Last rumor I heard is that
they were down to one tour from west-east probably in the
middle of summer through the middle of the country.

By the time it actaully comes to print I have a feeling
it'll be from Cali-Texas or Florida to Texas, or something
along those lines.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Apparently its still under consideration... open for
suggestions...

I think we should just pick a Tuesday in July and all
drive to say Fredrick Kansas (not that I like Fredirck
or anything, it just looks to be about as center U.S.
as you can get.) No VOI crap or hoopla, just 3,000 vipers
rolling into some little no-name town for a single day
of Mopar mahem.

Spend $30/ on hotels - $5/ meal at Maye's (have you had
all your shots) Country Diner. Be big news, make some
friends, bail out some other friends, go home.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the way you think Bonkers! I hope that this turns out to be something really neat since there is no Zone Rendezvous. Those were always a blast.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the tour idea is stupid! The Zone events were fun. I guess if everyone was retired we could go on long driving tours. I personally don't think it would be fun and would not participate. My vote is for Zone events like Road Atlanta (Beating on some Dodge supplied SRTs on road courses), Atlanta Dragway, and Chateau Elan.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there will not be a ZR for NJ - NY at Englishtown this year? To bad, and I thought Englishtown had some new track in the works.

ViperRichRT10, I agree. I guess I have to wait about 25 years when I'm done with my job to join in on all these events. God bless those independently wealthy, stay at home, I-think-I'll-build-a-Viper-model guys. Nice life.

AC

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the tour idea is stupid! The Zone events were fun. I guess if everyone was retired we could go on long driving tours. I personally don't think it would be fun and would not participate. My vote is for Zone events like Road Atlanta (Beating on some Dodge supplied SRTs on road courses), Atlanta Dragway, and Chateau Elan.

The Zone Rendezvous were definitely fun, however, back in 04, a bunch of us from the East coast drove to Texas for VOI 8. The 1300 mile drive, with as many as 40 Vipers, was as much fun as VOI itself.

On the flip side, as our cars get older, I have a growing concerns regarding break down. My car is very well maintained, however, you just never know. And with the diffuculty in finding some parts and finding qualified technicians, I would be leary of doing a tour. If I owned a Gen 1, I wouldn't even consider it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite the opposite thinking here - when else would you drive a long distance in a Gen 1? On a tour, you'd have hundreds of helping hands, cell phones, parts sources, and good reputations behind you.

But for the record, I'd drive 700 miles each way to participate in a track event before I'd drive 1400 miles on a tour.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
So the tour is a drive together I assume. Sounds
like a good idea if done right.

Well a tour could be any number of things. A group of car
people traveling together for a single interest. Could be a
bunch of guys going NYC to LA cannonball style, could be
several groups of car heading in about the same direct with
each group separating to explore different interests and
gathering back up at the end of the day, and could even like
I said about everyone meeting in one spot and driving down
main street and going home. All a matter of who organizes it.

The most
popular is of course the Hot Rod Power Tour. I see no
reason (other than fundage) why the VCA can't rent a string
of tracks and allow us to hit one after another. I suggested
Limerock, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Sebring, and NPR for the east coast
crew. I'm not sure the going rate for renting these tracks per
day, but figure $15,000/each + emergency crews + insurance +
lawyers to give us permission and you're looking close to the
$100k mark - not including the 600 different brochures ViperHQ
will send out prior. And then there's hotels and food.

And that's just east coast.

Course a 10-day event covering each of these tracks (1 every
other day) might be worth $1,000 out of pocket if we can get
99 other guys to join in.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Geez. This "Tour" is sounding like way more trouble than it might be worth and when all is said and done, it's going to end up being a bunch of guys traveling highways stopping to eat. How are you going to be able to organize all the tracks we might want to hit across the country with Race season coming up?

No thanks.

Just do what we always did. Each Zone gets together for a day at the track. Simple, fun, easier to organize. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

AC

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had nothing to do, and cop friends in every state, I'd be joining a "Cannonball-type" run in a second, provided Farrah Faucet, Dom Deluise, Sammy and Dean were following behind.

AC

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually like the Zone Rendezvous better than the VOIs because they were smaller. We've been to 2 of each. Seeing as there is no ZR this year, I look at the tour as something to maybe do if the timing is right. I guess I'm not looking at it like some here. If it came within a few hundred miles of here, we may jump in for a few days and then break away and go home--possibly visitng friends a long the way. You don't need to do the whole thing. Jump in -- jump out whenever you want. I'll be interested to see how this turns out -- if it does.

Steve

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the best weekend ever during the ZR that NJ did at Englishtown. :2tu:
It was the most fun I ever had for a VIPER event. Please give us back the ZR and
if not each zone should try to just go and do it on their own. Maybe we get get
a poll going to see what everyone really wants to do.

I VOTE LETS HAVE THE ZR BACK. :2tu: PLEASE :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with Steve. Been to 2 ZR (Detroit in 2003 and St. Louis in 2005). Both seemed to be well attended and lots of fun.

In my humble opinion the VCA could do a less expensive ZR without Dodge's involvement and still be a great event. And I believe the last round of ZR locations had more to do with attendance than the event itself. 3 of them were quite close to each other (Kansas City, St. Louis and Atlanta). Spread them out so one is reasonably close to most.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you look at Viper Days (Performance Driving School) events, they are located in various parts of the country throughout the year and even have the banquet, free goodies for random drawings and the most fun you can have in your Viper on the track...seems like a great opportunity to replace the void you may feel from no ZR. I do realize that drag racing interests are not represented, I suppose it may be possible for someone (maybe the local clubs nearest the location of the track events) to find a suitible location nearby to augment with a drag racing facility and work with Skip to maybe bring everyone together in the evening.

Just a quick thought, perhaps other can build on it and develop something!

Jim

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Days is not throughout the country. They have not run anything in the northeast in years. If I'm mistaken, my bad, but I don't think Viper Days has been to Watkins nor Limerock in years.

AC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper