500hp Mustang to hit NY Autoshow

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to the show tomorrow and read in the paper this morning that Ford will introduce the new 500hp Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 SVT. "Expect to see it in showrooms late next summer-and it won't be cheap!" I believe that Dodges good ol' SRT boys have some tricks up their sleeves for the Viper SRT that will suprise quite a few people. There is too much internet chatter from people in the know not to believe otherwise!

The big loser in these horsepower wars has to be GM and their C6 Vette. With so many vehicles producing more power, the C6 will become an Albatross even before reaching full production.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that one of the "winks and nods" we got in Detroit was to be sure to keep an eye on the New York show. Should be interesting indeed! Be sure to let us know what you learn about our beloved Viper.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
500hp Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 SVT.

Are you sure about the power? I just read (post show):

"Its supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from SVT’s experience with supercharging the “MOD” engine to deliver more than 450 horsepower and 450 foot pounds of torque. "

KL

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I heard 450 hp also.

I thought this was just the Shelby itteration of the current Mustang, and the regular Ford Cobra version (without the Shelby name) would return in 2007? It has been said by Ford fans that the next Cobra is coming in 2007, and is supposed to have the Ford GT engine, (at some unknown level of tuning).

Shoot, I don't know, but I sure do like it regardless.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your killing me!! I've been waiting almost 3 months for my Mamba and now there is a hint of more HP for 2006? I might have to roll my deposit over to next year if true, can't wait to hear what you see at the show.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted, is that your graphite RT/10 at Woodhouse? Any details you can provide on the Paxton setup...ie stock pistons, power output, etc? I cant decide what to do with mine.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave....No, I sold mine to another member here in SoCal. It was stock except for 3" hi-flow ceramic cats, and Corsa cat-back with the Corsa sill muffs replaced with custom 24" units I had made at United Muffler in Canada. Cats plus Corsa was too loud for me. Tuned by Dan Cragin, great power, 535 at the wheels if I remember. Drove like stock until 3000 RPM, then WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ted

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your killing me!! I've been waiting almost 3 months for my Mamba and now there is a hint of more HP for 2006? I might have to roll my deposit over to next year if true, can't wait to hear what you see at the show.

Ted, you'll loose silver color if you do wait- and the Mamba. But you'll prob get the coupe wheels, which are very cool, and maybe more HP. I was in your boat just last week (waiting for '06), but I just could not live w/out a silver car, so I did the deed.

PS why wait? Bill Pemberton (Woodhouse Dodge) has 3 more Mambas in stock now.

Ken

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, silver is my favorite also, mine was ordered late December, should be here any day. Same old game, buy a car, computer, whatever, then next year's model is better, keeps people buying, I guess. Of course if the only issue is HP, that is solvable-----Paxton, etc.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They use a blower to get their 450+ horsepower in the new Mustang. The car weighs 3,600 pounds. Cost = $39,000+. Looks like we'll have some more kids trying to test the Vipers with their new Mustangs this summer -- bring them on! :2tu:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They use a blower to get their 450+ horsepower in the new Mustang. The car weighs 3,600 pounds. Cost = $39,000+. Looks like we'll have some more kids trying to test the Vipers with their new Mustangs this summer -- bring them on! :2tu:

Witha 39K price tag I doubt there will be alot of kids with them.

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500hp Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 SVT.

Are you sure about the power? I just read (post show):

"Its supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from SVT’s experience with supercharging the “MOD” engine to deliver more than 450 horsepower and 450 foot pounds of torque. "

KL

I'll find out for sure tomorrow, but here's what I read in todays paper..

Shelby Mustang Cobra makes its worldwide debut

ON the way to its global debut at the New York International Auto Show, the Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 SVT— the hottest Mustang yet — stopped off at Times Square for a photo shoot.

Heads spun as the 500bhp engine roared, and in seconds the car had disappeared, surrounded by crowds and flashing cameras like a star at the Oscars.

Grown men were whimpering "I’m in love" or simply "Wow!" Everyone wanted their picture taken with the Cobra.

Engineered by Ford’s Special Vehicle Team, it’s powered by the same supercharged 5.4-litre V8 as the GT500 super car, and the suspension has been beefed up to handle the power.

The name itself is a collection of all the monikers worn by past hot Mustangs, but you won’t find it on the car. Instead it wears the distinctive stripes and Shelby name across the back seen on performance ponies of the 1960s, and a rising Cobra adorns the fenders and grille. Its most distinctive feature is a jawline that warns others to get out of the way.

Expect to see this in showrooms late next summer — and it won’t be cheap.

Here's the link

http://specialsections.nypost.com/news/nypost/nypdrive/20050324/p45.asp
http://specialsections.nypost.com/news/nypost/nypdrive/20050324/p43.asp

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are the specs for the new GT40 -- I think what he read was that the $39,000 Mustang was going to be competive with the new GT40 that costs $147,000.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that one of the "winks and nods" we got in Detroit was to be sure to keep an eye on the New York show. Should be interesting indeed! Be sure to let us know what you learn about our beloved Viper.

Any news?? Please! Throw me a friggin bone.. 550,.. 600?

ChrisL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Over 450" is what the Ford guys were saying, so knowing Ford, that means it's probably 450.1 HP.

:)

You must be registered for see images

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hell yeah Can't wait

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Over 450" is what the Ford guys were saying, so knowing Ford, that means it's probably 450.1 HP.

:)

I have to say it... it's uuuuugly!

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does say over 450 hp.

1563112_1285-med.JPG

A Mustang putting out pre-SRT "Viper-like" numbers is impressive. It will never handle like a Viper but the power is there. Poor GM,the C6 just got it's A$$ handed to them!

1563112_1284-med.JPG

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No news from the show. As of now it's still 500hp.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice overall. I like the Mustang debadging and the Shelby rear. The front grill doesn't look right, though. Kinda of like a Dodge Magnum genetic defect. Of course, it looks good because it looks like a 40 yr old car, which is really an extremely pathetic thought for a new car company(that the best they can do is copy a 40 yr old design). I can't see buying it. I would get a 2-8 yr old Mustang Cobra and drop $30k in mods, and have it exactly like I wanted. Of course, UniquePerformance.com makes some killer new old style Mustang Coupes for $99k and $150k for the GT350 and GT500 Models, respectively. I can see paying that much money for a Viper if Vipers couldn't be had any other way, but that's a boatload of money for a Mustang. Makes me feel better about what I paid for my Viper. Heck, I got a bargain!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No news from the show. As of now it's still 500hp.

still hoping.

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket..some good points but the new GT500 in stock form will put out over 450hp for $39k (est)with a factory warrantee. Thats not bad at all! I like the fact that it looks like the original 40 year old Shelby GT500s, which some are going for over $100k.
I think Ford hit a home run with this new car.

For more info see here..http://www.gotmustang.com

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are times I wish I kept my '03 Cobra, as many have posted only a few grand in mods and you have some serious power. However, having everybody and their brother pull over, wave, honk, etc and me as I drive by is worth more. Heck, I still ooh and ahh when I see a Viper. Nonetheless, I really like the new Shelby SVT Cobra and perhaps could get one again, plus it will really erk my co-worker who is a Cobraholic!!