3R-Racing Finishes Fourth, Fifth and Tenth at Road Atlanta

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
September 24, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Finishes Fourth, Fifth and Tenth at Road Atlanta

Braselton, Georgia - 3R-Racing drivers Phil McClure, Tommy Archer, Tim Wiens finished in fourth, fifth and tenth today in round nine of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series race at Road Atlanta. 3R new comer Rob Foster finished in 32nd after losing the transmission at the start of the race.

Phil McClure, piloting the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette, qualified in second and was able to hold his position until lap fourteen when the Liddell Porsche got past. "I had a good car. Liddell was strong and I was using up my tires trying to keep him behind me, so I let him go. I could hold off Gigliotti for fourth, but we caught traffic in the wrong place and he went past. I really didn't have anything for him down the straights at the end of the race."

Tommy Archer, driving the number 22/c3controls/ Whelen Engineering/3R Viper, who is currently locked in a points battle for the championship improved his championship outlook today, leaving him just four away from the top spot. "The race felt like a 50-minute qualifying session. I was able to get a good start and then was boxed in going up the hill and the Porsche was able to get past. I was being pursued by Pilgrim in the Cadillac and was driving every lap hard. The car developed a loose feeling at the entry of the corners. Based upon points leader Galati finishing in eleventh, Laguna should be pretty exciting."

Viper teammate Tim Wiens, driving the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, qualified in eleventh place and ran as high eighth until finishing tenth behind premier road racer Johnny O'Connell. "I had a good run. O'Connell couldn't quite get close enough early on to make a pass. I went down into the esses on the last lap and there was some oil there and I slid off line which allowed him to get past me along with the two Audis. I was able to make up the places on the Audis down the long straight. The car was good all day."

Rob Foster's weekend of discontent continued into the race. Driving the number 71/LTI Contracting/Foster Motorsports/3R-Viper, he was lined up on the grid and when the lights went out for the start the car didn't move. "I pulled into my position after the parade laps getting ready for the standing start. I revved the car to 3500 rpms, dropped the clutch and didn't move. I tried a few other gears, but had a fist full of neutral. It was a tough weekend with our blown motor on Wednesday. Now I will have a new drive train for Laguna."

The race from Road Atlanta will be televised on Speed Channel Sunday at 1:00 p.m. eastern time.

Speed GT Top 10 Road Atlanta Finishers:
1. Max Angelelli Cadillac
2. Robin Lydell Porsche
3. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
4. Phil McCLure 3R Corvette
5. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
6. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
7. Leighton Reese Corvette
8. Michael Culver Porsche
9. Johnny O'Connell Cadillac
10. Tim Wiens 3R Viper
32. Rob Foster 3R-Viper

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.