An unbelievable find...

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd like to make a public shout-out to Ricketts who remembered that I had a gold wheel GTS and sent me a PM. It turns out someone had a set of actual (unused) Chrysler, '97 gold front wheels for sale on ebay. They were shipped to me in the original Chrysler box with the actual part number printed on the box. Unfortunately the seller had no background on where these wheels spent the last 13+ years.

So, first a huge thanks to fellow VCA member for hooking me up. :beer:

Second, I'm definitely on a quest to find matching rears. I'm pretty sure I won't find a set still in the box, but I am tossing this out there in case anyone knows of a set for sale.

Thanks Steve!!

Attachments

• gold_wheel.jpg
    gold_wheel.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Are they standard GTS wheels painted gold?

They were actual gold wheels. The box has the original part number. Someone tipped me off about another set, but the guy is in Canada and he doesn't want to ship or even send me photos. I'm willing to drive there if they are in decent shape, but he just wants to deal with someone local. Ugh.

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there's tons of members on this site, maybe see if someone on here is local and will pick them up and ship them to you. Just an idea.

I hope it all works out for you.:2tu:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were actual gold wheels. The box has the original part number. Someone tipped me off about another set, but the guy is in Canada and he doesn't want to ship or even send me photos. I'm willing to drive there if they are in decent shape, but he just wants to deal with someone local. Ugh.

Sorry I guess I don't understand. Are you saying that if you cut the wheel in half the metal would be gold all the way through? They appear painted or plated with something to make them look gold. I would think any good wheel restorer could replicate the finish almost perfectly. Just my .02. Still a nice find given they are original.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
there's tons of members on this site, maybe see if someone on here is local and will pick them up and ship them to you. Just an idea.

That is my hope too. I've asked the guy 3 times to confirm that he is in Clarence Creek, but he hasn't replied. He sent a couple photos, but it looks like he washed them before the pics. I can't tell if some marks are scratches or blades of wet grass.

Sorry I guess I don't understand. Are you saying that if you cut the wheel in half the metal would be gold all the way through? They appear painted or plated with something to make them look gold.

Bad choice of words on my part. :eek: I meant they are gold wheels from Chrysler (they are powder coated) as opposed to aftermarket powdercoating. The box has the product code for the gold wheels.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One of the owners had his wheels chromed. Perhaps he would be interested in this set just to mothball for future resale.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did the pre-delivery inspection on several of these cars. The logo on the hood was very unique.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I did the pre-delivery inspection on several of these cars. The logo on the hood was very unique.

I assume you mean the Sneaky Pete logo on the side. I'm not really sure which post you are replying to, but I'll assume it was my post about the owner who chromed his wheels. Back in 2003, vipernate posted that they chromed a set of gold wheels for the owner of one of these cars. I was suggesting that the owner may be interested in these wheels so he could have original gold wheels for resale value.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i posted about the 4 gold rims on ebay about 20 minutes after they were listed but my tread was deleted, I remembered that someone was looking for gold rims, did you ever find your rear gold rims?

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I bought a full set of used ones in Canada just last weekend. I have 3 brand new fronts, so still watching for new rears. The 4 on ebay now are priced too high. I'll wait.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
A guy in Ohio has 2 sets (he wants $3500 for a set with center caps). I think I'm sitting pretty good right now unless a deal comes by that is too good to pass up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62