"96 GTS Bucking!

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\"96 GTS Bucking!

I've had my GTS about a year. It's mostly stock, with smooth tubes, K&N's, and Sean Roe VE-1 computer regulator. Even when I set the VE-1 at 0 on both settings (factory computer settings), the car bucks at partial throttle at slow speeds. I have cleaned the injectors, and the plugs are only 6 months old, so I'm guessing it could be the fuel pump trying to give out. The fuel pump has been replaced once by a former owner. The car had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it a year ago, and now has 24,000 miles. I've tried every setting on the VE-1, including my settings from last year. The car has not been parked up all winter, as Louisiana weather has allowed me to drive it at least every couple or 3 weeks, and sometimes, daily. ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE BUCKING? Thanks.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"96 GTS Bucking!

Reggie,
Had the identical problem. Solution: Bad 02 sensor. Dealer should be able to detect easily.
DV

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Reggie;

I had a similar experience. The dealer found a small motor that has to do with the throttles (there are two) and replaced it. The dealer also re-synched the throttle cable. The instructions are available on this site in the tech section. It ran much better!

As another note; I changed the rear gears on my 98' RT to Mopar .355's. My "around town" driving was alot more fun, and the car lost alot of the "herky-jerky" feel. My 01' does not have this problem, as the factory made some changes to the cam timing for 01'.

Otherwise, you might need to put your stock computer back in and see if the problem goes away. I found out on this site that the Mopar "race controller" ecu that I had installed does indeed void my warranty. I don't want to deal with needing my Viper to be fixed for something that was not computer related in my engine and having them say no. They would have that right.

Let us know if you get it fixed.

Jim

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reggie,

Low speed bucking is almost always throttle cables out of sync. It was certainly the problem on my '96 GTS. The fix is cheap and easy, but even more importantly your out of sync cables may be preventing you from achieving full WOT! Check the tech section and re-sync them now!

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Help, I thought all GTSs had a single throttle cable and were immune from the throttle sync problem. My car is #767 and uses one cable and a solid shaft between throttle bodies. I did find that I couldn't get full throttle without elongating the cable bracket. Did early(?) GTSs use two cables? My guess is only 96 RT10s had two cables if any 96s at all.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bill - Even though the 96 GTS has a single throttle cable, the throttle bodies can still be out of sync., requiring to reset the red set screw on the shaft between the two.

Jerry Scott[CO]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry Scott[CO]:
Bill - Even though the 96 GTS has a single throttle cable, the throttle bodies can still be out of sync., requiring to reset the red set screw on the shaft between the two.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly correct, but unusual. PS all 96 GTSs had the same throttle cable.

As Cornsnake pointed out, an Idle Speed Motor (ISM) may have failed. That would be my bet.

And then the after-market part should be diagnosed as well....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456