1996 B&W's worth more than 97's......

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
....is this still a fair assessment? They are the original GTS, and the only GTS with the stripes right through the plate. What is a 96 going for these days? One with average miles.....say 10-20 000?

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
=/- $45K

97's usually bring more than 96's. Have some upgrades.
Paint through the plate does not seem to bring more $

Red cars bring less than blue/white.

Believe the premium is due more to the very desirable color than it being the first GTS.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1997 Blue & White's bring more money than the 96's...although both years are highly sought after... :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hard part is finding one (either year) with no stories that was cared for. I searched quite a while till I found one I wanted, and was lucky enough it was fairly close by so I could see it first. Fully documented, all original stickers and bone stock with 8K. It was MORE than 45K thats for sure. Worth every penny too for me anyway they are far and few between in that condition.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with ViperJon

Also in looking at Maurice's Vipers Buying Guide, I find the following difference between the 2 years:
96 has 1/4inch wider stripe that runs thru the plate area
97 has forged rims instead of cast
97 has the Super Dana 44 diffy instead of the Dana 44

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the future the 96's might be worth more but up until now I don't see it. I would have bought either one but looking back am glad I went with the 96 as it is an instant classic. I would say, if you can get a 96 with 10k miles for $45 I would jump on it. I would think it should be closer to 48-49.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the future the 96's might be worth more but up until now I don't see it. I would have bought either one but looking back am glad I went with the 96 as it is an instant classic. I would say, if you can get a 96 with 10k miles for $45 I would jump on it. I would think it should be closer to 48-49.
From what I have been seeing anything nice in the B&W is atleast in the low 50's if not more pending on mileage.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'97 worth more the '96? Are '54 Covettes worth more than '53's?

1996 GTS = First year of production, only year of unique stripes, Indy Pace car year
1997 GTS = later production changed from cast to forged wheels

All other variances TBS equalized

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'97 worth more the '96? Are '54 Covettes worth more than '53's?

1996 GTS = First year of production, only year of unique stripes, Indy Pace car year
1997 GTS = later production changed from cast to forged wheels

All other variances TBS equalized

You would think so, but it's just not the case.
Having recently shopped quite extensively for one, they (96's) don't go for any more money than a '97 with comparable mileage. In fact, as noted above they are usually slightly less. Perhaps the improvements in the '97 outweigh the stripe difference. Maybe just because they are a year newer. It's really all about the mileage and condition anyway.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

As you said, the reality is what they actually sell for, not what anyone believes and if 1997's consistantly sell for more than 1996's, I'm with you.

The part I don't understand is the perception that there were improvements in the 1997 GTS that the 1996 GTS's didn't incorporate over their early life. For example, 1996's GTS had several areas for oil leaks. Some had oil pan issues and some had timing cover gasket problems. 11 years later, I've got to believe that all of them were fixed and 99% of that under warranty. So are 1996 GTS still oil leakers? I doubt it. 1997 GTS's had bad intake manifold gaskets versus 1996 GTS's. They leaked. Do 10 year old 1997 GTS's still have bad intake gaskets? I doubt it.

The facts are nothing about the 1996 GTS except the cast wheels and the stripes are different than late 1997 GTS's. Early 1997's even had the same cast wheels as 1996's. Both had cast iron exhaust manifolds, both had dual airbags, both didn't have an alarm override, both had the same sound system, both had 17" wheels, etc. It's not like the 1997's had ABS, power mirrors, 18" wheels, power trunk release and 10 more horsepower vs. the 1996's.

Anyway, though I believe long term the '96 will carry a slight premium over the '97 it doesn't matter as I'm not selling.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, though I believe long term the '96 will carry a slight premium over the '97 it doesn't matter as I'm not selling.

That makes two of us. Always wanted a B/W, didn't care what year.
Finally found the right one, hope to have it forever. They are irreplaceable. :beer: