Alignment specs, nice balance?

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to button up my suspension, get it 4-corner balanced and then aligned. (I’m on ACR shocks, 800lbs springs in rear, new PS2s 335r/295f, 18”, stock sways)

I searched the forum for a good setup for aggressive street driving. Wear on tires is not a huge concern since I don’t drive that many miles every year (I rather have nicer and more stable grip and replace my tires due to wear-with-a-grin after a few years than replacing them because they are dry and old..) At the same time, don’t want to run full-out race specs either, since that surely would mean replacing my tires after 1,000 miles.

So, where is the balance.. Nice and stable at higher speed, aggressive stance, and of course nice cornering without losing break performance.. all without “excessive wear” (e.g., new tires every 1,000 instead of, say 15,000).

Here’s my guess, give me your thoughts!
Front:
Caster: +6 deg (stock)
Camber: - 1 deg
Toe-in: 0.04 deg (per wheel)

Rear
Caster: +1 deg (stock)
Camber -3/4 deg
Toe-in: 0.07 deg (per wheel)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
T
H
E

Y
E
A
R

M
A
T
T
E
R
S

A
N
D

I
N

S
O
M
E

Y
E
A
R
S

T
H
E

M
O
D
E
L

M
A
T
T
E
R
S

If we ASSume you have a 96 GTS, not RT, then your baseline figs are a conservative start since you have a suspension upgrade of SOME KIND of ACr shock (there were 2 in G 2)

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thats funny Jon B, I'll be calling you soon need some stuff for my 97' B/W GTS before spring gets here. :)

OP
OP
B

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha ha.. Nicely said!

Thought BW96snake gave it away but you're right, that doesn't limit it to a GTS... I should have said: This is for a 96 GTS, oh.. it's for a Dodge Viper, 1996 GTS! ;)

My ACR shocks are Dynamics, will that have an impact on the alignment specs compared to Koni ACRs?

You say conservative.. Does that mean I can dial it in a little more aggressively, get better stability and traction without chewing up my tires driving around the block? (let's say, see an uneven wear within 1-2k miles)

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the street tires last more than two years, your alignment isn't agressive enough.

Based on the miles of a typical user I suspect most tires get old before they get worn out.

OP
OP
B

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that is aggressive! 2 years for me is about 2,000 miles..

I think I would like to get 5-6 years/5-6,000 miles at the very least before I experience excessive/uneven tire wear.

I do agree with you about tires getting old before wearing out. My previous had more than 1/2 left in them but they were rock hard!

If the street tires last more than two years, your alignment isn't agressive enough.

Based on the miles of a typical user I suspect most tires get old before they get worn out.