2002 ACR Detail - Phase I

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phase I
Rotor Restoration
Wheel Well, Brake Calipers, Suspension & Undercarriage Detail
Wheels Detail

This whole detail started out because I wanted to take my rotors and paint everything that does not come in contact with the brake pads. I hope to replace the rotors and uprade the calipers in the not to distant future but until then I didn't like the looks of them. After pulling the wheels and rotors off one thing lead to another and I ended up detailing the whole car.

I took a lot of pictures so I'm goint to post the detail in a few threads since the forum only allows 25 pictures in a single thread.

Rotor Restoration:

After I pulled the rotors off I sprayed them down with Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner (very strong stuff) then I hit them with the pressure washer. Next I used a couple of different wire brush attachments on my drill then sanded down the parts to be painted. Next I cleaned them up with Acetone and taped up the both sides of the rotors that come in contact with the brake pads. Finally I sprayed them with 3 coats of 900 degree VHT Brake Caliper Paint.

I ended up letting the paint cure for 10 days before I put the rotors back on. Since the car was sitting up I jack stands I fiqured I might as well detail the wheel wells, brake calipers, undercarriage, suspension and wheels before I put back together.

Rotors Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After Pre-Paint Preparation:

After Painted:

Wheel Wells, Braker Calipers, Suspension & Undercarriage

I purchased the car in early 2008 from the original owner. Other than lots of swirls the car was in great shape, however the previous owner was not into detailing the wheels, wheel wheels and brake calipers. This is the 2nd time I have pulled the wheels off. Here's a few pics from the 1st time I pulled the wheels off:

I used Poorboy's Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner, Simple Green and soap and water to clean off all the grease and dirt.

Painted Steel - Appled Duragloss 501
Wheel Wells - Applied Klasse All-In-One
Exhaust - Scrubbed with P32s Polishing Soap using #000 Steel wool

Wheels:

The wheels are in great shape with no curb rash but there was a lot of brown spots in the paint on the front wheels that I have never been able to get off. They have been bugging me for a while so this time I thought I would try and polish off the ones that I could get to with a polisher.

Here a pic of a wheel the first time I pulled them off the car:

Example of spots on front wheels:

Polished using s 5.5" LC pad using Pinnacle Swirl Remover.

After Polishing (there was a little polish still on the wheel in the pic):

The polish did a nice job removing the spots I could get to. There are still a few spots that I could not reach with the polisher. I might try to polish them using a Mother's Power Ball the next time. I also hit the inside of the wheels with the polisher. The inside of the wheels looked clean before I did but the pad was black with brake dust afterwards.

Wheels after 1 coat of Klasse AIO and 1 coat of Collinite 845.

What's Next???

Phase II
Engine Bay Detail
ACR Decal Replacement
Polish

Phase III
Interior Detail
LSP

To be continued in additional threads.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear God that makes me want to go out in the garage and hug my ACR. It's 29 degrees here and the roads are covered with salt and sand. I got a random-orbital polisher for Christmas and it's like an alcoholic having a bottle of scotch sitting on the table. I want to get out there and spend DAYS on my car making it look like that....UGH!!!!!

OP
OP
G

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Dear God that makes me want to go out in the garage and hug my ACR. It's 29 degrees here and the roads are covered with salt and sand. I got a random-orbital polisher for Christmas and it's like an alcoholic having a bottle of scotch sitting on the table. I want to get out there and spend DAYS on my car making it look like that....UGH!!!!!

When I live in Michigan I use to always heat my garage during the winter so I could work on and detail my sports cars. If the weather was too bad to drive them at least it was great to get out in the garage and spend some time with your toys until spring.
:2tu:

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! Someone as retentive as I am.

Flush that brake fluid while you have the wheels off. (and flush all the other fluids too if it has not already been done)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job, but what's up with the jack stands on the frame! You've got to pad them, additionally the frame material is so thin you will actually put small dings in the frame. I've constructed a special cradle that I use to lift the front or rear while minimizing stress to the frame and paint.

OP
OP
G

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the additional nice comments!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give it a try. Were did you get all the cleaners?

I buy most of the products I use online from Autogeek or Detailers Domain.

Great job, but what's up with the jack stands on the frame! You've got to pad them, additionally the frame material is so thin you will actually put small dings in the frame. I've constructed a special cradle that I use to lift the front or rear while minimizing stress to the frame and paint.

I have never putting small dings in a frame or had a problem messing up the paint on a painted frame using jack stands. I'm not sure about the cradle you constructed but anytime you hoist your car on a none drive on type lift you're lifting the car at 4 points on the frame.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62