94 RT/10 Engine stalls at Idle

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1994 had the EXACT same problem. Not always, but sometimes, at idle the engine would simply die. I checked all the same stuff as you, to no avail. Yes I tries synching the throttle cables, too.

I finally determined that the default throttle angle was set just a frog's hair too much in the closed position such that the time lag between between (a) the engine controller computer recognizing that the idle speed was too low and (b) the response time of the IAC was *too long*. As such, the IAC was a millisecond too slow to respond. Hence the stall. Now that I think about it, it was more prone to do this in warmer weather, AFTER the engine had warmed up.

Each throttle body has a teeny tiny set screw down near the bottom edge. This set screw is used to set the default "closed" position of the throttle body. What I did was to turn the set screw on each throttle body 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn. AND IT WORKED! My idle speed did NOT increase, I never had a problem with engine surges at idle, and THE ENGINE NEVER STALLED AGAIN!

At first I thought maybe only one side was "too closed", so I first tried the set screw on the passenger side throttle body. I opened its set screw 1/2 of a turn. This helped somewhat, but it still stalled, albeit not so often. When I did the same to the driver's side throttle body, the problem was simply gone!

Good luck; I hope this helps.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 was acting like that a couple of months ago, and my '99 Ram is doing the same thing now. A very likely cause is varnish buildup on the edges of the throttle plates. They are supposed to snap completely shut, with 100% idle airflow provided by the IAC stepper motor. Get some spray cleaner and hit the throttle plates real good.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, I have a 95 with only 2K miles and it did this a few times last year only when the car was warm.

I'm going to try Dave's instructions on the default throttle screw. Would you turn it right or left to open the throttle angle?

bfegypt, Did you try this or spraying the plates with success?

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The set screw is a gool 'old right handed thread screw. To open the throttle blades, you want to tighten the screw (i.e. clockwise). Getting *to* the *$^#& litte screw is a pain in the butt. Let's just say my needle-nose vise-grip pliers came in handy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper