2002 GTS Compared to 2003 - 2006 SRT 10s

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(For anyone that has own or driven both as its difficult to actually find these cars in person to compare) how does the ride, driveability, and power of a 2002 GTS compare to the SRT10s? I own an SRT10 and recently have found several 2002 GTS models however they are with out of state dealers. Through my reasearch it also appears many comment on the breaks and cooling systems (overheating). Clearly ever car is unique but does the 02 GTS have a theme trend of overheating and are the breaks that much different from the SRTs? Any other unique characteristics to pay attention to? I am doing reasearch as I want to get this deal right. I am really interested in getting a GEN II this time because of the styling and the fact that the cars are really unique. Comments and advice appreciated.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a '99 and it doesn't overheat at all. The brakes do **** though but I don't have anti locks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an 02 with daves big brake conversion is what it sounds like you want. there's no overheating problems i have ever seen. its just the brakes that are lacking. but i know a couple guys with daves kit and they say it changes it drastically.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS cars stop fine for me. Way more than I ever need. The extra capacity of the SRT10 is not used for practical purposes unless racing.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never heard of overheating as a problem with any Viper. Corvettes maybe, but they're tops come off when needed! :D

SRTs just drive smoother and are more refined, aiside from the looks of course.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overheating circa 2001-2002 was due to the water pump impeller failures. Mine went last summer at 10-12K miles. Easy DIY fix in my opinion (under $300 for everything). I also swapped the stock radiator for an after market aluminum just because I was addressing the water pump issue and with the $$$ I saved doing my own repairs, I could justify the purchase. With that said, I do not recommend the Fluidyne aluminum replacement. The stock system up to that point was working fine even through the Florida summer heat, but you know how anal Viper owners can be. As far as the brakes...there is a reason in 2003 Dodge "upgraded" to the SRT components. The stockers are fine for everyday use, but as with everything else, if bigger and better are available, then there will be a customer base standing in line. I will be upgrading in the near future "just because I can" and not because I need to (don't tell that to the Mrs.)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No issues with my '02. LOVE IT!

I have drove all Gen's and the jump from a Gen 1 to a Gen2 was pretty big. The gen 3 move is a step up in comfort and power, but not enough to make someone pic it over the gen 2. If you have a Gen 3 and like the looks of the gen 2 .... Go for it! You will love it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We have a 1997 GTS, 1999 GTS(ACR), and a 2001 GTS...ALL of which are more comfortable touring cars than our 2003 SRT-10.

The SRT-10 is a better performer across the board!!!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 GTS and 2006 Coupe.

Biggest difference is that the GenIII is just more refined.
Better A/C, Better Stereo, seats are more comfortable, overall just easier to drive fast. I really just enjoy driving the GenIII much more especially on long drives.

Fit and finish was actually better on my GTS which suprised me. Can't beat the looks of the GTS and the attention you get is just unbelievable. People just freak when they see it.

I think the biggest downside on the GTS for me was the cabin heat, loud gear whine, and exhaust drone. I love the sound of the side exhaust on the coupe.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 GTS ran a lot hotter than my 96 GTS, but the fans kick in on both of them. I think the 2000 had the known water pump problem, but it never overheated except when I lost the crank pulley from the well known under-torqued nut.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had all three Gens, and have logged over 100K miles in Vipers in the last 10 years.

The simplest comparison I've experienced was at VOI9 driving a stock 2002 RT/10 back to back with a 2006 SRT-10 coupe on the autocross course. The differences were immediate and apparent.

The SRT has more low-end grunt, a smoother-transitioning suspension, and far far better brakes. Keep in mind the '02 has ABS. The '02's ABS activated quite a bit, while the SRT ABS maybe once or twice per run. My overall impression was that the differences felt pretty dramatic.

I've run a couple dozen road course DE events (including 4 Viper Days events) in the past three years with two different Gen II cars (one my current ACR) and a '04 SRT-10. I can't say enough about the Gen 3 brakes. Incredible. Far better than my aftermarket Stop-Tech upgrade on the '00 ACR. I basically matched lap times of the ACR with a bone-stock (down to the paper air filters) SRT-10 (although I have more experience now with the ACR than I did the last time I tracked an SRT-10). The SRT was far less stable over 130 MPH, but the car has no aero stuff like my ACR (wing/splitter).

The GTS is a better-looking car, compared to the SRT-10 convertible, although the SRT convertible is not an ugly car by any means. And the SRT coupe? Great looking car.

Overheating? Never experienced it with any Viper, despite very hard use with all of them. Not even on the track. Even the old 514 stroker Venom Gen 1 car (550 rwhp/580 rear wheel TQ) never ran hot, with a stock radiator.

Bottom line? Stock versus stock, the SRT-10 is a better performer across the board. One of these days, I'll buy a used SRT 'vert with some safety & track mods (including aero!) to use as a track ******.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molgera