96 RT/10 factory Alarm issue

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm seeing a strange issue, was hoping someone might know how the fix this.

Initially I suspected the batteries in my remote key fob were dying, so I replaced them w/fresh batteries.

After replacing them, I was able to enable the alarm at a far distance (even from inside the house, with the snake in the garage).

OK great, I think everythings cool, no problem.

Then a few days later, I go to take the car out to get a nice cool, refreshing shake at 11:30PM (it's hot as heck out here right now). I click the unlock button on the remote a few feet from the car, and thinking everything is ok, I open the door to enter the car, only to have the alarm go off (I'm sure my neighbors loved it).

I'm frantically trying to disable the alarm, and finally after several attempts, it does disable it, and I'm standing right next to it.

Is my remote going bonkers or ?

Thanks,
Cal

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems to me that it just didn't disarm the alarm, despite your proximity. Even with a new battery, its very common for the 1st gen alarm system to take a few tries to disarm.

As I recall, the '96 RT/10 had the same 1st gen alarm system as the '95 cars - which means no indication of disarm. Now, most people with the 1st gen alarm just get used to listening for the relay click under the dash when you press the disarm button, indicating a disarm. No click, then you try it again. If you've got top and windows on the car, well, you takes your chances, or you go ahead and put your ear up close to the open window - since you have stick your hand inside to open it up anyway.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Randy. Only thing that strikes me as odd, is that it was working fine prior to the batteries dying.

I could arm/disarm the alarm from 30 feet away, and on the first click of the appropriate button on the remote.

That's what makes me think something else is up? I see in the kick panel what appears to be the alarms antenna, which has a connector on the end that goes to nothing). I don't per se think it's an antenna issue, as arming it has a good distance, yet disarming it only happens after multiple attempts, and only from a few feet away. I'll play w/it and see if I can figure anything out.

Thanks,
Cal

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,
Perhaps the 'unlock' button switch is a little shaky, compared to the 'lock' button. Do you have another fob? Do you have door poppers?
This will give you an 'open' indication - the door will open.
Later,

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what makes me think something else is up? I see in the kick panel what appears to be the alarms antenna, which has a connector on the end that goes to nothing).
If its a green wire, thats your remote arm/disarm programming wire - and its supposed to hang there.

When you get a new remote, you ground that wire, put your tongue in your left cheek, hop on one foot, shake a rubber chicken, and do a sequence (I forget it at the moment) on the key between the accessory and off position then push the buttons on all the remotes so it (re)stores the remote identifier numbers and will listen to your remote(s).