1996 RT/10 Exhaust Wrap

Ttillots

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a beyond stock 96 RT/10 bored to the displacement of 8.4L. My engine bay gets so hot it actually melted a hole in the heater blower unit (obviously has headers and no heat shield. My question is I was considering pulling the headers and wrapping them in exhaust wrap to prevent any more damage. Is this a bad idea? Can it promote power loss?

Thanks, Travis

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Travis....Is this a White Car ? Pull the side sills, wrap your exhaust might consider ceramic coat your headers,
wrap it all. How old are the Cats ? Might need new - try the saab racing turbo cats worked for our 95. There is
also a vendor that makes a special heat shield, i believe they are out of NC>

ViperDEN_Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And 100% agree with above, wrap the pipes in the sidesills, especially if you have a white car to prevent the "yellowing." I used a full roll of Kevlar wrap from Autozone on each sidesill pipe and I can fully touch them after a lot of driving, also straight piped so that helps.

And I have the M&M Headers installed with no heat shields. Haven't noticed any heat damage but I also don't track the car.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're pulling the headers, have them thermally coated. If you want more of a heat barrier, then wrap.