2000 RT10 California car... Smog protected?

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 model car doesnt seem to be quite as powerful as I thought it might be. I've driven other cars with similar hp ratings, and I was thinking there should be a little more kick with my car. From what I gathered, it was a 1 owner car from California. So I'm wondering if it was a smog protection setup installed on the car. If so, where would it be? I don't know way too much about the car under the hood and not for sure on what to look for.

Any help?

Thanks!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad, didn't you buy your car from one of the guys on here. You do know we have the so-called creampuff's (2000) don't you. I don't know what's been done to your's but I know mine was stock when I bought it & it has all the power I want or need. I don't know what you're used to but a stock 00' model is pretty powerful for most people for a street car. I know our car's had the milder cam & didn't have the forged internals but I thought the 00's had one of the fastest quarter mile times (guys let me know if I'm way off base, cause I know that doesn't really make sense) for the gen II's. Thanks!

Last edited:

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brad,

I purchased a 2001 RT 10 from NV and three days after I got it, I drove over and got a smog check and it passed with flying colors. I did not have to add anything to it, so if your 2000 came from CA. I don't think any extra smog garb would have been needed nor added....Good luck with it!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All Vipers are the same in regards to power and emissions, Ca or 49 state.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, since I think 1994, all cars have CA emissions. So maybe you just need a tune up?

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the question is if there is additional equipment added to pass smog testing in Cali, the answer is no. If you don't think it running as strong you anticipated, take it to a shop and have it looked at and/or have it put on the dyno to see what kind of power it is putting down.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles are on the car? If it has higher miles, the cats could be the culprit. Just a thought. Heck even plugs or wires for that matter.

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles are on the car? If it has higher miles, the cats could be the culprit. Just a thought. Heck even plugs or wires for that matter.

This. Put some new plugs and quality wire in her along with some ROE high flow cats and she will perk up

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to asses performance when you have not been in another viper of same mods. Certain vehicles do feel like they have more power than they do, others less. Depending on what you are comparing to, the seat of the pants method may not be accurate.

May I suggest seeing if there is someone else in your area with a similar car/mods, and see if he can go for a ride with you and you with him. Get a comparison and start there. If it does not feel right still, go visit Woodhouse. They should be closer to you.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before changing stuff (others than plugs and wires which are relatively cheap), get a dyno baseline. Just go to a shop with a dyno, pay as little as $50 for a couple of pulls and then post the chart, together with ANY mods you know about and folks on the forum will have a lot more info to use in helping you.

OP
OP
F

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad, didn't you buy your car from one of the guys on here. You do know we have the so-called creampuff's (2000) don't you. I don't know what's been done to your's but I know mine was stock when I bought it & it has all the power I want or need. I don't know what you're used to but a stock 00' model is pretty powerful for most people for a street car. I know our car's had the milder cam & didn't have the forged internals but I thought the 00's had one of the fastest quarter mile times (guys let me know if I'm way off base, cause I know that doesn't really make sense) for the gen II's. Thanks!
Hey Matt, I bought the car from a dealer in Chicago. The car was purchased by them at an auction in Cali. And not too sure what creampuffs are! lol, fill me in?

OP
OP
F

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the question is if there is additional equipment added to pass smog testing in Cali, the answer is no.
Yeah banton, this was the question I was trying to ask. Thanks for clarifying.

I do plan to take it to a shop and have it dyno'd when I get back in town, and I will post my dyno slips on here to let you guys see it.

OP
OP
F

flatblack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car only has 26k miles and I hear that it was very well kept in Cali. I'll probably go ahead and replace the plugs and wires as a good start.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the CA cars do have difference in equipment from the rest of the cars in the country. When a CA car was ordered, it came equipped with a special sticker that sat on the left rear of the engine bay that said it was built to CA emissions standards. When I ordered and bought my car in Oregon in '96, I got that as no-charge option - and it saved me the $500 smog fee when I relocated down to California.

Other than the sticker, there is absolutely no difference between cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets