Aluminum Flywheel Question

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done some research before posting this thread but from all the indecision on this issue I am still unsure about Aluminum Flywheels. Perhaps a question more tailored to my specific needs will be able to get me an answer.

First off, I am having some mods done to my car:

Corsa Track Exhaust
Belanger Headers
Randomtech Non-Ceramic High Flow Cats
3.55 Gears
Smooth Tubes and Filters

I pretty much want increased sound as well as more bottom end torque. I absolutely love bottom end torque. This is why I am going the 3.55 gears as well as the exhaust.

Now will an Aluminum Flywheel help increase bottom end performance and response? Some previous threads I have read people say there is a noticeable difference, other people say there is no difference, and finally other people don't recommend them and believe they are detrimental. I would think that since there is less rotating mass there should be more response, but I am pretty much clueless and not sure about this.

With work and all I just don't have the time to track the car. I pretty much like to cruise around and occasionally drag at stop lights. ;) So my question is, in my case, will it be beneficial to install the Aluminum Flywheel? My snake only has 1300 miles on it, so it is not like the tech will be in that area to install a new clutch or anything.

Thanks in advance!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read ALL the posts on this just like you (and it was NO help at all) so I just decided to give it a shot and I LOVE IT, I just got the car back from Chuck on tues and have been driving it ever since.

the car pulls 10X harder and the Rpm's rise alot quicker.

Hands down one of my favorite mods to the car so if I have a vote I'd say go for it.

1 downside, is parking lot speeds the car wants to GOOOOOO so you'll need to get used to it, at first you will either go too fast for where you are or buck the car because of low Rpms, you just need to find a happy medium.

Good luck.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
aluminum flywheel with 3.55's...wonder what parking lot speeds would be in that case?

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Aluminum flywheel does require getting use to, but once you do you will love it.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STUGOTS, man now i'm second guessing weather i should get the aluminum flywheel. I wanted it at first then a few member said they didnt feel a thing and some of them had a problem with the stop and go driving? Do you use your like a daily driver? So is it worth it, as you know i have the same car except mine is black. I have to make a decision soon. DC performance is already taking the tranny out to swap it under warranty so the labor will be pretty cheap..... I'm confused :( HELP?????
Although i am going to get a Roe SC in about 4 months....

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STUGOTS, man now i'm second guessing weather i should get the aluminum flywheel. I wanted it at first then a few member said they didnt feel a thing and some of them had a problem with the stop and go driving? Do you use your like a daily driver? So is it worth it, as you know i have the same car except mine is black. I have to make a decision soon. DC performance is already taking the tranny out to swap it under warranty so the labor will be pretty cheap..... I'm confused :( HELP?????
Although i am going to get a Roe SC in about 4 months....

Im going with the Roe pretty soon myself and and I asked Sean that same question and he told me it makes the blower expirence 100x better WITH it (which is one of the reasons it sold me).

Stop and go driving is not bad ONCE you get used to it (at the maximum of 1 day you will).

no I don't use it as a daily HOWEVER since the flywheel upgrade I just get so much more joy out of the car its been my daily for this week lol.

The best way I can describe it is it feel like it lets the car use all the power it has, feels like it wakes her up big time. I LOVE IT. IMO one of the best bang for the buck mods Ive done to my car the other being the Vec 2.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay I liked it so much I called to get one for my stang, but felt like an idiot since I have an auto and they dont have flywheels (I dident know that lol)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used fidenza that I am willing to let go for $300, I orignally paid 475 for it from Archer Racing.

I swapped it back to stock, because my VIPER TECH told me it was the reason I was getting check engine light... which was not true, lol, becasue I am still getting them. But now HE has to do work, so I dont really care.

Its gonna be a while before I need to change the clutch again, so no reason to leave it laying around, if someone wants it.

Jon

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt absolutely no difference in either race car with the Fidanza as compared to stock. Stugots must have some super duper flywheel to feel 10X's the pull. If you have the clutch out already and you want to add another mod to your sig line then I say go for it, for if you don't then you'll regret it everytime you read a post about a car pulling 10X's as much as stock. As far as measured performance on a race track the mod is a waste of money but perhaps for the street or parking lot it's a different story :)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt absolutely no difference in either race car with the Fidanza as compared to stock. Stugots must have some super duper flywheel to feel 10X's the pull. If you have the clutch out already and you want to add another mod to your sig line then I say go for it, for if you don't then you'll regret it everytime you read a post about a car pulling 10X's as much as stock. As far as measured performance on a race track the mod is a waste of money but perhaps for the street or parking lot it's a different story :)

actually I have the Fidanza as well. 17.5 lbs, which is almost half the weight of stock.

BTW 10x was just a figure of speech.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both the 3.55s and the Fidanza flywheel installed at the same time. I am very happy with the result. There was no significant adverse effect on drivability and it didn't take any time to get used to.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both the 3.55s and the Fidanza flywheel installed at the same time. I am very happy with the result. There was no significant adverse effect on drivability and it didn't take any time to get used to.

But what were the advantages of the aluminum flywheel? For someone like me who is not going to track the car, just occasionally drag at stop lights and cruise around, is it worth it? More importantly, will it be beneficial? I have read on here that drag racers prefer the stock flywheel over the aluminum flywheel. They believe that it helps to get a better launch off the line. Is this so? I ordered everything but the aluminum flywheel since I am still deciding upon it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While searching this subject, I carefully read over those links. Thanks anyways for posting them. :2tu: It seems for as many of those that think it is beneficial there are as many who believe it does nothing or is detrimental. If I was getting a clutch installed or something I would just simply buy it. Problem is the mods I will be doing, exhaust, headers, high-flow cats, and 3.55's, have nothing really to do in that area. There would be a lot of labor and disassembly for just that one part. Therefore, I am trying to determine if it is really worth it or not for my particular purpose.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm????? I heard that if you run the car hard and if you drag race it alot that theres a chance it can warp the aluminum flywheel? Is this true? AHHHH i don't know what to do......

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm????? I heard that if you run the car hard and if you drag race it alot that theres a chance it can warp the aluminum flywheel? Is this true? AHHHH i don't know what to do......

I heard something about that. This is what PartsRack states about the aluminum flywheel they sell:

"Comes factory balanced, and employs heli-coiled bolt holes, and non-warping pucks. By far our best FW value. Other aluminum flywheels are not balanced from the factory - they can and do warp when frequently drag raced.

Just seems that no one is really in agreement of its effectiveness in a Viper. I guess I just go with this for now:

You must be registered for see images

It might now add as much power as STUGOTS' super duper pad, but it should make up for the flywheel. ;)

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read all the other threads and I have no idea what to do?? I'm going to drive the car HARD, like it should be driven, thats how i drive. Meaning i'm sure i will get into street races quite often and take it to the track every once in a while. I'm going to be getting on it ALOT, yah i'll be crusing but mostly crusing for prey( like vettes, mustangs,cameros etc etc oh and women LOL) so do you think by driving it hard like this it could warp easily? Or should i just forget about it since i'm getting a ROE SC?....

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going with a blower with gears soon, skip the flywheel. The car will spool up to quick, that is according to Chuck Tator. With the 3.07s and blower the lighter flywheel will be good...00PROWLER...

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For street use The gears are fine. The car pulls hard in fifth gear, pinned in your seat at 150!! The car revs like a 2 stroke. Yes you have to finesse first and second, but it makes it more challenging and fun to drive. I have 620 RWHP and love my 3.55s. Sean Roe has them in his,nuff said :D ...00PROWLER...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm?????

You must be registered for see images

It might now add as much power as STUGOTS' super duper pad, but it should make up for the flywheel. ;)

lol bastage

my "super" will make alot more sense when I get my blower lol

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read ALL the posts on this just like you (and it was NO help at all) so I just decided to give it a shot and I LOVE IT, I just got the car back from Chuck on tues and have been driving it ever since.

the car pulls 10X harder and the Rpm's rise alot quicker.

Hands down one of my favorite mods to the car so if I have a vote I'd say go for it.

1 downside, is parking lot speeds the car wants to GOOOOOO so you'll need to get used to it, at first you will either go too fast for where you are or buck the car because of low Rpms, you just need to find a happy medium.

Good luck.

I have read all about the Aluminum flywheel and 3.55 gear debate over the years and have come to some conclusions through my personal experience:

1. In regards to the aluminum flywheel, I would have to say that the car definitely pulls harder and more consistently with the stock steel flywheel. I felt this with my headers/exhaust/465 RWHP car and also with my 887 RWHP supercharger car. There is no doubt in my mind about this. There is more margin for error(a bigger window/more resolution) in regards to the launch at the threshold between bogging and spinning with the steel flywheel because there is more inertial momentum at the critical moment.

This being said, I do think the aluminum flywheel is definitely better when it comes to heel and toe downshifting in terms of being able to snap the throttle and have the revs rise in an instant to match the lower gear you are about to engage. I also can say the car seems to slow down more quickly in threshold braking with the aluminum flywheel because there is less intertia to change on the deceleration.

My advice to anybody not driving the car to the absolute limit on the track would be to stick to the stock steel flywheel.

2. In regards to the whole gear thing, I have personally witnessed TOOOFST trying the 3.31 and 3.55 gears. Whether he had any of the gears, the result of going through the 1st-4th gears(if he hooked) was about the same as the 3.07 from the factory. He might have pulled a bit harder at the sweet spot of his power curve in that gear than he did with the 3.07, but he soon was right back to where he would have been with the 3.07 when he had to shift where I could just keep going for another 5-600 RPM before I had to shift.

In my opinion, the 3.07 is the gear people should use. It is the gear Dodge put in there for a reason. The other gears make it more difficult for the average Viper guy to hook up and drive the [******] out of his car throughout the multitude of daily driver situations. I am sure there are certain kinds of guys who like to just do a short burst in any given gear who could certainly benefit from a 3.55. But like I said, for overall functionality, the 3.07 cannot be beaten.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, I concurr on your points. But the car is 10X (A STU QUOTE) more fun to drive! It really keeps you in the powerband in fifth and sixth gear. Ever drive a Mustang Cobra with factory 3.07s ? It is a DOGSLED.Put in a set of 3.73s and hold on...00PROWLER... :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456