Am I making what I should be making?

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all! I have some more questions to ask lol. After replacing my fuel pump, I was able to get the car tuned with great success! :) I'm very happy with the numbers but I just want to make sure that I am making what I should be making.

My mods are: 2.4L Roe Supercharger, 8lb pulley, water/**** injection, and I'm currently running on FACTORY headers/exhaust.

On a Dyno Dynamics in 85 degree weather, the car made 537whp/564wtq OFF of the water/****. On water/**** the car made 573whp/580wtq. She feels smooth and still drives like stock! I'm just wondering if this is what I should be making? I remember reading about other 8lb pulley Vipers deep in the 600's... Anyways, I plan to add headers/exhaust soon. Could I expect to be mid 600's or just barely into the 600's?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems a little low, I've seen 5lb set ups in the 550s. My old 2.4 @ 8lb set up made 608 with headers/hiflow cats/Corsa catback. What cats are you running? octane?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems a little low, I've seen 5lb set ups in the 550s. My old 2.4 @ 8lb set up made 608 with headers/hiflow cats/Corsa catback. What cats are you running? octane?

No cats, just testpipes. 91 octane. I figure with headers/exhaust, I would break into the 600's

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree a bit low in my opinion all things being equal (which they are not). Bottlefed (Tim...hey where did you go Tim?) made solid mid 600's on his creampuff engine as well as numerous others as stated. I think as a rule of thumb, most 8 PSI ROEs on W/M are solidly in the 600's.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That octane is holding you back some, I wouldn't worry about the numbers as long as you have a safe reliable tune. Different dynos read differently. If you trust your tuner then it is what it is. Can you post up the dyno sheet?

I would look at a catch can set up to make sure no oil vapors make there way into the intake system (lowing your octane).

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my dyno sheet. AFR's were solidly holding 11.5:1 all across the board. Very happy with how it drives!

You must be registered for see images

Another thing is that this is that my tuner is completely new to Vipers. He's a friend of mine and he owns Richtuned and he offered assistance in tuning. He didn't know much about the VEC2 or how much timing the Viper motors like but after about a cumulative of 20 hours of tuning, this was the end result.

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems pretty low to me but it all depends on how good your tuner is and how well he knows Vipers. Mine made 635 rwhp on a dynojet....8 pounds of boost, 1.7 rockers, headers, no cats, 70mm throttle bodies, Corsa cat back. 93 octane on a 90 degree day. tuned by Joe Donovan, one of the best.;)

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems pretty low to me but it all depends on how good your tuner is and how well he knows Vipers. Mine made 635 rwhp on a dynojet....8 pounds of boost, 1.7 rockers, headers, no cats, 70mm throttle bodies, Corsa cat back. 93 octane on a 90 degree day. tuned by Joe Donovan, one of the best.;)

Hmmm... Can I gain 62whp with 1.7 rockers, 70mm throttle bodies, headers, and exhaust??

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, I highly doubt it. You could probably lean it out a little for better #s, but the tuner will add fuel to it before giving it back for street use.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, I highly doubt it. You could probably lean it out a little for better #s, but the tuner will add fuel to it before giving it back for street use.

Well poo. Kind of sad to see the car not making what it should be :/. At least she drives well!

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not be worried about the numbers unless your planing on drag racing the car competitively and then the trap speed will tell you how accurate the dyno is. Dynos can be off or manipulated to read higher or lower #s. It's a tuning tool. I would go back to the same dyno after the mods to see the pick up of power. How many total pulls did you make to dial it in?

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not be worried about the numbers unless your planing on drag racing the car competitively and then the trap speed will tell you how accurate the dyno is. Dynos can be off or manipulated to read higher or lower #s. It's a tuning tool. I would go back to the same dyno after the mods to see the pick up of power. How many total pulls did you make to dial it in?

Total of about 50 pulls (give or take a few) on the dyno. Initial dyno was 480whp when I got the car so I am happy with what it made haha

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tuning is key. There's many factors to consider. Don't get to centered around the number. If your leak down numbers are good, and engine is solid, then tuning is key.
Some Vipers like timing and others just don't. Not sure if your tuner explored where the point was when you stop making power and then pulled a few degrees out, or just kept it safe and was content on the tune.
There's a shelf in your power curve which could be the methanol coming in too strong on the hit, or a large amount of timing being pulled as well. I tell people if your tuner doesn't have much experience with your specific engine management, exploring the limits could be damaging. Reading the plugs on all 10 cylinders goes a long way :)

Todd

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS. I doubt you can feel 20-25 HP in your car on the street via seat-of-the-pants. Unless you're going to a dyno day with rare and valuable prozes, or dragging the car competitively, don't worry about the numbers.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 pulls? WOW. I'd blow mine up tinkering with it that much. But I probably have that many street tuning pulls over the course of several years....

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yours maybe, but not mine. 635 was on my daily tune at 8 pounds. I'm currently driving it making 660 rwhp on 10 pounds. ;)

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tuning is key. There's many factors to consider. Don't get to centered around the number. If your leak down numbers are good, and engine is solid, then tuning is key.
Some Vipers like timing and others just don't. Not sure if your tuner explored where the point was when you stop making power and then pulled a few degrees out, or just kept it safe and was content on the tune.
There's a shelf in your power curve which could be the methanol coming in too strong on the hit, or a large amount of timing being pulled as well. I tell people if your tuner doesn't have much experience with your specific engine management, exploring the limits could be damaging. Reading the plugs on all 10 cylinders goes a long way :)

Todd

He did both of these as he wasn't sure about how much timing to add. He added a wee bit of timing, did a dyno pull, then pulled the plugs to inspect. Put the plugs back in and do it all over again until the car stopped making power, then he pulled timing to where it would make max power and double checked the plugs.

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here was mine... This is with a 2.4 Roe and 8lbs pulley, built motor, 91 octane, ****, and GG heads. Self tuned.

You must be registered for see images attach

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a screen shot of a couple of my logs for you to compare to yours. This is using an 8lbs pulley, 91 octane, and methanol. Just gives you an idea how far you can take it, adjust timing in stages and take it from there. It's the key with the Roe's if you want to make power. I tune on a back road, 4th gear, and starting from 2,000. Seems to work the best for my application.

2.4 degrees added

7 degrees added