A/C Removal and weight savings?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just putting this out there because im curious but does anyone know how big a task it is to remove the A/C unit and all its stuff on a GenIII.

Second how much weight is saved by doing this?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can let you know what a gen 1 compressor weighs when I get home, but I'm not sure that will help you much.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A gen 3 coupe without a/c. Hope you like it hot. Fairly easy to remove but it's all alum so I don't think you'll save 25# total plus re routing the serpentine may be difficult. Good luck

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any significant increase in the ability of the radiator to cool without the condensor on a dedicated track car? 25 pounds would not be enough to convince me to give up the A/C on anyhing but a dedicated track car, and if there is better cooling that would be an added bonus.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No big advantage to giving up A/C on a street car. But my RT/10's A/C has been unworking for about 5 years now. I miss it but apparently not enough to fix it.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm compiling a list on my site. It's all GenII but it will give you an idea.
http://www.babelmotorsports.com/Viper_Parts_Specifications.aspx

Compressor 14.2 lbs
Condensor 8.8 lbs
Filter Dryer 1.55 lbs

Include the lines and it's over 25 lbs.

Thanks:2tu: that gives me some idea of what kind of weight there is. Not something im looking to do unless I turn this car into a track car only.

Saying that though I hardly ever drive the car but on track anymore. It's just boring for me on the street, I don't need the thumbs up, stares, photos, ricer envy etc. that come with a flashy car. So I think I need to buy another Viper so I can make the one I have a track car or buy an ACR-X and return my current one to a street only version. Its that darn money thing! I need more of it:D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks:2tu: that gives me some idea of what kind of weight there is. Not something im looking to do unless I turn this car into a track car only.

Saying that though I hardly ever drive the car but on track anymore. It's just boring for me on the street, I don't need the thumbs up, stares, photos, ricer envy etc. that come with a flashy car. So I think I need to buy another Viper so I can make the one I have a track car or buy an ACR-X and return my current one to a street only version. Its that darn money thing! I need more of it:D

Leave the stocker alone, sell it and go with the ACR-X. You'll miss out on the fun of building a dedicated tracker yourself but the ACR-X is worth it, if you can afford it.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any significant increase in the ability of the radiator to cool without the condensor on a dedicated track car? 25 pounds would not be enough to convince me to give up the A/C on anyhing but a dedicated track car, and if there is better cooling that would be an added bonus.

I have a gen I and it started to run cooler after the A/C leaked out. :) I think if I were to remove the condenser it will run even cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper