600hp Hemi V-10 for the new SRT Coupes!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been reading this in other forums..has anybody else heard of this?

Will it be at the NEW YORK Autoshow?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE heard (from someonein the know) that when the coupe is released it will have 600HP HOWEVER this is the first im hearing of it being a hemi 600HP.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STU,
You might be right. Today I was watching a DCX video of the Ram SRT-10 and they say "The ram's output is a 500hp viper V-10 hemi". I played it over and over and they do say hemi! is the Ram SRT-10 supposedly a test vehicle?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also heard the ram be refered to as a hemi motor I always thought the people who were saying were idiots but maybe imthe idiot and their right.

SNAKE.OIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer here in Tucson where we bought our '04 said they were coming out with a high HP Hemi in the Viper in 2 years. I deal in the motorsports industry and manufactures and I believe something is coming but the HP figures the dealer gave me I think was a little inflated. It has been my experience that some dealers know when something is up. The way that DC pushes the Hemi on everything else it just makes sense for them to follow suite with the Viper roadster. I really doubt that DC will just sit around and let the competition walk all over them. It just takes a few years for the new products to be tested and cycled into production. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperGTS-R,
The voice on the video said 500 hp Viper V10 hemi engine. It would seem that either the "500" or the "hemi" was a mis-statement.
Bob K

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly a 600 HP 6.1 Hemi would make more sense, as most "exotics" are pushing close to (or over) 100 HP per liter, as opposed to the Viper's 60. By the way, did I mention that I am VERY happy with my SRT-10 convertible? :2tu:

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, how about this.

Chevy went with a 427ci small block in the Z06 (remember the 427/425 horse big blocks, L88's, ZL1's, etc. of the '60's). Well, Dodge is pretty inclined towards nostalgia too ("Charger", etc.). How about a 500+ hp 426ci Hemi :eek: for the Viper. Lose nose weight (aluminum block and heads), create buzz with the return of the 426ci Hemi (only available in the Viper), get a closer tie to the Cup program with the Hemi being in there, etc., etc.?

I love my V10. This might be a way to differentiate the new car in a positive way, using the hottest property (in the public's eyes) that they have right now (the Hemi).

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Chrysler 300C SRT 8 coming out this year is going to have a 425 HP naturally aspirated hemi engine. Perhaps what the dealer has heard is the rumor that the next power increase will be accomplished by supercharging this engine. With supercharging, 600 gross HP would not be difficult to achieve. If it happens, it is a good bet that we will see the end of the V10. The supercharged V8 block would be shorter and weigh less. ( It would also probably sound better.) This would leave more room in the engine compartment, lighten the vehicle, and decrease the cost of production by using a more mass produced block. Another question is whether we will see this engine, if it is made, in a Viper ( Lutz's baby) or a renamed Chrysler Firepower. Remember it is "Daimler Chrysler". It is not "Daimler Dodge". It must bother the h-ll out of many DC execs that Dodge has had the Viper for so many years and the lead brand has not had an equivalent or better vehicle. It has always seemed a little backasswards to many.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, No V10? NO DEAL.

The V-10 is what sets the Viper apart from any other american sports car.

Reaction score
Yes I remember the day that mentioning the word HEMI around the Viper was sacrilegious.
Funny how times have changed and through the years with 3 different V-10 engines,
the masses looking to the horsepower gods are once again chanting for the HEMI.
Either a big torque V-10 with hemi heads that was prophesied years ago,
or a giant fuel injected, computer controlled elephant that can be shared with the
old school Mopar fans and start a revival.
We are living in the times of the 2nd Hemi revolution.

The only substitute for a Hemifying our V-10 should be forced induction!!

Does anyone remember the rumors before the 03 came out that it was supposed to be a
smaller displacement V-10?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fun thoughts and who knows what will happen, but like Daniel a Viper without a V10 just isn't right. Of course I believe DC feels the same, and I predict the future Vipers will continue to have V10 -- course , doesn't mean they will be 8.3 liters. :2tu:

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Firepower is having the 425HP Hemi. I would think the new coupe would have 550-600 HP. I don't think Dodge wants to tell anyone or they might not sell as many 2005's. Chrysler came out with the crossfire, and a few months later they said they were adding another 75 or so HP in next years model. Why buy if you like speed, wait. Also Dodge doesn't want GM to know what their plans are i'm sure.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They should just make it a blown 10 liter V-10, making 100 HP per liter. Price the car at 125K and call it a day.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should just make it a blown 10 liter V-10, making 100 HP per liter. Price the car at 125K and call it a day.

That's one expensive Paxton kit at about 4-5 lbs of boost now isn't it? How about an extra 10k? that's be a little better now huh? ;)

Gerald

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's one expensive Paxton kit at about 4-5 lbs of boost now isn't it? How about an extra 10k? that's be a little better now huh? ;)

Gerald

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. The Paxton blower is already smog approved, and costs under $7K. :cool:
So DC could just bolt one onto the Viper for 650HP+ and easily keep the price well under $100K! :eek:
THAT simple move would instantly put the Viper back up on the top of the performance car heap once again. :2tu:

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At our VCA presidents meeting in Detroit last weekend, Dan Knot comfirmed that the Coupe being released this fall WILL NOT have any hp increase over the current 500hp engine. DC is aware of the competition and sees the 500hp mark as somewhat low. He's just surprised it took the competition so long to get here. Heck, it was December 2002 when my SRT arrived.

So his words were that "DC will leap frog the competion." No news of when, how, or with what.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hopeful prediction: DC will announce the ACR version next year with Comp Coupe articulating oil pickup arm, suspension goodies, and 600 HP!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V10 shares bore centers with the small block A series V8. It would make perfect sense to add Hemi heads to the existing V10 engine.

The biggest downside to this option is emissions - but there are ways around this... a trio of DC engineers making a trip to Sonex Research lab here in Maryland would offer one potential solution to getting a Hemi head to burn clean without robbing it of its power potential.

With ultra smart engine management these days, state of art piston design (with cutting edge gas chambers embedded into the crown), low impedence injectors, ceramic coatings and tight quench blueprint tolerances etc - the big V10 could achieve not only passable emissions but phenominal mileage at part throttle.

The older models that have been carefully modifed have achieved 28mpg at 580rwhp without any of this new tech - think what could be done with it!!!

A 500 cube clean, fuel efficient (at cruise) Hemi V10 will be MUCH more marketable than a 7 liter engine because it keeps the Viper as the big mother in the pack, plus it would be much cheaper than a completely new design from scratch.

The old V10 has so much left in it - it'd be a crying shame to see it ditched because bean counters lack vision.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the v-8 hemi engine that resides in dodge trucks have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. the combustion burn is very complete and therefore very clean. putting hemi heads on the viper engine with a 10:1 compression ratio should create 550 hp. if they can get away with sticking a bigger cam in and or incresing the rocker ratio than you would be looking at 575 horsepower. if they do both and bump the compression ratio even higher to say 10.5:1 than i think the engine would make 600 HP. believe it or not i think they can get it to pass emissions becuase all you had to do is keep your ppm's and hydrocarbons in line and you pass.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hemi heads that would go on a Viper V10, would be larger than the present heads. Is there room?

The V10 that we have isn't going to live long at the rpm that hot V8s turn.

Bottom line,
I don't see any hemi mods to the V10.
And they could easily replace the V10 with an aluminum V8 that would have more power, hemi or not.