'96 RT/10 Seat Adjustment Question

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all: Just a quick question about both seats. Does the driver's seat have more travel than the passenger's seat? Car seems to be mostly original and not boogered up over the years. The driver seat moves the normal 3-4 inches of travel, however the passenger seat only moves 1 click of the seat adjustment. I though maybe something may have gotten stuck in one of the tracks, so I removed the seat and brought it the house for a closer look. See the 4 pics below, however the seat tracks looks completely intact, and the design of the lever and notches only lends itself to adjust by one notch. There is a tab on the front of the track that prevents it from traveling any further, and the notches are at the end of their travel in the other direction, allowing for only 1 notch of travel. It's a pretty simple setup, so I don't think I missed anything. I just found it unusual that the passenger seat would only travel pretty much less than an inch in adjustment. Pics 1 and 2 show the notch adjustment(s), and pics 3 and 4 show the tab on the front stopping the travel in that one direction. No biggie either way, since I won't ever be sitting in that seat, however just want to make sure everything is correct.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve: Thanks for the reply. Yea, not sure why mine only travels 1 notch, and I can't imagine that being correct. When I removed the seat, everything looked normal underneath. I'll have to pull it out again and see if I missed anything. I ordered a 2" lowering kit which should be here in the next day or so, so when I pull the driver seat, I will compare them side by side and see if something jumps out. Appreciate the reply back.

Regards, Chris :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I was wrong...too many Vipers (and old age!!!). Our 1996 R/ T 10 passenger seat moves only about one inch. Sorry !!

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wrong...too many Vipers (and old age!!!). Our 1996 R/ T 10 passenger seat moves only about one inch. Sorry !!

Steve: Thanks again for double checking. So far, all 3 replysI have received have verified the same operation as mine.

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut off the tabs that you show in your bottom two pictures which allowed more forward seat travel for both seats

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris where did you get your seat lowering kit, and please let us know how it works out, would love to be able to drive my car with the door shut.;)

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris thanks for the info. It seems like it would put the seat all the way back to, I hope, I need all the room I can get. I was thinking of just taking the seat out completely and sitting on a pillow, that way my back would have at least 4 inches more room and be much lower and still have seat belts.

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris thanks for the info. It seems like it would put the seat all the way back to, I hope, I need all the room I can get. I was thinking of just taking the seat out completely and sitting on a pillow, that way my back would have at least 4 inches more room and be much lower and still have seat belts.

Steve: Just finished installing the kit. Since I did one a few years ago, it only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. It's such a big difference, even though it's only 2 inches. Your view out the front window is greatly improved s well. Well worth the $179.99 from Jon B. Another vendor has them for $399.95, but not sure I would have spent that much. If your thinking about it, go ahead, it's well worth it.

Regards, Chris :)

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Chris for the feed back, sounds great, That is my next job on my car, You did it fast, the seat has to come out, is that right. It will take me 20 min just to jack the car up:Dor the seat unbolts from the top and I do not have to jack it up. Happy Easter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Chris for the feed back, sounds great, That is my next job on my car, You did it fast, the seat has to come out, is that right. It will take me 20 min just to jack the car up:Dor the seat unbolts from the top and I do not have to jack it up. Happy Easter.

No jacking necessary. They come out from the top. It's pretty straight forward once you get started. Call me if you need apoint of reference when you are doing it (610) 360-5836.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molgera