100 Octane Gas

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local Delta Sonic gas station now carries 100 Octane racing fuel.
I did a search and there was a thread about 110 and most said dont bother.
but right now i am running only Sunoco 94 and the car runs well.
Would it run a little better on 100?

My car is :
stock motor, 10mm wires, chrome intakes, randomtech substrate cats, 3 inch B&B catback.

Thanks
Jim

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't need the octane for detonation prevention, boost, n02, turbo, then you are wasting your $$$ and probably loosing hp.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that smell.
When I was a young lad, this is where the geezing starts, we would put a couple of spoonfuls of castor oil into a tank of gas. This would produce the smell that came from racing sports cars of the day.
Is that the same smell that you would get today?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not even consider unless it is unleaded fuel!
Cudaman :usa:

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Racing fuel will do nothing more than give you that sweet aroma out of the exhaust. Unless you have a built motor with better than 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression, it's a waste of money, as other people have said. You will never run 11:1 or 12:1 motor on pump gas.....without serious consequenses.

High compression requires higher octane to keep detonation from burning holes in your pistons and otherwise destroying your motor. I "tip the can" on occasion in my Cobra that's powered with a vintage Ford 427 FE motor with 10.5:1 pistons (borderline for pump gas)........lets me keep the timing where it should be and stops detonation after shutting down. Most of the time I run Sunoco 94 with good results.

.......'nuff said :eek: :eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

S

SUN RA KAT

At Viper Days I bought 100 octane unleaded racing gas ($4.75/gal) and put in the Roe VEC2 100 octane card in my VEC2 to reprogram it and got a BIG boost in power. So much power, in fact, that I never went full throttle the whole time I ran the track at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course AND I never shifted out of 4th gear from the 30 MPH corners to 1/2 throttle and 150 MPH slightly over 1/3 of the way down the long straightaway.

After Viper Days was done I filled up with 93 octane gas and reprogrammed the VEC2 to run on 93 octane and drove home.

Jim, you have a Yellow Viper and Yellow Vipers must be Roe Supercharged, then you can run 100 octane. :D

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT,
someday my yellow friend.
the ultimate yellow SC was recently posted.. it was painted yellow!!!
super sweet!!!

my 3 step program is coming along.
cats and catback are in, vec1 going in today

step 2 headers will be next year
step 3 the big one.. roeSC! hopefully in yellow! ;)

Cruisin9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In California, premium is only 91 octane. If I put in 2 or 3 gallons of the Union 76 100 octane racing gas, would that bump up the overall tank octane to 93-94 and improve my Vipers performance?

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruisin9,

I'm in Calif. and occas. use 100 octane to mix with the lousy 91 available here. I do get some pinging on hard acceleration without it.

Greg W

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cruisin9....

If you really want to experiment a little with mixing up fuels, here is a link that might prove interesting to all. It contains info on Sunoco fuels CAM2 - 105 to 118 racing fuels and a very interesting table on how to mix your own with the proper ingredients.....check it out :cool:

Sunoco fuels

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used cam2 in a stock car years ago. It smelled like model airplane glue. We did run very high compression and never a knock. Back then it was $3.50/gal.

Cruisin9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of adding some toulene to a tankful of unleaded premium to bump it up to 94 octane. Where would I be able to buy some toulene? Is this something that I can get at an industrial supply house?

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cruisin9....

Try a commercial paint supply house or industrial cleaning supply....

CAUTION: be careful with this stuff, it's not too "user friendly" with finishes and if you spill any on your paint.......well, you get the idea. :eek: :shocked:

Good luck with it

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
joe117......

I used cam2 in a stock car years ago. It smelled like model airplane glue. We did run very high compression and never a knock. Back then it was $3.50/gal.

Ahhhhh, yes....but that smell was worth every penny of the $3.50/gal, even if you didn't win the night's feature event. Nothin' like the spent vapors of Sunoco 260 or CAM2 blasted out of a set of open pipes to perk up the ole sniffer!! What did you guys race, modifieds, SK's? I hung around with some guys at a local circle track back in the mid/late 60's.....Oh, Oh now I'm really dating myself.. :D :rolleyes:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced at Potomac Speedway in Budd's Creek Maryland. I was the four cylinder division champ in 1992.
Later, I raced a Camaro in a v8 class. It was lot's of fun, did it for five years.
The track runs late models, limited late models, and various stock classes. When I was racing we would run about 30 races in a season. Every Fri night and some Saturdays too. Lot's of work.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we did many a dyno test on our porsche 944 ITS motor, thi s with stock 10.3 to 1 & stock computer, Amoco 93 made the most hp with the set up , but the race gas had much cooler cylinder head temps & a very small hp difference & when we tear down the engines using race gas the heads looked brand new. could not say the same for the street. We think its worth the extra$$on our race car.

Cruisin9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried calling just about every chemical and paint supply house I could find in the San Jose area, and I still can't find any industrial grade toulene. The closest I could find was tech grade, but that was $350 for a 55 gallon barrel. Anyone know of a source of inexpensive toulene in the San Jose area?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My good man. You have a yellow Viper so speed is not an issue. Why must you torment our non-Yellow brothers?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that boost additives and other chemical fuel mixes will destroy the O2 sensors.

Also, has anyone played with the VEC1 and 100 Octane gas?

If you could lean out the WOT mixture, and compensate with the race gas, the extra power gained might be worth the effort/expense. As long as it doesn't effect reliability at all.

Has anyone done race gas or Toulene with Nitrous?
Is it necessary or helpful?

-Dean.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
garolittle,
you have the "yellow fever" my friend, so glad you came to the bright side....
may the yellow force be with you!

and a little extra hp never hurt anyone... :)

Dean,
good point now that i have the VEC1 it might work?
for now after reading the posts, i will probably not risk any headaches and stick
with 94

thanks
JIM :)

Cruisin9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will adding between 5% and 10% toulene to 91 octane pump gas damage the O2 sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prosperitymirra