1st warranty issues. need help

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wondering if any of u have had any warranty work done? they are pulling the tranny out for something, and while its down, they wont give me a rental car. still under factory warranty, wondering if this is how DC works? With my vette, if it was down for a day, they would give me a rental. anybody know the particulars on this?

thanks,
chan

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful, don't stir up a hornets nest, or bite the hand that repairs your Viper :)

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
def. dont want to do that, but at the same time want to make sure that im not being taken advantage of either. btw... how much are u paying for an oil change on an '01? he wanted i think $140. i thought that was too much considering no more than $5/qt and $12 for the filter. are u all using mobil or dodge filter?

thanks,
chan

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody have anything from dodge that states that. i dont have a owners manual.

thanks,
chan

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A transmission purchased in April of this year would have cost you $ 2800.00, to purchase that same transmission today it cost you $5800.00.

Thank you D/C for being FAIR with the Viper customers.

One of your customers that has been loyal for 35 years.

This is NOT the same company that I grew up loving.

A corpration's warrenty is only as good as the people and company backing it!

Cudaman 2001 R/T 10 :usa:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
btw... how much are u paying for an oil change on an '01? he wanted i think $140. i thought that was too much considering no more than $5/qt and $12 for the filter. are u all using mobil or dodge filter?

thanks,
chan

I have paid about $80 - $85 at 3 different dealerships. $140 seems way high.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$80-$85 seems ok to me too. how many qts does it take on the '01 gts? what filter's are u all using.

thanks
chan

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chan,

That doesn't seem fair at all. I also had a c5 and they gave me a dealer car during repairs taking more than a day. Make sure you find a dealer recommended by local VCA - but I think you said you had a friend who owned a dealership.... I found a local viper tech per VCA recommendation. They did a great job but put 15miles on my car aligning my fu$&king door!

Also, see if you can do your own oil change. IT's very easy and could save you a ton. Just buy Mobile One 10w30 in 5 qt jugs from Wal Mart and Mobile One filter.

Good luck
Sung

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chan, I also change the fluids on our Vipers...therefore, I buy the above mentioned Mobil 1 10W30 in 5 qt. jugsat Wal-Mart for $18.88 per jug. I use Mobil M1-204 filter which costs $11.00 at Autozone.

Recently our dealer offered a special on Viper oil change...$99.95. Becareful as many dealers DO NOT stock Mobil 1, and by the time the price hits you it can be up to $12.00 at quart...so, BUY YOUR OWN stuff !!!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should get a rental car. DC warranty (such as Added Care Plus) covers up to five days at a maximum of $26 per day. You shouldn't have to come out of your pocket at all (unless the you exceed the maximums).

The funny thing was the last time I had my RT/10 towed to the dealership for warranty sevice, I had to pay the towing company (arranged through DC Roadside)an extra $15 cash out of my pocket because they had to send out a flatbed towtruck ($15 was the "upcharge" for using a flatbead).

DC has serious issues.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sung, I do have a friend, but he's an hour and a half away. I took it to a VCA recommended dealer. It's really no big deal, but the principle behind the whole situation. I can get a 50k C5, and they are dropping everything for u. But get a Viper, and DC doesnt even care??? I don't have a lift, but im gonna make it work myself somehow anyway's. I'll go to walmart and autozone for the parts. Do you know what size socket will fit the drain plug? Also, is lubricating the front and rear ball joints and tie rods easy? Thanks everyone for ur response, ur the best.

Thanks,
Chan

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, heres the deal, the car needs a new tranny, after 16k miles. its gotta come from Michigan. car has been with the dealer since tues, wont be done till next thurs or fri. thats nov. 7th. and no rental car. they dont care. this is getting really funny. i cant believe the customer service that DC give's their top car clients.

cheers,
chan

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay, while its at the shop, wondering if there any TSB's that you think i need to get done. he said he couldnt do any unless i complained of any? any that i may need?

thanks,
chan

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chan , run from that place!!!!!!!! :eek: whoever recommended that place has made a mistake. I've never had service that remotely crappy!!!!!! Even if it wasn't viper friendly. I think you found a dealer that is on the bottom of the barrel!!!
Good luck, Mitch

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mitch, it was recommended by a local VCA member. it may be our only choice. there arent too many viper tech's around here.

chan

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno, any tech that says he can't work on it unless you complain about it isn't very helpful. Sounds like he doesn't want to work on your car! What does he care if he does the tsb's or not, gets paid for them either way. ( if you pay or dc pays). Sounds pretty fishy to me, been in the automotive biz for 20+ years, dealing w/ dealerships. Either your not gettin' all the info or they are pullin' your chain. Don't want to condemn anybody or any dealer. From the info you've given, sounds like a bad tech! If that's the case, you have to find a new one. IMHO

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mitch, ill be looking. im hoping not to come across too many more problems in the future.

thanks,
chan

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option is to buy the Mobil One oil yourself (the 5-qt containers at Walmart are hard to beat) and take it to the dealer for the oil change. He'll supply a Mopar filter (most prefer the Mobil One filter, but there's nothing wrong with the Mopar and it's OEM spec) and do the labor. I used this approach for three years before I bought my lift, and my charge with the dealer supplying the filter and labor was around $22 (plus the $38 for the oil). You'll need 10 quarts for your 2001. The oil drain plug on my 2001 is 14 mm. Remember when checking the oil that when it's on Add on the dipstick, you're two quarts low, not just one like most cars.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another option is to buy the Mobil One oil yourself (the 5-qt containers at Walmart are hard to beat) and take it to the dealer for the oil change.
I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but that is something I personally can't do. Either I'm doing this myself (or paying my local buddy to do it for me) or I'm paying extra and having the dealer do it for me. To me, its like walking into a restaurant and taking along a dessert to save $. I'm assuming there are a lot of dealers that won't allow this, due to their huge overhead, but I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time. JMHO.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, you're right, I wouldn't do that either. I look at it as I wouldn't want somebody doing that to me. Unless the dealer was your best friend!!! :2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chrysler does not offer a Rental car with the factory warranty, though it is available as part of the extended service contract. Every company has something that the consumer does not feel is fair, but considering they are getting you a new transmission with no questions asked, all in all you are saving alot. We trade for alot of Vettes and I have run into a couple where GM cancelled everything because the cars were seen ( no breakdowns, just observed there ) at the Dragstrip. Chrysler has been very liberal to all of us, so as some suggested, don't bite down too hard, as they are replacing things with new. You might get a service contract , and if somethings go wrong in the future, this issue, and others would be addressed to your betterment.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, im not trying to bite, just thought that DC would treat thier top customers a bit better. I am in the process of buying an extended warranty now. I'm going to call the dealer on monday to see how much they would charge for labor only on the oil change. I took parts to my GM dealer and they did it for like $20 for labor, i hope they do the same. thanks for all ur help.

chan