ACR – Shocking Black Hole

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B ROCKS!

About a month ago I put together a Viper event in Calgary. Everything went well, but on the road portion of our event I ‘blew’ a rear shock on my ACR. I did the rest of the event in my Miata – sad.:(

I went to my local dealer (that I can strongly recommend! – Renfrew Chrysler in Calgary) to get a new shock. Unfortunately it took more than a week to find a part number for the shock. The ‘normal’ shock is easy to find. The ACR shock, very hard to find. Jon B found all the information I needed though.

Unfortunately there were zero shocks available. None. Zero units in parts inventory. At the recommendation of the dealer, I spoke with Chrysler Canada directly.

Well, Chrysler told me that they would have the shock on September 23rd (at the earliest) – more than 3 months away! :omg: This would park my car for the entire summer. I’d also miss VOI 11. So I called Jon at Parts Rack. He’s been my ‘go to’ guy before so I knew he was the guy to help. And was he!

Jon got the posse rounded up and through his many, many contacts managed to find me a used shock. It turns out there’s a shock angel in Texas named Richard. He sent a used shock the very next day. Richard – thank you very, very much.:headbang:

BUT! Even before the shock from Texas arrived a new shock arrived at the dealership!? Huh?:confused: This is the shock that was scheduled to arrive in late Sept. or early Oct.! The dealer has no idea how, or even where the shock came from. But I know – it came from one of Jon’s many contacts. He pulled the strings that made it happen. I’d like to thank the unknown people that ‘gave me my car back’. Thank you. Of course I need to give a special thanks to Jon for making it all happen.

Jon is THE MAN!

I’m amazed that Dodge doesn’t have any inventory for a replacement shock, but I’m delighted that there are people out there that are kind enough to send a spare that they have on a moment’s notice. It’s also reassuring that even if the ‘system’ can’t find what you need, that there’s folks that know how and where to make things happen. I guess ultimately it came out of the Chrysler system so I’m glad that whomever Jon talked to was able to grease the wheels.

Jon, thank you. A summer without my ACR would’ve been a sad time indeed.

Greg Phillips

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg:

I never asked, but do you know what caused the shock that came on the car originally to go out?

Richard

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg:

I never asked, but do you know what caused the shock that came on the car originally to go out?

Richard

I don't know.

-BUT-

We did drive a fairly bumpy road into the Rocky Mountains. The route we took was from Calgary to Canmore on Hwy 1A. It's the fun, twisty route but it has become fairly bumpy over the years. I never bottomed the car out though. Not once. There's no reason why the shock should've failed. There were (7?) other Vipers that did the same route at basically the same speed and I had the only failure.

I think the biggest surprise is where the shock failed. It leaked where the fork joins the bottom of the shock, not where the shaft passes through the top seal. Surprising.

I'm not familiar with this style of shock construction but that's where it leaked from.

Greg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a similar story with headgaskets. Chrysler said maybe one in Montreal and one in Toronto - maybe.

I called JonB and he airfreighted it to YVR and I had Pacific Coastal fly it to me. When I drove to Jon's and bought a Stealth TT (Jon's 2nd fav car) he showed me a 12" high stack of Gen 2 headgaskets! Jon also sold me intake gaksets and GAVE me a set of exhaust. I think that Chrylser buys their parts from Jon, lol?

That was 2 weeks before VOI X. Sean Roe "lent" me his Vec 2/3 as he sent mine out for repairs and I had that in a week as well. We are priviledged with people and vendors like this that help the VCA and members like this. I have mostly cancelled all my holidays except the ones that coincide with Viper Club events.

Thanks JonB. You're the man.

Ted

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but was the new dealer-supplied one covered under warranty?

I LOVE Chrysler! Kudo's to Renfrew Chrysler in Calgary!

Does that answer your question?

Greg

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me you sent the used shock back to Richard, at least!

That is a great story. Glad to see owners helping out owners.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard will get his shock back pretty quick. I'll be at the track until about midnight (same as last night) but I plan on mailing it out tomorrow.

Richard - what a great guy!

Greg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad you are back On Track, and thanks for the extremely kind writeup. BUT:

I know what its like to grounded, unable to drive your ACR. This is one of those KARMA deals where I was actually priviliged to help, because I was reminded that I have a GREAT job, some Fantastic customers, and a committed manufacturer. We are all passionate about a GREAT SPORTS CAR and an equally devoted TEAM SRT. "What A Company" we keep in Chrysler-Dodge-SRT.

Richard S...what a generous guy. But majority Thanks must go to Team SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave