A/S Run-Flats on an '08?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question:

If you were going to keep a new '08 in a colder climate (similar to Denver), would you consider using the '03-'06 run-craps? The '08 tires clearly state that they should not be driven in near-freezing road temps, which might rule out 5-6 months of the year, especially in the mornings or evenings. :rolleyes:

... and I have noticed a few cold-tire traction-related issues with the new tires posted here.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I personally think that the run-flats that came on our 03 were "risky" on a dry road with the ambient below 60 F.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live near Denver and drive mine w/ PS2's in below freezing temps and have had no problems. But I also am not mashing on the gas and taking turns at high speeds in those conditions either. I think it is all in how you drive it.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they even still make/sell the Pilot Sport tires in the Viper sizes? I don't see them on TireRack.

Last edited:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live near Denver and drive mine w/ PS2's in below freezing temps and have had no problems. But I also am not mashing on the gas and taking turns at high speeds in those conditions either. I think it is all in how you drive it.

Same her in CT during the winter. run flats are crap in the summer let alone the winter.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Drive carefully in cold conditions. Stay away from snow and ice at all times.

qtr_mile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The question might be moot since the run-flats (at least the rear tires) cannot be had -- at least not now.

As of 5/27/08:
Although Michelin has a backlog of 360 rear tire viper run-flats, they have made no commitment to produce more -- at least thru July 1st. And would make no promise that they would ever produce the tire -- at least they would not commit to me. And even if they eventually produce more starting July, add 3-4 weeks for "curing" time, then filling the current backlog, and it might be August or September at the very earliest before they become available for new customers. They were extremely non-committal which is the posture any manufacturer should take if they are going soft on supporting the low volume business. I guess if somebody ordered a billion of these tires they would produce them next week. I should be a very profitable tire to produce in significant volumes.

In the meantime with no "expected delivery date" Tire Rack has removed them from their web site (i.e. no original equipment tires run-flats will show up for a Viper '03 - Viper '06). Only the PS2 tires will show up when you select any tire (i.e. same PS2's as for the Viper'08 original equipment tires).

The Tire Rack customer service person acknowledges that the tire has NOT been discontinued but when they pull it from their web site selection I really wonder if they have some inside information they cannot share with the public. You can still call them and place an order for the tire with no expected delivery date.

FYI...

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made the mistake anyway of thinking the run-flats were 'All Season' due to the look of the tread pattern. I didn't realize they were summer tires just like the PS2s. So case closed, now I see there is no benefit to the run-flats...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Tire Rack customer service person acknowledges that the tire has NOT been discontinued but when they pull it from their web site selection I really wonder if they have some inside information they cannot share with the public. You can still call them and place an order for the tire with no expected delivery date.

There is no reason for Tire Tack to stock run crap tires as 99% of viper owners know they are next to worthless! Run Michelin PS2 and never look back.