8 hours for an alignment!?!?!?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently stopped by a Dodge dealer in Daytona to get my front end aligned. He said that aligning the front-end of a Viper can sometimes take up to 8 hours?!?!? (at $75 per hour!) Is he right or was he trying to take me for a ride? I've owned and worked on many exotic and racing cars in the past and I've never seen one that could take 8 hours for an alignment! If anyone is curious, this was Speedway Dodge right across from the Daytona USA track.

--Rob Hook

Reaction score
They have been on the crack pipe. I have had my car done several times from different companies and the longest was 2 hours. All had a set fee of how much it would be before the work was done. Normally between 85.00- 160.00

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a bit much, but remember it really requires a 4-wheel alignment. You really want to be sure everything is square and true in addition to setting caster, camber and toe.

Also, if you need an alignment due to any frame tweek, well the time can be more significant.

Figure about 4-6 hrs for a top-notch job.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Speedway Dodge told you 8 hrs I doubt that he was referring to actual working time on the car. A good Service Advisor will normally schedule an oops window of time in case the previous car does not meet completion on schedule or yours does not. Another closely held secret: If the Dodge dealer is doing an alignment exactly by the book, he will mount up some specialty equipment (factory supplied for Viper only) on your Viper called inclinometers. They will measure rear castor, a good way to do this however some of the modern alignment machines can now do it by other means. To get a high quality dead-on alignment including corner weighting on a Viper requires 3 to 5 hours of working time. Pricing is usually flat fee.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you just heard from one of THE most respected dealers hisself! However, to translate for us dummies a bit, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $300-400 for a full bore Viper alignment, properly done, from your Dodge dealer. Discuss it with the Tech himself beforehand if you're uncertain. After taking several "Viper alignment classes" myself, taught by Rich Carlson, the DC Viper Tech trainer..... I can say that you DO NOT want someone unfamiliar with Viper design heights, ride heights, and other important specifications, aligning your car. This is NOT!!!!!!! a $49.95 tire store job. Having the wrong angles and compression under load and rebound of your front suspension can be VERY dangerous under high performance driving conditions.

For simple issues like only a toe setting, some guys just "string" their own cars when time and other tools are not available, like at the track. Discuss your needs and desires with a Tech before starting. Maybe you don't really need or want a complete alignment.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Woodhouse:
To get a high quality dead-on alignment including corner weighting on a Viper requires 3 to 5 hours of working time. Pricing is usually flat fee.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a "by the book" alignment on a Viper will take at least 4 hours. However, many dealerships do not normally conduct their own alignments in-house. If the Viper Tech sees only a few cars per year, they may only align a Viper once a year, or less. Going through a ballast and ride height check, plus bump-steering all 4 wheels, then aligning the car could very well take the better part of a day for someone who doesn't do it very often.

Bob is blessed to have Rick Maxwell in-house to crank those babies out in under 4 hours.