4 Viper Tires....$900 Installed!

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After looking at how much it was going to cost to get a set of new PS2's for my '97 GTS, I decided to give the Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires a try.

I ended up ordering online and they were $165 each for the fronts and $222 each for the rears. That came to $840.28 total to my door. I didn't think that was too bad considering the other options out there.

This morning I pulled my wheels off the car myself and took them to a local shop here near St. Louis to make the switch. $60 later I had a new set of tires installed. They even installed new chrome valve stems and let me back in the shop to make sure that the rims were not damaged in the process. A very good experience to say the least.

So when all was said and done, the grand total ended up being $900.28 installed. I was pretty happy with that considering that it was going to cost nearly that much for just 2 of the rear Michelin PS2's BEFORE shipping and installation. We'll see how they wear and perform before I put my final stamp of approval on them, but for now I'm happy to have saved several hundred bucks.

I'll post pictures and feedback with regard to the handling of the tires soon. Gotta get the rims back on the car before that can happen though... :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unbelievable...Kumho makes them in 17", 18/19" but not 18/18" for the GenII's...:mad:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After looking at how much it was going to cost to get a set of new PS2's for my '97 GTS, I decided to give the Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires a try.

I ended up ordering online and they were $165 each for the fronts and $222 each for the rears. That came to $840.28 total to my door. I didn't think that was too bad considering the other options out there.

HALF OF ALL ADVERTISING IS WASTED ! What about the PartsRack Option?

Too bad for VCA Vendors, and for you, that you apparently did not check out PartsRack's offer, posted about 2 weeks ago. We have delivered a few sets already of the 17" XS for $800-$815 TO YOUR DOOR. [We were the first to announce here the availability of this tire model in Viper Sizes.] We also have a GREAT VCA MEMBER - TIRE VENDOR / INSTALLER John Z, in St Louis !

Maybe next time? ....Please: How do we earn at least a shot at your business? You would have saved $40, and you would be supporting a vendor that makes this site possible...

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...17-srt10-tires-4-new-kumhos-under-1275-a.html post # 9

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the wheels back on the car and took it out for an initial drive. First impressions are the following:

The Good: Overall, the tires actually ride quite nice. They seem a little quieter on the road than my 17,*** mile original 12 year-old Michelin Pilot Sports. They also smoothed things out considerably from 80-100 MPH. This could be the balancing, the new tires...or probably a combination of both! Anyway, there was a noticeable "shake" from 80 MPH on up before that is not there now. Much better! They also seem to have quite a bit more grip off the line especially evident during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. These were a handful above 3500 RPM with the previous tires to say the least. Again, much better now. And I didn't realize until I read the previous post, but I guess I should be happy that I still have the stock '97 GTS 17" rims or I might have had to spend much more for tires this go-round. :)

The Not-So-Good: No "major" complaints yet. The tires do seem to kick up a bit more road debris than the others, but I sort of expected that. Like the other tires, they also seem to track side to side a bit with the various uneven surfaces of the road, most notable at lower speeds. I know wide tires will tend to do that, but it does seem a little less drastic now with these tires compared what I had before.

Too soon to tell how they are going to hold up over time, but so far I'm happy. Anyone else have any comments, questions or concerns about these tires at this point.

Now a couple of questions for the experts here... Are people having good luck with the stock 29 PSI tire pressure with these tires? Also, does anyone know the proper torque specs for the lug nuts on a Viper rim. I torqued them to 100 ft./lbs. for now as I have done with many other cars in the past. I figure I will check them again after a few more miles and set the proper torque then. Thanks in advance for any comments, questions or answers to my questions...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB,

Honestly, I had a feeling this reply might be coming. I have been unable to access your website for quite some time now. Not sure if others are having this problem or not, but I typed your URL in now on two different computers and each time I type it in, I get nothing. I've even tried it from work with the same result, so I don't think it is my web connection causing the issue. It always takes me to the Google web search results for partsrack.com. Am I typing something incorrectly here? More to the point...it certainly wasn't intentional to not do business with your and definitely nothing against the wonderful supporters of this site. It was merely a convenience thing. And when I said "considering other options out there", I was referring to the other tire manufacturers out there...not vendors such as yourself. Perhaps you can help me figure out why I can not access your site? Send me a PM or email. I'd love to do business with you in the future. Thanks!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB,

Honestly, I had a feeling this reply might be coming. I have been unable to access your website for quite some time now. Not sure if others are having this problem or not, but I typed your URL in now on two different computers and each time I type it in, I get nothing. I've even tried it from work with the same result, so I don't think it is my web connection causing the issue. It always takes me to the Google web search results for partsrack.com. Am I typing something incorrectly here? More to the point...it certainly wasn't intentional to not do business with your and definitely nothing against the wonderful supporters of this site. It was merely a convenience thing. And when I said "considering other options out there", I was referring to the other tire manufacturers out there...not vendors such as yourself. Perhaps you can help me figure out why I can not access your site? Send me a PM or email. I'd love to do business with you in the future. Thanks!

Thank YOU ! I have no idea why from time-to-time the web store acts rusty! And for some reason it does NOT work in Switzerland (despite that fact I am genetic-Swiss!!) I do check my own site EVERY DAY to be sure it works once! But all my ads and links and posts here have my e-dress and phone..... NEXT TIME!! Thanks.

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3046d1234478796-4-viper-tires-900-installed-100_0455.jpg

Nice tires, but what's up with the rusty bolts.... Detail Time.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HALF OF ALL ADVERTISING IS WASTED ! What about the PartsRack Option?

Too bad for VCA Vendors, and for you, that you apparently did not check out PartsRack's offer, posted about 2 weeks ago. We have delivered a few sets already of the 17" XS for $800-$815 TO YOUR DOOR. [We were the first to announce here the availability of this tire model in Viper Sizes.] We also have a GREAT VCA MEMBER - TIRE VENDOR / INSTALLER John Z, in St Louis !

Maybe next time? ....Please: How do we earn at least a shot at your business? You would have saved $40, and you would be supporting a vendor that makes this site possible...

http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...17-srt10-tires-4-new-kumhos-under-1275-a.html post # 9

$800 to my door ? Hummmm :hmmm:

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a set from Jon B for my "96GTS & absolutly love them !! Off the line traction has greatly improved over the Michelin Pilots.

Shutdown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I think many people are literally looking at the economy right now. Maybe the VCA would have a check the box notification for folks that are looking for a tire quote. Show me a Viper owner and you'll be looking at a near-future tire buyer. I have a gen 2 GTS. Please send me a PM on some really stickey DOT's. Not happy with Pilots right now.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3046d1234478796-4-viper-tires-900-installed-100_0455.jpg

Nice tires, but what's up with the rusty bolts.... Detail Time.

I noticed that too...was hoping others wouldn't...should have known better. This cold weather here in St. Louis is apparently really cutting into my Viper detailing schedule! :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First of all, I think many people are literally looking at the economy right now. Maybe the VCA would have a check the box notification for folks that are looking for a tire quote. Show me a Viper owner and you'll be looking at a near-future tire buyer. I have a gen 2 GTS. Please send me a PM on some really stickey DOT's. Not happy with Pilots right now.

$1029 / set of 4? Super-sticky...4 times as sticky as Pilots......8 times as sticky as OLD Pilots!!

We dont/cannot handle ***..... "If You Dont Call Or Email me, I Cant Save You Any Money"

Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed that too...was hoping others wouldn't...should have known better. This cold weather here in St. Louis is apparently really cutting into my Viper detailing schedule! :)

You could take one into a nut-bolt-fastener place and get STAINLESS for a few bucks.
Take one from your front and from under the side-sills too, and replace em all in a few minutes!

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This morning I pulled my wheels off the car myself and took them to a local shop here near St. Louis to make the switch. $60 later I had a new set of tires installed. They even installed new chrome valve stems and let me back in the shop to make sure that the rims were not damaged in the process. A very good experience to say the least.

So when all was said and done, the grand total ended up being $900.28 installed. I was pretty happy with that considering that it was going to cost nearly that much for just 2 of the rear Michelin PS2's BEFORE shipping and installation. We'll see how they wear and perform before I put my final stamp of approval on them, but for now I'm happy to have saved several hundred bucks.

I'll post pictures and feedback with regard to the handling of the tires soon. Gotta get the rims back on the car before that can happen though... :)
Hey Thanks for the heads up on these Tires, I called a very respectable Local Tire Dealer and they said they would sell me a set for $740.00 plus lifetime balancing, so I got em. So don't forget your local community needs you too!!!

Sniper

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe it's my imagination but those tires sure don't look like 335's on the rear. Look awful narrow. My 335's look twice as wide. Anybody else notice that?
I am definitely going with the Kumho's. :2tu:

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe it's my imagination but those tires sure don't look like 335's on the rear. Look awful narrow. My 335's look twice as wide. Anybody else notice that?
I am definitely going with the Kumho's. :2tu:

I assure you that they are, in fact, 335's...just a bad picture I guess.

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yea sorry about that post, after I posted it I was thinking....

I just bought my car and it has rusty bolts all over. I am taking them off a couple at a time and refinishing them....

Radu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank YOU ! I have no idea why from time-to-time the web store acts rusty! And for some reason it does NOT work in Switzerland (despite that fact I am genetic-Swiss!!) I do check my own site EVERY DAY to be sure it works once! But all my ads and links and posts here have my e-dress and phone..... NEXT TIME!! Thanks.

Jon, I had a quick look (since I'm an IT guy when I'm not driving the Viper) and I would say your Web host Blastmart is the problem. Looks like it's run by PM Tech LLC / Eric Schorvitz in Georgia, probably a small company run out of this guy's garage since they only have about 5 stores online and their Web site is "Copyright 2001". They're blocking certain IPs in Switzerland for some reason, maybe an old filter they forgot to remove. I would suggest moving your site to any one of the big Web hosting companies out there (here's a list), you'll probably pay less too.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
:needpics:

Hey Thanks for the heads up on these Tires, I called a very respectable Local Tire Dealer and they said they would sell me a set for $740.00 plus lifetime balancing, so I got em. So don't forget your local community needs you too!!!

Sniper

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, I had a quick look (since I'm an IT guy when I'm not driving the Viper) and I would say your Web host Blastmart is the problem. ....They're blocking certain IPs in Switzerland for some reason, maybe an old filter they forgot to remove. I would suggest moving your site to any one of the big Web hosting companies out there (here's a list), you'll probably pay less too.

Thanks RADU, Switzerland is now TURNED ON AGAIN, thanx to U