1st viper

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be getting my 1st viper in a few days it is a 2000 acr. I was wondering how much I could do to it since it has the cast pistons. I want to do the roller rockers, headers, Exhaust, smooth intake tubes, K&N filters, maybe a cam, and then reprogram or get a better computer. :cool:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '01 and in the same stuation as you. From all the research I have done lately, the mods you have listed are perfectly fine and will certainly improve performance.

Detonation and heat are not our friends, however they may occur. If you eventually wanted to supercharge, you would need to go with a low boost system (Roe) or an intercooled system (DLM for instance).

Hopefully others will chime in and good luck with the car.

John

ps- we are pictureholics, so lets see some when you get the car.

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok. Found out car came with smooth tubes and K&N filters with ACR package. I was told I may want to go with a 98 cam and computer. Is this the best setup? Or should I go with aftermarket computer and cam? I was told that this is the only way to get power out of a 2000 or newer car. I am not going to go to wild on my mods. I also plan to get the 180 deg thermostat now. When I ran the car hard I thought it was getting fairly hot and it was only 60 deg outside. If anyone has any sugestions please let me know.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John

I see you are from my neck of the woods. What city?

Well by your statement of not wanting to get to wild with your mods, IMO it would be a waste of time and $$$ to change out cams and it is NOT the only way to increase power in these cars. There are several dependable bolt ons that can put you over 600 hp with relative ease.

However, there are some good head and cam packages out there if that is the way you want to go.

Get used to the power you have first because it can bite you in a split second. Attend some autocross or driving events and learn how the car handles and performs.

If you want a computer upgrade check out the Vec 1

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in Ocean Springs. I am used to the power but I am not used to sitting so far back in the car. I am used to mid-engine cars and smaller cars. I ahve only had the car 2 days but I am thinking about the vec-1. I also thought about going with the mopar or a full race computer since the race computers are easy to set up. The car seems to have a rough idol, I do not know if this is normal for the ACR or not. The dealer down here does not know either. The car is still under waranty though. I thought the cam would be an easy upgrade though. My email is [email protected]

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about the cam and computer for now, Get a nice exhaust + header kit, and maybe T&D rocker arms. After that, i would go with a set of ported heads + cam (APEX and Heffner have nice top end kits).
The BTR NOS is a great way to make crazy power, it also and costs less then all of these mods, you will gain about 170rwhp and 220 rwtq with his kit. i am selling my BTR kit, its in the classifieds or E-mail me for more info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235