Advise on Hardtop Gen1

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hardtop for my 94 RT.
I have the soft top and have never installed it. I also have one factory hard top that i have installed once...what a hassle.
What top has been a favorite? is it A.P. Engineering, Inc.?
I looked at the site. and the 3 piece looks good. but does it install easy and is it water tight? What does the lining look like? does the vent make a difference?do the windows they sale work well with it? how do you open the door when windows and top are on? can one person install the 3 piece top? Does the install of the windows hardware change the appearance of the door top when the window are not in use? is the any drilling or cutting to be done? as i do not want to ruin the original door. should they paint it or should i trust a local shop to match the color? any help are advice would be appreciated. I would like to hear any negative reasons to go this way too if any.
thanks

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting the makers directly? Quite a few of your questions are answered on the site, and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer whatever the site doesn't.

To access the car from the exterior you "press flush mounted button to reveal latch control and open window. Linkage swings windows away and back to reveal a large opening for door operation, toll booths, drive thru windows, and bank canisters." This is for the drivers side only and isn't for use when the car is moving. Here are pics of the operation of the button:

You must be registered for see images

According to the site, the windows seal to the top. "For gen 1 cars, custom fit windows are required for proper fit, sealing and look. Our exclusive window is made for this top only and is made from tempered curved, tinted automotive safety glass for a quality feel."

The lining is carpet, and pics of it are here:

Quite a bit of info on how it mounts and seals can be found here:
Interior

I found all of this information on their site. The more specific questions you may want to ask them directly. I hope this helps!

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jason for the links ,i did not see that page. It does help and did answer some questions. but i would like input from owners of the system ...Nothing like hands on experience, before contacting the Salesman.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hardtop for my 94 RT.
I have the soft top and have never installed it. I also have one factory hard top that i have installed once...what a hassle.
What top has been a favorite? is it A.P. Engineering, Inc.?
I looked at the site. and the 3 piece looks good. but does it install easy and is it water tight? YES! What does the lining look like? BLACK CARPET does the vent make a difference? MINE DOES NOT HAVE THE VENT. do the windows they sale work well with it? how do you open the door when windows and top are on? can one person install the 3 piece top? YES. Does the install of the windows hardware change the appearance of the door top when the window are not in use? NOT SIGNIFICANTLY THAT I CAN TELL. is the any drilling or cutting to be done? as i do not want to ruin the original door. THAT I DO NOT KNOW AS I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR AND IT ALREADY HAD THE SYSTEM INSTALLED. should they paint it or should i trust a local shop to match the color? I WOULD HAVE THEM PAINT IT, BUT THAT IS A TOUGH QUESTION. any help are advice would be appreciated. I would like to hear any negative reasons to go this way too if any.
thanks

See my responses in CAPS above. I love mine and it looks great on the car. The only problem is the lack of head room, so if you are tall you may have to lower the seat. The one I have is a first generation window that does not open and I still like it. I called and they are going to convert my window for $75 so it will open. They sound like real nice people.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff (the maker of the top), is awesome! I have been trying for 3 years to buy Jeff's top and show it off to the Texas folks...

His is the only top that runs flush with the sports bar.

Jeff also sells a one peice...that is the one I am hopefully going to get.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Autoform top looks really good; it almost gives the RT the GTS curves. It's got arms that run along the windshield pillars. If you haven't seen it, here it is:

Here is a link to their site:
Autoform Group - Home

The advantage of Jeff's top is that the 3-piece fits in your trunk, whereas no other hard top (that I know of anyway) can. I personally like the look of the Trunktop better (lower profile, mirrors body angles), and the fact that you can stow it away for inclement weather seals the deal! Now, if only I had $3k laying around...

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, the Auto form does look great but i would like to have a top that i can take on and off if need be.
the weather can change so fast here in Missouri. I prefer to run with the top off but if we hit rain i want to protect my car
as for height...i think any top will be ok as i am only 5'10"
I just want a easy on and off top that is water tight and will not have to drill or cut anything on the car. I wish the AP site had better pics of the window mechanism and how it mounts on to the door. not having a good and easy top has kept me from venturing very far from home.
George...does your top leak at all? and if you dont have the windows in...how much wind does it cut out of the cab?

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, the Auto form does look great but i would like to have a top that i can take on and off if need be.
the weather can change so fast here in Missouri. I prefer to run with the top off but if we hit rain i want to protect my car
as for height...i think any top will be ok as i am only 5'10"
I just want a easy on and off top that is water tight and will not have to drill or cut anything on the car. I wish the AP site had better pics of the window mechanism and how it mounts on to the door. not having a good and easy top has kept me from venturing very far from home.
George...does your top leak at all? and if you dont have the windows in...how much wind does it cut out of the cab?

Two things... The way the window mechanism works has changed and the pictures on the website are the old method. Apparently, they have improved it and the window actually flips out (down I think). I would talk to him about that as I cannot remember it well. I have not had the car long enough to tell if it leaks, but the wind noise (and squeaks) were much less than a similar Viper I drove with the one-piece (bubble-looking) hardtop. I am sending my drivers side window off in the next week to have him install the new system so mine can move as it is only stationary right now as I mentioned in my first post. I really like the idea of being able to store it in the trunk and get it out if I need it! Good luck.:)

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harlyman,

At 5'10" you will be just fine for height inside the 3 piece top. If you are more than 6' 1" or going to be wearing a helmet the Autoform top might be more of what your after. A good reference for fit is the soft top. If you fit in that, you'll fit in the 3 piece.

There are no modifications to the car so it will remain completely stock, everything bolts into place. Once set up, one person can easily put the top on or take it off in about a minute. It takes longer to slide them into storage bags and place them in the trunk than the actual operation. Everything appears stock when removed.

The recent changes to the top are such: There is no longer a carpet headliner but a true automotive headliner than spans the entire surface of the 3 panels. Most of the interior hardware has been reduced in size and covered. There is a new clip system for the quick change sport bar conversion and it helps mount it to the car in a much tighter fashion than before. The Drivers side window does not slide rearward like shown on the website, but has a much more simple mechanism that allows the window to tilt outward.

The sealing ability of the top varies from car to car. The unfortunate reality for a flush to sport bar design is that the dimension from windshield header to sport bar can vary up to 1/2"! This makes it tough to build a consistant product. However, the top has adjustments everywhere to make it fit each individual car as much as possible. Some cars may end up with a leak or drip, and some cars seal up just fine.

All 3 piece tops have the scoop in the design. The fuctional scoop is an extra cost option that I never really recommend to people. It allows very little airflow to the cockpit and adds a potential area for leaks.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, can the window(s) lock? I'd like the car to be secure when leaving it parked.

I also assume the windows can be used w/o the top in place, true?

~Thanks,
Craig

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harlyman,

At 5'10" you will be just fine for height inside the 3 piece top. If you are more than 6' 1" or going to be wearing a helmet the Autoform top might be more of what your after. A good reference for fit is the soft top. If you fit in that, you'll fit in the 3 piece.

There are no modifications to the car so it will remain completely stock, everything bolts into place. Once set up, one person can easily put the top on or take it off in about a minute. It takes longer to slide them into storage bags and place them in the trunk than the actual operation. Everything appears stock when removed.

The recent changes to the top are such: There is no longer a carpet headliner but a true automotive headliner than spans the entire surface of the 3 panels. Most of the interior hardware has been reduced in size and covered. There is a new clip system for the quick change sport bar conversion and it helps mount it to the car in a much tighter fashion than before. The Drivers side window does not slide rearward like shown on the website, but has a much more simple mechanism that allows the window to tilt outward.

The sealing ability of the top varies from car to car. The unfortunate reality for a flush to sport bar design is that the dimension from windshield header to sport bar can vary up to 1/2"! This makes it tough to build a consistant product. However, the top has adjustments everywhere to make it fit each individual car as much as possible. Some cars may end up with a leak or drip, and some cars seal up just fine.

All 3 piece tops have the scoop in the design. The fuctional scoop is an extra cost option that I never really recommend to people. It allows very little airflow to the cockpit and adds a potential area for leaks.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff,
Can I get the new headliner to fit my older top as I keep banging my head on one of the metal pieces that form the connections between the tops? Thanks.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, can the window(s) lock? I'd like the car to be secure when leaving it parked.

I also assume the windows can be used w/o the top in place, true?

~Thanks,
Craig

You can purchase a lockable button but it is not as attractive as the flush mount button that comes standard. It sticks out all of the time.

Yes, the windows can be used without the top.

Jeff

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,
Can I get the new headliner to fit my older top as I keep banging my head on one of the metal pieces that form the connections between the tops? Thanks.

You would have to send it back for an update. Give me a call when your ready.

Jeff

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just waitin' on tax refund time, Jon. I know this is a stretch, but do you happen to offer the VCA discount on the 3-piece top? From a loyal customer:D
~Craig...

ABSOLUTELY ! And an extra $25 (off) if you are VENOM.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting the makers directly? Quite a few of your questions are answered on the site, and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer whatever the site doesn't.

To access the car from the exterior you "press flush mounted button to reveal latch control and open window. Linkage swings windows away and back to reveal a large opening for door operation, toll booths, drive thru windows, and bank canisters." This is for the drivers side only and isn't for use when the car is moving. Here are pics of the operation of the button:

According to the site, the windows seal to the top. "For gen 1 cars, custom fit windows are required for proper fit, sealing and look. Our exclusive window is made for this top only and is made from tempered curved, tinted automotive safety glass for a quality feel."

The lining is carpet, and pics of it are here:

Quite a bit of info on how it mounts and seals can be found here:
Interior

I found all of this information on their site. The more specific questions you may want to ask them directly. I hope this helps!

I just went from soft to hard top cause i found the factry soft wears overtime.Also curiouse and not to jump on the thread but those hard windows can i get them for the 94 rt

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the look of the Trunk Top:2tu: That would be my number 1 choice if I was in the market for a new top. For now I am stuck with the Mopar Top.

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Harlyman,
The recent changes to the top are such: There is no longer a carpet headliner but a true automotive headliner than spans the entire surface of the 3 panels. Most of the interior hardware has been reduced in size and covered. There is a new clip system for the quick change sport bar conversion and it helps mount it to the car in a much tighter fashion than before.
Jeff

Hi Jeff, do you have updated pictures?

Much

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Jeff, do you have updated pictures?

I think the Windows would look cleaner without the buttons (rivets) on the outside, like the new vipermania windows .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62