100 octane vs. 91-93 octane

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again...newbie question (sorry)...I noticed a station that sells 100 octane "race" gas locally. Do I understand correctly that this would be a waste for me since I don't have a turbo/supercharger on my Viper? So, I gain nothing, horsepower-wise by simply using a higher octane..correct? The stuff ain't cheap at $5.99 a gallon.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wont feel a difference with a stock setup. Don't waste your money. It is better suited for a blown car with other mods and tuned with a VEC2. Helps fend off detonation but a stock car has no worries there. Buy the "cheap" $3 gas!

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wont feel a difference with a stock setup. Don't waste your money. It is better suited for a blown car with other mods and tuned with a VEC2. Helps fend off detonation but a stock car has no worries there. Buy the "cheap" $3 gas!

Boy, I wish I could fine Super Unleaded for $3 a gallon. You're lucky.

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...Hey I am getting Shell super unleaded for $2.97 if I remember correctly (under $3.00 anyway). I hear oil slipped below $60 per barrel today...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tried running race gas at Willow springs years ago in GTS. Car ran terrible. Hi Octane actually burns much slower than regular gas to reduce knock. If your car is not set up for high compression, blower or turbo, you will probably find out "race" fuel is bad in a street car.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul is right, using a too high octane fuel can also reduce performance. Even in boosted vipers. I have just tested a 103 oct fuel in my SC Viper yesterday evening. I am using a 6.5lb pulley. I didn't loose performance but didn't gain much HP with my advanced timing. Usually 91 oct is enough for regular vipers. I can even get away with this fuel on my SC Viper except that I have to retard my timing a lot and I loose nearly 100HP. For racing I use 94oct fuel, my boost is not so high so I can get away with this 94oct fuel.

Cagleman , where did you see this 100oct fuel ?

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least the oil prices are going in the right direction(down). I question how low that they will go, but we can hope. I can now (Az) buy premium unleaded 91 at $2.91...Whoopee :crazy:

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a Tech session once, they explained to us that using the lowest octane fuel without getting any detonation/pinging, was the best way to go. So I doubt Vipers can use 87 octane, but they might get away with 89. If you hear any pinging go up to 91 octane. In the winter you can probably use the 89 and in summer the 91. If your car is slightly modded, you might have to add a little octane booster, or a few gallons of 100 octane gas. I used to go to a pump that had 100 octane and 91 at the same pump. I would do 50/50, and my car ran great. Its just that by the time I got back to my house, I had used up 3 gallons before my next trip. Kind of a hassle, so my car is at DC Motorsports right now getting the Water/**** tuned in correctly, so maybe I can get away with using 91 octane gas with my 6.5 Roe S/C setup. I see so many people at this pump putting in 100 octane at 5-6 bucks a gallon, and I always ask them if they hear any detonation and they don't have a clue. Like was said above, putting in higher octane when not needed actually hurts your performance.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caution on the octane booster... they add 1-3 points to octane, but this isn't from 89 to 90-92... this is 89 to 89.1 or 89.3 !

100 unleaded is a great way (if you can get it)to cure pinging woes... highly recommended if your car isn't running as smooth as it used to!

JD

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schulmann - 100 octane was at a Sunoco station in the Denver Tech Center at Belleview and I-25. Not sure if you are familiar with the metro Denver area, so this location may or may not make sense.

I think I will stick with the 91 octane (I think due to high elevation our "91" is equivalent to a sea-level "93"). Thanks for all the comments!