Almost crashed tonight...

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wife forgot her phone at work and wanted to go get it so I thought hey nice night to go for a cruise. We took a scenic road by the river to downtown. I wasn't speeding or anything but a F#$%@%&^@&'ing deer jumped out about 15 feet in front of me, straight out of the woods, nothing I could do but stand on the brakes as hard as possible. Wow, that was fun, guess I didn't realize how spoiled i've been always having abs :rolleyes: Car was a little sideways and the tires were rolling smoke and I missed the deer by inches, and I am not exaggerating even a tiny bit. I was pretty shaken up, damn I hate when deer do that $hit, no warning, nothing, just in a split second out in front of you, be careful on those scenic roads guys.

So after that I decide to continue on to downtown to get her phone and as luck would have it this night I get caught at a red light with a bum and a sign. I always want to help those less fortunate than me and even give money to people that seem to have good hearts, but this guy was a straight up dirt bag. I got hurled insults b/c of the car I was driving I'm sure, it went something like this:

He sees me pull up, eyes get real big and then: "What the F$#ck!!! Hey why don't you give me some money!! You buy me a Fu$#%#'n cheeseburger or something you can afford it..." and on until the light turned green. Normally I feel bad for these kind of people, but this guy was a first class **** bag IMO.

All I could do is look at my wife and laugh and say "see this is why you don't forget your phone at work" ;) Anyway just wanted to vent I guess thanks for listening...

By the way, is there any damage I can do to the tires locking them up like that? I checked them once we got home and I didnt see or feel any flat spots while driving or anything but thought I'd ask as I wasn't sure, thanks.

Last edited:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you missed the deer. That would have sucked big time.

You should have bought the cheeseburger ;)

Satchmo72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, is there any damage I can do to the tires locking them up like that? I checked them once we got home and I don't see or feel any flat spots or anything but thought I'd ask as I wasn't sure, thanks.

I would check your seat. :)

Glad it was an "almost crashed" and not a "crashed"

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insulting and taunting your benefactor, not a great success-strategy for a panhandler eh?

Glad everything worked out.....I would imagine your tires are fine; skidding for 15 feet won't flat-spot a street tire.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insulting and taunting your benefactor, not a great success-strategy for a panhandler eh?

Glad everything worked out.....I would imagine your tires are fine; skidding for 15 feet won't flat-spot a street tire.

Thanks, I just was worried bc I smelled the tires burning and saw the smoke, never happened to me before I guess bc of abs...

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're ok. Happy ending at least.
Same thing happened to me on a motorcycle years ago. I was afraid to ride scenic roads all summer. :D

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
skidding for 15 feet won't flat-spot a street tire.

6 years ago or so I had a panic stop from around 30 - 40 mph, smoked the front tires when locking them up for about 15 to 20 feet on concrete.. immediately felt the thump thump thump driving afterwards... felt like driving over gaps on an interstate highway.

You must be registered for see images

Depth difference at the flat part of the tread..
You must be registered for see images

Glad you didn't hit the deer, those panic situations can sure wake you up in a hurry!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats up with all the deer running in this hot hot weather? i never used to see this, or was i not paying attention, anyone?????

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are OK.

Here's a little story about pan handlers. I used to live in Spokane, WA and I used to give they guys beggin a couple bucks or something . Then I did some volunteer work at one of the local shelters. It was an eye opener. They would not only shelter and feed anyone who needed help, they would also help them with getting jobs, rehab, counceling.... you get the idea. The part that blew me away was they were NEVER full. The only requirement was they had to be alcahol and drug free. After that, I carried around buisness cards for the shelter. If I saw anyone on the side of the road, I would give them a card and say there is always a place for you there. They would usually just throw the card on the street, but I don't feel bad for these guys anymore.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you are OK.

Here's a little story about pan handlers. I used to live in Spokane, WA and I used to give they guys beggin a couple bucks or something . Then I did some volunteer work at one of the local shelters. It was an eye opener. They would not only shelter and feed anyone who needed help, they would also help them with getting jobs, rehab, counceling.... you get the idea. The part that blew me away was they were NEVER full. The only requirement was they had to be alcahol and drug free. After that, I carried around buisness cards for the shelter. If I saw anyone on the side of the road, I would give them a card and say there is always a place for you there. They would usually just throw the card on the street, but I don't feel bad for these guys anymore.

Interesting.

So how did the evening end?

Ok I guess, I detailed the Viper today and took it for a ride to see if I felt any flat spotting. I cruised at various speeds from a slow crawl in neutral up to high speeds and pushed in the clutch so I could just coast and listen and feel for anything. Everything seems normal, no "thump, thump, thump" sounds or anything, absolutely no feedback in the steering wheel either so I guess I just got by with the skin of my teeth. I revisited the spot and looked at the skid marks, the drivers side was longer by about a 1/3, it was on a fairly busy road so I could not get out and pace it off or anything, but looks like about 15-25 feet, I'm still pissed &$?&?$&?$? deer!!! So if I dont feel anything or hear anything I'm good to go right or do I need to pop the fronts off and have them checked by a shop? Thanks for all the replies.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I dont feel anything or hear anything I'm good to go right or do I need to pop the fronts off and have them checked by a shop? Thanks for all the replies.

I suppose you could take 'em in and have checked with a depth gauge and then spin balanced... won't set ya back much and gives you peace of mind.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats up with all the deer running in this hot hot weather? i never used to see this, or was i not paying attention, anyone?????

We're getting more deer down here. Florida deer aren't as big as northern deer but they'll go through a windshield just as easily. I wonder what the motorists death toll is before hunters are allowed to thin the herd.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would have surely flatspotted the tires if your car didn't have ABS. You probably still lost some rubber but with ABS it was distributed around the circumfrence of the tires instead of just one place. This is just one advantage '01 and newer Vipers have over the older Vipers without ABS.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing :eater:- those "panhandlers" with signs are in just about every large city in the country. Tulsa probably has at least a dozen or two "working" the city's intersections at any one time, day in and day out, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That is the "profession" of a high percentage of them. They can "earn" $35,000 or more a year (TAX FREE) doing this:omg:, plus they will apply for and get food stamps and God knows what else from the government (comes out of the taxes you and I pay):mad:. Some of them have mental problems and are actually homeless (many by their own choice), but also, many do have a decent home and a decent car (parked nearby) and a cellphone and a family (not dressed in rags). All of them rely on people feeling guilty for "making it" and pitying them by thinking this "poor soul" "has nothing":rolleyes:. Many of them, if not most, feel they are owed a living and THEY CHOOSE NOT TO WORK and pay taxes:mad:, and they don't have to as long as the pickings are easy. As you found out, they can be quite nasty (sometimes violent) when they are not rewarded with what they want. THEY ARE PARASITES!!! Reward them if you want to (enough people seem to - so they don't go away to facilities designed to aid them, and or find them a job). Psychologists have a term for this rewarding, its called ENABLING! :nono:This November you will have this kind of choice to make again - for the future of your country!!!! Again - IT'S YOUR CHOICE. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You would have surely flatspotted the tires if your car didn't have ABS. You probably still lost some rubber but with ABS it was distributed around the circumfrence of the tires instead of just one place. This is just one advantage '01 and newer Vipers have over the older Vipers without ABS.

I have a 94 no abs but since I don't notice anything I'm going to try not to worry about it unless I start hearing or feeling something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth