3R-Racing Has High and Lows at Mid-Ohio

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
June 27, 2004
Immediate Release

3R-Racing Has High and Lows at Mid-Ohio

Lexington, Ohio - 3R-Racing's mixed weekend continued into the race for round three of the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge GT series today at Mid-Ohio. Tommy Archer finished fourth with teammates Tim Wiens and Phil McClure going out early.

Archer qualified his number 22/c3controls/Whelen Engineering/3R Viper in seventh position, but immediately improved three places by getting a good start and moving into fourth by turn three. "I had a good start, everyone was lined up on the right going into two so I went around the outside and found a hole. The race then pretty much played out. On the restart I was able to get my front bumper in line with the Cadillac to pass but I was on the wrong side of the track and couldn't make it stick. The car was pretty loose on the back section from that point on and I was focusing on keeping the Corvette behind me. It was good race for us, this will improve my points situation going into Sears Point."

The beginning of the race was also the end for Phil McClure, driver of the number 73/Aggregate Industries/3R Corvette. "I had a good start and then going into the first turn I was hit from behind and got sideways and was hit again in the front. The radiator was broke, ending my race 200 yards from where I started."

Tim Wiens driving the driver of the number 33/1st Interstate Inns/3R Viper, also had a difficult Mid-Ohio. "I was making up ground and settling in for a good race when into turn one the engine let go. The good news is the campers will not need bug spray tonight. It is very unusual to have that kind of problem with this motor, we will plug in another and be ready for the West Coast swing."

The next race for the Speed GT series will be race will be run on Sunday, July 18.

Speed GT Top 10 Finishers at Mid-Ohio:

1. Michael Galati Audi
2. Randy Pobst Audi
3. John Heinricy Cadillac
4. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
5. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
6. Max Angelelli Cadillac
7. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
8. John Young Mustang
9. Mike McCann Viper
10. Stan Wilson Viper
28. Tim Wiens 3R Viper
31. Phil McClure 3R Corvette

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.