1" Seat Lowering - Pic Attached - Question

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the kit to my driver's seat today. You can see how only the Driver's right hand side has a latch to lock the track in place. The driver's left hand side track slides freely. Is this correct, or is something wrong? Seems you'd want the whole thing locked in place during an accident. No?

seat-lowered.jpg

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how mine is too. When you bolt it in the lock will keep the other side in place like the stock.

Yours looks like my kit in that the track adjustment rod is fairly short (I've seen some that are longer) I added a 5-6" extension as I found when the seat is set all the way back I coudn't reach the rod while sitting in the seat. I had to get out and reach under. I had an extension rod machined that slips over the end of the northwind adjustment rod

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm 6'5" so it's going to stay back all the time. :)

I'm just not sure that I like the fact that only one track locks in place. That is different from stock.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 6 or so of those sliding mechanisms that are dual locking. They simply bolt up to the mounting points and no holes need to be drilled. If you want to swap the single locking for a dual version let me know. I can send you one.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone having issues with the locking on this kit. I've had it in a 06 and 08 and tracked both with some hard high speed braking, no issues

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 6 or so of those sliding mechanisms that are dual locking. They simply bolt up to the mounting points and no holes need to be drilled. If you want to swap the single locking for a dual version let me know. I can send you one.

Are you talking about the 1" seat lowering mechanisms? Where did you get a lowering kit that is dual locking?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 1" seat lowering mechanisms? Where did you get a lowering kit that is dual locking?

I'm talking about the actual sliding part that has the mounts bolted on. I had to special order sliders through a machine shop. They come from Indonesia and are made by various off-shore manufacturers for the auto industry. There's no name brand or manufacturer stamped on them but they are the same ones found on the lowering kits. They come in single or dual locking. I don't understand why one would make these with a single locking version since they cost the same as the dual locking sliders. The only reason i can think of is if space is an issue and the locking mechanism gets in the way under the seat. On GenII's this is not an issue.

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what the seatbelt is for.:D

Seriously though, if in an accident the seatbelt will hold you back, not the seat, and if you're not wearing your seatbelt, you've got bigger problems.

The seatbelt fastener is connected to the seat; the same seat that now has only one track locking it in place.

Last edited:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seatbelt fastener is connected to the seat; the same seat that now has only one track locking it in place.

The belt stops you - and the seat stops itself.

The belts are mounted to the car, not the seat. Even if you've correctly installed a racing harness it will be mounted to the car. So the track only has to stop the seat and the belts stop you.

BTW, I had to bend the adjustment lever so it would work. Otherwise it strikes the transmission tunnel before the track is released.

Greg

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver's left hand side track slides freely. Is this correct, or is something wrong? Seems you'd want the whole thing locked in place during an accident. No?

I happened to notice this also when I installed my 1" lowering kit on my car
this winter. I got the kit from Northwind Engineering. So I called them
and expressed my concerns about that very issue. They assured me that only
one side needed to be locked. He said he had some locking sliders and he
would exchange them if I wanted.
Those sliders look a little different than mine, who did you buy them from ?

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The belts are mounted to the car, not the seat. Even if you've correctly installed a racing harness it will be mounted to the car. So the track only has to stop the seat and the belts stop you.
Greg

I don't know what you're talking about but in my 2003 SRT-10 the latch mechanism that you "click" the belt into is attached to the right side of the framing for the seat.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what you're talking about but in my 2003 SRT-10 the latch mechanism that you "click" the belt into is attached to the right side of the framing for the seat.

Oops! You're right. The 2 other mounting points are on the car and one is on the seat - on the side with the locking track.

My mistake.

Greg