2000 RT-10 over heats when the air is turned on?

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2000 RT-10 over heats when the air is turned on? Runs normal if I'm driving on the highway.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like a clogged up radiator and/or condenser. Probably not an issue in regular driving until you have the extra heat load of the A/C in front of the radiator. You might try hosing it out real good or taking an air gun to it to see what you can **** out. That would be my first guess at least.

Big E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your electric fan coming on? Sometimes fried wiring and/or relay burns up. Heard of a bad ground for the fan too. See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Possible_cooling_fan_problem.png
    Possible_cooling_fan_problem.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 10

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 RT-10 over heats when the air is turned on? Runs normal if I'm driving on the highway.
So, if it’s not a problem on the highway then it sounds like your water pump and thermostat must be working, at least to an extent. Have you checked coolant level to make sure it’s topped off? (Not easy to do on these cars). Also, look inside the engine compartment underneath the air intake, look at the passenger side fan support shroud and make sure the plastic “flaps” (there should be 4 of them, from top to bottom) are all there and not missing or stuck open. These are essential to keeping your car cool when it’s sitting still, (they should all be closed when sitting still). Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper