93 Vipers with Rear antennas... rare? production #s?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the info I can find on this board.

Total "antenna*" Production: ?

* Early production 1993 Models have an external radio antenna mounted on the drivers-side rear fender. These early cars also have their batteries mounted in the center of the trunk, between the frame rails. The battery was only accessible through the trunk. These cars are often called "1992 carry-over cars" since they are exactly the same as 1992 model Vipers.

Just curious if anyone knows the production #s?

I see that 1992 cars sell for ALOT of money being there was only 285 made and its the first year..

Just wandering about the 1993's. Only 1043 made and not sure how many with only rear antennas.

I own an early 93 viper with the rear antenna and am curious if it is indeed a "rare" car? or for that matter is it worth more then say a later 93 94 or 95?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't imagine that this option will bring a premium over a non-rear antenna 1993. If it was a more significant entity, like the sunroof that were installed on a few 96 pace cars, that definitely would bring a premium. JMHO.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a list of the actual production numbers of all the vipers? on the specifications on this page, it doesnt even show you how many vipers were made in 94 95 or 96

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Good question as I have always wondered the same - seeing as how you (in my completely, totally unbiased opinion) have the sweetest and fastest Viper year/model EVER made!

I have the 34th produced "carry-over" 1993.

It may be worth a little more than the non-rear antenna 1993 Vipers simply for the parts value as there a numerous parts that are unique to the 1992/early 1993's. Save any and all parts that you change out.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question as I have always wondered the same - seeing as how you (in my completely, totally unbiased opinion) have the sweetest and fastest Viper year/model EVER made!

I have the 34th produced "carry-over" 1993.

It may be worth a little more than the non-rear antenna 1993 Vipers simply for the parts value as there a numerous parts that are unique to the 1992/early 1993's. Save any and all parts that you change out.

how do you know you are the 34th? im sure its in the VIN. could you explain that so I can tell mine? What parts are unique in the 92 early 93?

Edit: I see on the "build info" Mine was # 395 beacuse its 200395. It could possibly be the very LAST one made with an antenna? lol

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still doesnt show how many were produced with rear antennas. and maybe the VIN# of the last one that was made would answer that question.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At approx. build date 04/04/93 following changes occurred:
Rear antenna replaced by windshield antenna wire
Battery relocated to left rear fender (side away from fuel filler to make room for BUX rear exit exhaust)
Front caliper lettering changed from "VIPER" to "RT/10"
Reverse lockout added to transmission
Top Material Changed from Vinyl to Cloth

ah ha im getting closer! Now i have to look and see which date mine was made, and see how close it is to 4/4/93 and can figure this out more

mopar75110

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the back side of your driver's door is a white tag which among other things has a 6-digit number with the letters MDH in front of it. MDH is the month, day, and hour your Viper was built. I believe all Mopars have this tag.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
says 03/17/17

So march 17th 1993
at 5pm

but VIN#395

so they already made 395 of them by 3/17 and made changes 4/04

so looks like around 500 of them made? which is about half of the 1993's? so I guess not that rare.

UNLESS... they stopped on 3/17/93... made the changes and started building again on 4/04...

PLUS mine was made at 5pm which is when normal business hours close, meaning mine was the LAST one that day! which COULD mean i have the

"LAST OF THE FIRST VIPERS!!!!!"

lol

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I thought the VINs are not sequential?

They are on the GT2s and 1992s. There is a sequential VIN list for 1993, 1994, and 1995, but the VIN sequence doesn't match build orders (meaning 003 could have been built before 001.) In 1996 the VINs were shared with prowlers and some other DC cars so not only were they all mixed up from that point, there is absolutely no range to follow either.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the VINs are not sequential?

They are on the GT2s and 1992s. There is a sequential VIN list for 1993, 1994, and 1995, but the VIN sequence doesn't match build orders (meaning 003 could have been built before 001.) In 1996 the VINs were shared with prowlers and some other DC cars so not only were they all mixed up from that point, there is absolutely no range to follow either.

Only the GT2's were sequential VINs.... all others are mixed up, Sorry Bonk, even '92's where mixed up. Vipers are made in an order that made it easy to ship them six at a time on the same truck.

It works like this:

VINS are assigned in the sequence the orders arrive through the ordering system (more or less), then the scheduler groups the orders based on geographic area such that one truck can deliver all the cars.... then the scheduler assembles the build plan which is the final build sequence. No records are kept of the actual sequence, only the MDH's lead to clues of the build sequence.

I have all the VIN info for 93,94,95 saleable units, one of these days I'll have time to sort them out.

300 is the estimate of the '93 antenna cars

None of the GTS's run at Indy (the ones with the sunroofs) left Chrysler. All were preproduction pilot non-VINed cars. I tried to get pictures of every '96 VIN plate while at Indy, they are buried in my files somewhere. One Pilot '96 GTS did leave Chrysler, it was actually stolen. The car was sent to be destroyed, the company sent phony paperwork back to Chrysler saying it was destroyed and then snuck it off to an auction. Several lost there jobs... As far as I know, that is the only pilot car that left other than the ocasional car that was recertified for an executive.

Reaction score
None of the GTS's run at Indy (the ones with the sunroofs) left Chrysler. All were preproduction pilot non-VINed cars.

Actually serial number 10 is at the museum and it has the sunroof and all the Indy stuff on it.

[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss