2003 Certificate and (non) Negotiation ?

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will get a straight deal with Bill Pemberton. What city are you in?

Reaction score
If I understand your post, you just went into a deal blind! Why would you give a dealer a Cert. without knowing how much over dealer invoice (not MSRP) you will pay? The only unknow is the dealer invoice amount. You had 100% control until you gave up your Cert!

I think you are working with someone who is about to hose you!

We have six dealers that out club confirmed pricing, all based on the dealer invoice specific price plus a fixed amount (not percentage) and a defined deposit.

I suggest you get back to the dealer (talk to the owner) and work out a price based on their invoice plus 0.00 to $500.00 over invoice! My opinion on pricing!

If you can not work out a deal your need to get you VCA Pres. involved asap.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gvanscoy,

With all due respect, what in the world were you thinking? You actually BELIEVED what the dealer told you? AND you gave him your cert? If that's what happened, then I'm sorry but you deserve whatever price you pay.

How does the cert holder not have control? The car is being sold to YOU, NOT to the dealer. He doesn't know the price, but he CAN say "x% over invoice" or "$x below MSRP" or something. Or at the least he can say it's gonna cost you MSRP.

The fact that he is blaming Dodge is ludicrous. Don't tell me you actually believed that, did you?

Call up this dealer and tell him you don't want the car through him and you want your cert back. If he says he already faxed it, tell him you want a WRITTEN deal for $x dollars OVER INVOICE and if he refuses, tell him you will be calling Dodge to request that they switch your certificate to another dealer, AND that you will be complaining about deceptive business practices from these guys.

But seriously... people who take the bait hook, line, and sinker are the ones who let these scumbag dealers exist. Why didn't you come on this site for info BEFORE going to the dealer? Or at least THINK about what he was saying before you committed $$'s to a car at an unknown price. What are you going to do when the car comes in and he tells you it will cost you $30k over MSRP? Pay it? Or lose the car you (obviously) want because he screwed you?

Call Bill Pemberton NOW (www.woodhouse.com) and perhaps he can help changing your order to his dealership. You'll pay alot UNDER MSRP and even if you get the car shipped, you'll save $$'s.

And shame on you for not using your head!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe this board keeps getting the same posts about tricky dealers. Why can't these folks just listen and learn? Go to the dealers that support this site, such as Woodhouse. Gees!

Maybe it's because the buyer doesn't come to this site until they screw up. Sad.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Please allow me to be redundant:

Go to our home page, click sponsors, and enjoy a hassle free and absolutely pleasurable experience!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

Good point... I feel bad for these people but GEEEZ! I figure if you are in a position to buy a Viper, it ain't your first car purchasing experience and you must be reasonably confident handling money and entering into negociation talks.

I just can't imagine someone getting screwed like that - I'd think these folks would have some sense of good and bad and fair and unfair.

I guess Barnum had a point
smile.gif

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the dealer today with my '03 certificate inhand only to be dismayed by the position that I am in regarding negotiating a deal. I placed my refundable deposit and the dealer signed and faxed my certificate. The dealer has no pricing, and will not commit to a percentage over invoice scenario. In fact, the dealer himself stated that this "system" really places you (me) at no position to bargain once prices come out. Basically, if I do not agree with the price they ask for at that time or my trade-in allowance (if I do that), the dealer will take receipt of the vehicle and can sell it on the open market. Anyone have a different experience?

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That dealer is trying to give you the ole screw job. My local dealer contracted simply "$500 over invoice". Regardless of sticker they only asked for $500 over the INVOICE. I would do what I could to get your cert back and go elsewhere. Print this thread and take it to the dealership management.

Greg
96 RT (K&N carbon fiber airbox, smooth tubes, Borla 3" exhaust, revalved Konis, Eibach springs, adj endlinks, anti-toe brackets)
00 GTS (K&N's)
01 SVT COBRA
03 SRT-10 ( not soon enough )

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I just can't imagine someone getting screwed like that - I'd think these folks would have some sense of good and bad and fair and unfair.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

You're being unbelievably naive. After all, this is ***the CAR business*** man! If you don't know your dealer WELL, or don't choose to deal with the site sponsors, then take your favorite personal lubricant with you and try to relax while you get the business.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean,

No, no no... you got me all wrong - I'm not NEARLY that naive!
smile.gif

I meant the CUSTOMER would have some sense of right and wrong and fair and unfair. I would think ANYONE who has reached the position where they are buying a $70-80k car (their second one at least, since they would have had to buy a previous Viper new) would be more in touch with the games dealers play, and be a little more prepared.

The original poster reminded me of a high school kid who bought the lines the dealer was feeding him - and now I fear he might just need that tub of lubricant when the car arrives and he learns what the dealer is gonna sell it to him for.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the cert is handed to a dealer, Dodge has to send the SRT/10 to that dealer. What happens then is up to the customer and the dealer. This is why we placed warnings in this very section as to what dealers you may want to deal with.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any Canadian member been quoted a price yet on the 2003 SRT-10? I am interested to know. My dealer charged $750 Canadian over Dealer Invoice for my 96 GTS. I plan on using him again but thought others may be interested in a reference point. We have a Canadian sponser on the Board although I do not know what they are charging.
If you are going to bring a Keg to anyone please allow your friends from the north to bring a few filled with real beer!!!
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456