08 Viper Engine

Double C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does any one have information on line about Viper fault codes and diagnostic procedures for the P codes?

Thanks for any help
Chris:usa:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We do have the SERVICE MANUAL in stock for 2008 on a CD

But VCA members can buy it at our cost from Chrysler Publications 800 890 4038, Debbie, ext 1209

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

We don't know of that information being available on-line (at least to the public). That info is in the service manual in the electrical section.

Is it different than other Chrysler products? I just went through diagnostic hell with my 2001 Durango and trying to get it ready to pass the yearly inspection. It is my understanding that the diagnostic error codes are universal (a P 0455 code means the same for all cars, for example). At least it seems to be the same for domestic manufacturers.

And I learned how to read the error code right on the instrument panel instead of going to Autozone and have them hook up their reader to the car. The internet is so cool.

Bob

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
You can find the generic OBD II fault codes on several internet sites but the diagnostic procedures are typically manufacturer specific and the only place to find that is probably the service manuals. We could be wrong - there may be procedures somewhere on the internet but we are not aware of it.

Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the standard SAE codes means right off the internet:

First Character - System

The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
  • P = Powertrain
  • B = Body
  • C = Chassis
  • U = Undefined
Second Digit - Code Type

The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.
  • 0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
  • 1 or greater = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)
Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code
  • 1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
  • 2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
  • 3 = Ignition or Misfire
  • 4 = Emission Control
  • 5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
  • 6 = Computer & Output Circuit
  • 7 = Transmission
  • 8 = Transmission
  • 9 = SAE Reserved
  • 0 = SAE Reserved
Fourth and Fifth Digits
These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem. For example,a P0171 code means P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1). To lookup your particular code, visit our OBD Trouble Codes section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave