522 ci TT

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all... for any of you with a built TT... do you all have a lumpy, mean idle? This sound is music to my ears!!! However, I have heard a few TT cars that were as docile as grandma's 4 door sedan. I prefer the non-sleeper, in your face idle. Just curious if UGR built all his 522s with a healthy cam. I am looking at a very mild and safe rwhp of 823 and rwtq of 975 on water/**** at 12 psi boost.

Thanks...

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine sounds pretty mild. Little lumpy but its a rsi build and not a ugr build. I could do a sound clip

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two technical reasons fight having a "lopey" sound, when talking about twin turbo setups.

1. The turbos themselves act as mufflers, since the exhaust note has to pass through the turbine. This alters the sound waves, a lot.
2. Lopey cams are typically associated with a higher overlap cam profile (low lobe separation angle), which isn't really suited for a boosted application. That excessive overlap bleeds off boost. Better for NA setups and high rpm.

OP
OP
V

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle is not that lumpy...just mean sounding. On TT 522 engines with mild tune and 12psi boost, does 823/975 for rwhp/rwtq sound in the ball park? I am not used to seeing torque so much higher than hp. this was on a mustang dyno. do they measure about as good as the regular ones?

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NineBall nailed it...

On your last questions (post before this one) - Those numbers sound pretty low for 12 PSI on a 522. I make over 900 RWHP on only 9 PSI (but I am E85) and only only have 512 CI.

Quite frankly, there is no reason you shouldn't be making 1100+ reliably and safely with that setup (a forged 522).

To further underscore what NineBall said, you just don't need a gnarly cam to make big power... Just .600+ lift (which doesn't effect how the exhaust note sounds) is really all you need.

OP
OP
V

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NineBall nailed it...

On your last questions (post before this one) - Those numbers sound pretty low for 12 PSI on a 522. I make over 900 RWHP on only 9 PSI (but I am E85) and only only have 512 CI.

Quite frankly, there is no reason you shouldn't be making 1100+ reliably and safely with that setup (a forged 522).

To further underscore what NineBall said, you just don't need a gnarly cam to make big power... Just .600+ lift (which doesn't effect how the exhaust note sounds) is really all you need.
Wow...seems I am running on the low end. Was told by mustang dynamic person that this tune has very little timing dialed in. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave