2002 Graphite GTS wrecked with a clean title?

Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a wrecked (clean title) 2002 Graphite GTS with Cognac interior in my presence.

The car has 25K miles and is still under the 3/36. It was hit hard from behind and broke the trunk pan and caused other rear damage. The vehicle runs & drives.

I am contemplating selling or repairing it ... weighing the two options apparently has me undecided.

Please share some of your thoughts and comments.

Many thanks!
Doug Levin :usa:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug --

I might be interested in buying it from you and just using it for parts. PM me and let me know how much you might let it go for. Thanks.

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this 2000GTS old car? Sounds like it. I might be interested to buy it as well...

Personally I don't think a clean title car should be parted out period.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind the salvage title then fix it and drive.

Course I really like the idea of you parting out and selling me that cognac interior for pennys on benjamin...

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! This car should be put back together in it's original form, however I have reservations about selling a car from DLM that's been in an accident ... Morally, I'd prefer the purchaser to preview it's post accident condition.

I may Ebay it ...

Thanks again,
Doug Levin

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you fix it and use it as a test bed for whatever development projects you work on.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the way i see it, who cares if the car has been in an accident, as long as its straight and the car was repaired PROPERLY, its as good as new, and the clean title is a clincher.

the key is to make sure the work is done right!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
the way i see it, who cares if the car has been in an accident, as long as its straight and the car was repaired PROPERLY, its as good as new, and the clean title is a clincher. the key is to make sure the work is done right!

I don't even need to see the damage to tell you that a job done right on this particluar car will run at least $20-50k. Do you really think he'll buy the car back from the insurance company for ~$20k and put $50k into it to make it right, or do you think that if it's THAT important to him that he'd just front another $40k and buy a new car? If he buys the car he'll cut every corner to save a buck - just like the other 400+ "clean title" wrecks I've come across.

Plus the biggest problem is that there is no way to be absolutely sure the job was done right. Period. You could hire the best mechanics, diagnostic techs, and body men the world has to offer to rebuild one and I guarentee you'll never see the money a cherry gets.

As a rule of thumb, one of the biggest problems with the viper is in order to do the "right" job on a repair you'll spend about twice as much as the car is worth. No one works on this car for free and you need to hire professionals to verfy the work - manpower alone could run tens of thousands depending on damage not including the costs of genuine parts. Hell, my paint job alone will set me back at least ten.

I have also spent a lot of time tracking wrecked cars and one thing is always for certain - you cannot completely hide the damage even with a "clear title." We used to amuse ourselves here by posting pics of ebay cars and picking out the tell-tale signs of damage.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the way i see it, who cares if the car has been in an accident, as long as its straight and the car was repaired PROPERLY, its as good as new, and the clean title is a clincher. the key is to make sure the work is done right!

I don't even need to see the damage to tell you that a job done right on this particluar car will run at least $20-50k. Do you really think he'll buy the car back from the insurance company for ~$20k and put $50k into it to make it right, or do you think that if it's THAT important to him that he'd just front another $40k and buy a new car? If he buys the car he'll cut every corner to save a buck - just like the other 400+ "clean title" wrecks I've come across.

Plus the biggest problem is that there is no way to be absolutely sure the job was done right. Period. You could hire the best mechanics, diagnostic techs, and body men the world has to offer to rebuild one and I guarentee you'll never see the money a cherry gets.

As a rule of thumb, one of the biggest problems with the viper is in order to do the "right" job on a repair you'll spend about twice as much as the car is worth. No one works on this car for free and you need to hire professionals to verfy the work - manpower alone could run tens of thousands depending on damage not including the costs of genuine parts. Hell, my paint job alone will set me back at least ten.

I have also spent a lot of time tracking wrecked cars and one thing is always for certain - you cannot completely hide the damage even with a "clear title." We used to amuse ourselves here by posting pics of ebay cars and picking out the tell-tale signs of damage.

In case you dont know Doug is pretty handy with Vipers in general and has the resources to repair this car at a fraction of the cost and even a car(Viper) hit hard in the rear is not gonna cost 50k to repair. What are you thinking? I dont care if the frame needs straightening and panels need replacing, it aint nowhere near 50k What are you thinking.

The guy you quoted said it right. Once it is repaired properly and the alignment meets specs then enjoy it or maybe sell if one chooses.

And when the hell does a case of Krylon cost 10k?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sigh... I have bit my tonge with the responses you post, but in this case I have to interject. The car will probably not be worth as much, but if you have the time and know what you are doing rebuilders are worth doing. I have seen your car and it will not take $10K to repaint it, less than half of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth