03 verses 04 Viper

Fasteddie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Viper, either an 03 or 04 Viper. I have found a good deal on an 03, but need some advice. Since the 03 was the first year of the new model, are there any mechanical issues/concerens I should be aware of before making a decission?

fasteddie

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 03. i haven't really had problems with it but the lights flickering off and on. i just took it to the dealer and the did something with the computer and fixed it right away. i think the 04 only have different color calipers and not much else that i know of.

Max

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '03 had two recalls of note: A valve grind on approximately 200 vehicles (out of 1875) caused horsepower to be down by approximately 25 ponies. I suspect most of these were fixed. There was also a recall for a check ball in the steering system where it connects to the cooling fan module. Again, a simple recall that I suspect most had done already. Otherwise nothing terribly major that I am aware of other than flickering lights and a slight bog on acceleration - both fixed with a computer reflash at your dealer (15 minutes).

All SRT-10's ('03 - current) have a weak pin in the differential which can cause problems if you run your car very, very hard. I would not be surprised if this design were intentional as the "weakest link" so that more major damage didn't occur in other driveline components under severe stress.

You might also note that the '04's have had a problem with loose bolts (cam, harmonic balancer, etc.). The results of those problems has sometimes been more severe, including complete engine rebuilds. If you have or are considering an '04, be sure to have your Viper tech check the harmonic balancer bolt, as well as perform the camshaft bolt recall.

Good luck in your search, and enjoy your new Viper!

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this link was provided in an earlier thread by SRT10:

Dodge's recall link

at the bottom you'll see a spot to enter the vin. it'll list all recalls both completed and outstanding for the vehicle in question.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually , in reality, the cam bolt issue had very few problems, as it was mainly a precautionary check to make sure things were tight. I was actually pleased that DC took an aggressive stance to view a potential problem, knowing that it was likely a rare occurence. We did over 30 checks and all vehicles were fine ( trucks and Vipers ). The reason I viewed it as more of a positive, is there were untimely delays in viewing concerns with the 2003s,and I sincerely felt DC listened and attacked Viper problems with a new vigor in 2004. Good sign that they know Viper owners are more particular with their vehicles than the typical automotive buyer.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my $0.02 worth, i would go with a 03

)never available to the public-had to have a certificate to get one
)first year of the srt
)people dont drive their vipers very much - i would feel a 03 w/5k compared to a 04 w/5k miles would be worth more

keep in mind i own a 03 - lol so yes i say buy 03

good luck either is fine - post pics when you buy it :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456