675 HP race viper & no roll bar???

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i just got the details on the new 675 hp viper option with the wing and the splitter and all of the road racing track mods. it even comes with 6 point restraints. but what i find amazing is that they still don't offer a roll cage or even a 4 point roll bar for this car. with the optional carbon fiber coil over suspension and michellin slicks that this car is gonna ride on > this new road race viper is gonna generate some seriously fast lap times. unfortunately you will not be able to road race the car as a result of not even having a mere 4 point roll bar!!! the gen 3 viper coupe has been out for like 3 years now and i have yet to see one with a roll cage or a 4 point roll bar in it. if anybody on this site has ever seen a 4 point roll bar in a gen 3 COUPE please chime in or preferably post a pic. hopefully somebody in the aftermarket will offer at least a 4 point roll bar for the gen 4 viper coupe because in order to do any road racing with this car you are required to have it in order to pass tech inspection. unfortunately i don't know how one is gonna be made to easily fit in a gen 3 or gen 4 coupe because from the looks of the interior cockpit space there is no room for one inside the car without major interior modifications. i have a BTR 4 point roll bar with the optional side door bar in my gen 2 viper coupe and it barely fit. the amount of space to work with in the gen 3 coupe is even worse, so maybe this explains why i have never heard or seen of one. :confused:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your definition of "Road Racing?
There are many Gen 3 coupes that are racing in SCCA T1. Several on the West coast and a few that race in your back yard at PRI.
A 4 pt. rollbar is not sufficient protection if you are wheel to wheel road racing.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm sure Chris will chime in, but the HOT 675HP example we just got to see is a "SHOWCASE" of Mopar Accessories. I am absolutely confident that ANY drag/road race competitor will visit their local performance shop and install an appropriate roll cage.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well i just got the details on ....... with the optional carbon fiber coil over suspension

It is carbon fiber Ignition coil covers.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE "What is your definition of "Road Racing?
There are many Gen 3 coupes that are racing in SCCA T1. Several on the West coast and a few that race in your back yard at PRI.
A 4 pt. rollbar is not sufficient protection if you are wheel to wheel road racing." QUOTE

so these gen 3 cars that you have seen road racing have a "roll cage" installed in them. i take your response to mean that the interior has been gutted? some road racing organizations in arizona such as www.proautosports.com, etc. will let a gen 2 viper coupe race wheel to wheel with a 4 point roll bar and the optional drivers side door bar that i have in my gen 2 viper. do you know if anybody makes a 4 point roll bar for a gen 3 viper coupe? have you ever seen a gen 3 viper coupe with a 4 point roll bar in it as opposed to one that has had its interior gutted like a comp coupe in order to accomodate a "scca legal roll cage"

also the long course road racing that i do with the following organizations: www.openroadracing.com and www.silverstateclassic.com require a minimum 4 point roll bar to race in their grandsport classes which i race in. the grand sport classes are faster than the grand touring classes that do not require a roll bar but are slower than the unlimited class which requires a "roll cage". BIG difference in not only safety but appearance because every viper (gen 2 coupe included) that i have seen that has a roll cage installed as opposed to a roll bar has significant modification to the factory interior of the car which negatively impacts resale value.

my BTR 4 point roll bar with its optional drivers side door bar allows for me to road race my viper in classes that are faster than the cars that do not have a roll bar and yet at the same time does not tear up the inside of my cars interior. i have not seen anything like this available for a gen 3 coupe. :confused:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only seen 1 Gen 2 Viper with a full SCCA legal cage that did not tear up the interior and that was for a gentleman that was only 5 feet tall. His small stature allowed him to have a cage that was different than 99.9% of the other cages I've seen. Most cars that have the full SCCA legal cage are not driven on the street as the roll bar becomes a weapon in case of an accident as there is no head protection (helmet)being worn.

Compromising safety for resale value is a personal issue but in order to properly put a legal cage in any car would require some "gutting" of a car in order to make the interior fit for the masses.

I've seen a 4pt rollbar in a new coupe but didn't ask where it was purchased from. I'm sure it was a custom job, as the individual does some open tracking at the local road race course.

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
personally i have no desire to drag race my viper as i just use it for road racing only, but....... somebody is gonna need to develop a 4 point roll bar for gen 4 viper coupes because even the standard 2008 viper coupe that has 600 hp is gonna run low 11's in the 1/4 mile. NHRA rules require that all cars that run 10.00-11.50 must have at minimum a 4 point roll bar. cars running 9.99 and quicker are required to have a roll cage. i see major issues with tech coming for this car.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember the SRT guys cringing at the mention of a roll bar/cage... something about legal issues. Maybe for the CC, but don't see it being offered here.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari, Porsche, etc. don't sell street cars with roll cages. Why would you think DC would. I agree with Warfang, it is a legal issue.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if anybody on this site has ever seen a 4 point roll bar in a gen 3 COUPE please chime in or preferably post a pic. hopefully somebody in the aftermarket will offer at least a 4 point roll bar for the gen 4 viper coupe because in order to do any road racing with this car you are required to have it in order to pass tech inspection.

John Archer does it...all the time:

www.archerracing.com

not sure if it shows on their website, but give him a call:

218-727-4806

it costs about $2K for the parts (it actually bolts on, there is plumbing for it in the car already (at least in the 06 coupe there is)

done.

-J

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We have a couple of guys out here in so Cal that make and install roll bars for the new coupes. After seeing the workmanship and the lack of "destruction" to the interior of the first coupe installation, I'm in the process of having one made now.

Not sure if Archer makes one be he would be a good source too.

Dan

OP
OP
F

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a couple of guys out here in so Cal that make and install roll bars for the new coupes. After seeing the workmanship and the lack of "destruction" to the interior of the first coupe installation, I'm in the process of having one made now.

Not sure if Archer makes one be he would be a good source too.

Dan

Viper X - way to go dude....... thats awesome :headbang:

post those pix when you get em. whoever is doin this job for you deserves some credit :2tu:

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this is the oppertunity for DC to get into Le Mans again.

They showed they can make a 675 BHp car. With some modifications..... similar thing happened to the GTS to make it the GTS/R, it could be a racer again.

This would only mean the SRT would have to be in a higher class (GT2) as the Competition Coupe (GT3) to continue both.

Similar situations to Porsche and Ferrari.
They build cars with lots of horsepower..... the cars can be upgraded to a race spec (homologated to race in Le Mans).
And.... for real heavvy racing, there are allready partially upgraded cars available, like the GT3 RS and the 360 Stradale etc.
So, this proves to me there could be a SRT-R and a client race spec CC both together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62